FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

=)Lori
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Do ovulation predictors work w/PCOS?

My RE believes I may have PCOS. I have a few of the symptoms, but not all. I'm on Metaforim 1000mg a day. I've been going through ovulation induction treatment with Clomid 50mg & Ovidrel. I've had to take a break from treatment for the last few months due to a large cyst. I've been told that I could get pregnant on my own while I'm on a break. I started using those ovulation predictor sticks and on the directions it says it may not work for people with PCOS. This might explain why I've had trouble using them before. Why wouldn't they work if you have PCOS? Am I not ovulating on my own, even though I have regular periods? My cycle is about 26-28 days.
    Any advice or wisdom would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks
    =) Lori

2. Advertisement

KnittingMarie
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Lori,

The pee on the stick kind of ovulation tests can work for women with PCOS. The reason that the package says that it might not work with PCOSers is because our cycles are usually irregular. So, instead of testing for a week or so out of the month, a PCOSer might need to test two or three weeks during a long cycle. You will probably encounter some ladies here that don’t have much faith in them, but they have been right on for me.

The first six months that my husband and I were “trying” the OBGYN had me testing about nine days out of each cycle. That whole time I never had a positive test. Then, my first cycle on clomid I had gotten to day 15 with negative tests and I did my usual morning routine of peeing on the stick. Well, after six months of negative results you can imagine how shocked I was when I looked at the test and it was positive! I just stared at it in amazement for several minutes, just sitting there on the toilet staring at the stick – I’m sure it was a pretty funny scene. Then I double checked it against the box, to make sure I was reading it right…Yup it was positive! So I immediately called my husband who was about an hour away and had just finished a triathlon and told him to get his butt home! Well, my day 22 progesterone confirmed the ovulation, but BFN for that month.

So, the next month we did the same dose of clomid, but I had problems with bleeding. I had what I would call a normal period that stopped for about two days but then started up again. It was really light but by day 10 of my cycle I called the OBGYN’s office which was not at all helpful (long story, see my blog). They basically told me that there was nothing that they could do. In the meantime I got another positive ovulation test on Day 14…the bleeding was really light that day and by now DH was feeling a little “deprived” (we hadn’t done it for more than two weeks because of the bleeding) so I was able to convince him to have a little BMS despite AF. That was the ONLY time we had sex that month. I did go in for a day 21 progesterone, which came back as negative for ovulation, so I assumed that the OPK was wrong and I didn’t ovulate.

Well after the poor response that I got to my bleeding at the OBGYN’s office I asked for a referral to an RE. My appointment with the RE clinic was on day 35 or so of my second Clomid cycle and I was STILL BLEEDING. They did a PG test at the RE’s office and whadda ya’ know..I was pregnant. I guess I DID ovulate. Well, very sadly, at that same appointment, an u/s revealed that the Clomid had thinned the lining of my uterus and caused the bleeding. I was told I would probably lose the pregnancy. Two days after the appointment my bleeding got much heavier and then stopped.

So now I’m in my third cycle, second medicated cycle, since the miscarriage and they tried Femara (similar to Clomid, but isn’t as likely to thin the uterine lining) but it didn’t work for me. This cycle I’m using the Femara and injections…I’m currently on CD 7 and took the last dose of Femara this morning and will get my first shot this evening……we’ll see what happens!

That’s probably a lot more information than you were looking for, but there it is!
    Dx PCOS in 1999; Married to Jim in 2002
    Proud Mama to five miracles:
    Bonnie 2 years, and The Quads: Melanie, Oliver, Teddy, and Audrey, 7 months!

=)Lori
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Iowa Friend,

Thank you VERY much for you reply! Your story helped me quite a bit and gave me hope. I was ready to throw in the towel on the OPK, but I'm glad I didn't because I got a positive test on Friday morning. I couldn't believe it! I've peed on so many of those sticks and NEVER got a positive. We'll see what happens. I of course would be so happy if we got pregnant, but I'm at least hoping that cyst goes away.

I'm so sorry for your loss! I wish you the best of luck this cycle!

=)Lori

PS Does anyone know when the best time to have BMS after a positive OPK. The box says 24-48 hours, but I'd like some more detailed instructions.

sarathered
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey there Lori,
    Good advice you got there from Miss Iowa (are we all imagining ball gowns, cheesy grins and elbow/wrist waves for the camera? ). I wanted to add that we PCOSers have whacked out hormones too.

My RE told me not to chart BBT or rely too much on the OPK because #1 I'm not normal. I could O on day 5 or on day 25, if I O at all! and #2 My hormones are wonky.

Wonky hormones make it harder for my body to do its job, AND harder for these tests to figure out what my body is doing. I've found, personally, that cervical mucus is a better way for me to judge when I ovulate, plus it's free. It's taken me a long time (three years) to get to know my body well enough to figure it out. Although, having cysts also makes it easier to recognize when O, as there is usually pain involved.

Everyone is different. My OB recommended using OPK for cd 3-21 for three months to figure out which day I typically ovulated.

KnittingMarie
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Lori,

CONGRATS ON THE O!

O'ing is a big deal for us PCOSers!

For what its worth, we only had BMS one time the month that we got the BFP. We did it the very day that I got the positive test. Otherwise, I can't be of too much help here, other than to recommend the standard "every other day" method and the philosophy of trying to do it the day before you O (if possible to predict) in order to have the "little guys" on board and waiting for the egg to make an entrance.

GOOD LUCK! Keep us posted on the progress of your cycle...my first round of injectables is going well, but I feel like a human pin cushion. I have a lot more respect and empathy for diabetics, now. Today, a friend and co-worker asked me if I wanted to join her on Friday for a visit to the employee health clinic for a flu shot. All I could do was groan!
    Dx PCOS in 1999; Married to Jim in 2002
    Proud Mama to five miracles:
    Bonnie 2 years, and The Quads: Melanie, Oliver, Teddy, and Audrey, 7 months!

Paula_in_DE
    is winter over yet?
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cynical
    OPK never worked for me. I had false LH surges for a week straight.

wantsababy2
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    OPKs detect LH levels in the urine. In normal women, there is a low baseline LH early in the cycle, then about 24-36 hours before O, the LH suddenly surges to 3x the baseline level. This surge begins the final maturation process in the egg in preparation for O. OPKs detect this sudden rise in LH.

Most PCOSers have a high baseline LH which can be detected by an OPK but not necessarily represent the surge before O. For some PCOSers, it will appear as though they have many days of + OPKs, which of course is inaccurate. The OPK is only picking up the high baseline LH.

Hope that makes sense.

E'sMommy
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to say the same thing as wantsababy2. The LH levels can really mess with those kits. That being said, remember everyone is different. I used the clearplan fertility monitor and it actually did work for me. I have a 3 year old to show for it. I was never able to get the other kind that come in a box to work though and the clear plan monitor didn't work every time (or I didn't surge every time). The clear plan monitor has a warning regarding PCOS on it relating to the LH. It may be just trial and error for you. Good luck!