FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions

aspelua
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Metformin and heavy period

I am starting my 3rd month on Metformin. I started spotting for about 3 weeks, then my period came and it is not showing any signs of slowing down. It is very heavy and I am on day 8. Another unusual thing is that I am experience little to no cramping.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? I saw the doctor last week (on day 4) and she didn't seem worried, but as I said it is still extremely heavy. Should I be worried?

Thanks,
    Amy

2. Advertisement

solo
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    amy, this has also happened to me. you need to call your doctor. you may need a striod to stop the bleeding. I would call as soon as possiable. Hope all goes well.
    "ranger" our dear One born oct 2006
    loved and missed.
    I own my own business. Ask me how you can too!!!!!!!!!!!!

MarinaTwinMom
    says hello!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine
    I'm having a similar problem ... I've had two "extra" periods this month in the three weeks I've been on Metformin. They aren't heavy, but they're definitely heavier than spotting. I'm on birth control pills, too, so I shouldn't be having goofy cycles.

I'm curious to know if this is normal at first, and if it goes away once someone has been on Metformin for a while. (I'm only on 500 mg at this point).
    and

Lauren2005
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Amy,

If it's unusual for you to have no cramping, then you need to be checked out for endometriosis (if you haven't been already.) Cramping = endo. My RE noted that most endo women are overlooked for PCOS, and most PCOS women are overlooked for endo, and yet the two are closely related.

I just got AF for the first time since starting Met. I don't have answers for you but am reading others' responses with interest...

Lauren