FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

LenaLaine
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Question PCOS and getting pregnant...how hard is it?

Hi all. This is my first post on here. I have been reading some of the threads and the information is wonderful! I'm so happy I found this site!

I was diagnosed with PCOS a year ago and it has really depressed me. I don't know alot about this condition...which is one reason I'm so happy for this site. My question is this: my doctor put me on glucaphage (sp?) and I took it for a while and had a "regular" period for about 2 or 3 months. The medicine made me feel AWFUL so, I stopped taking it. Now, here it is May and I haven't had a period since October. Normally I wouldn't be too upset about that (LOL) but, me and my husband are really wanting to get pregnant. Anyway...how hard is it (usually) to get pregnant when you have PCOS? Are there certain meds you have to take in order for it to happen or what? My doctor keeps saying "just be patient" but...I can't be patient. I had a miscarriage back in November 2003 (before I was diagnosed with PCOS) and we just really want to start our family now. I am 23 and he is 34. Thank you all for your input...I appreciate all the help I can get (or info I should say).

Lena
    Last edited by LenaLaine; 05-11-2005 at 11:11 PM.

2. Advertisement

Kristina921
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi there and welcome.

My first question- were you taking the Glucophage ER? The extended release version is much easier on the stomach and I really had no bad effects from it. I think if you are confirmed PCOS and are wanting to get pg, you really need to be on it. Not only will it help regulate your cycles (like you saw when you took it) but it also helps reduce the risk of miscarriage for women with PCOS. My doctor said that once I get pg, I will stay on it for at least 3 months or longer into the pg.

As for how hard it is to get pg....it seems like it's different for everyone. Some women can get pg on the glucophage alone by it regulating AF. I've heard some good things about clomid also...I really think the first thing you should do is talk to your doctor about glucophage or something like it to get your cycles regulated.
    Me - 28 , DH - 30
    ttc # 1 ,
    4 Angels in Heaven

confirmed PCOS 07/04
    http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/13980e

bayoubaby1
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Blah
    I agree that you must have your cycles regulated, or you do not even have a chance. Without ovulation you can not get pg. I also had problems with the glucophage, but now I am on the ER Fortamet, and have had hardly any problems at all. As far as lenght of time that it takes to get pg...some people get pg right away when their cycles are regulated without any other meds. Many others take lots of other roads to try and concieve. I personally have been trying since 1994 to have a child, and it was then that I was diagnosed with PCOS. I have been on metformin for four years now to help control it, and had an ovarian drilling in 2002. Presently my PCOS is under control, but I have still had no luck getting PG, so after too many Clomid cycles and IUI's, we have moved on to IVF, which usually works well for those of us with PCOS. Just remember that everyone is different, and in the earlier stages you have lots more luck from what I understand. You age is definatley in your favor at this point! I wish you lots of luck.
    IVF/ICSI #1 Chance Ian:4-5-06
    Our little miracle:
    http://chanceian.blogspot.com/

Each day as I watch you struggle I am reminded to find joy in the little things, to stop and smell the flowers, and that some things are more important than material things. Your smile melts my heart, and takes the chronic pain away, if only for a fleeting moment. Thank you for the joy that you bring, my son.

eaglet
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lena - here are my thoughts:

1. Anytime it's been more than three months since your last period, you should call your ob/gyn for a prescription of provera to bring on your period. This is important to help prevent endometrial cancer.

2. I second what Kristina said - if you were having lots of trouble with the side effects, try the extended release version, Glucophage XR or Metformin ER. You take them once per day. Most people find that the side effects are substantially less than on the regular.

3. Find a new doc, preferrably an RE. Any doc who says that the only thing you need to get pg with PCOS is patience has got to be joking. Sure, patience is a good thing to have, but some kind of treatment is usually necessary. If you're not having cycles, you're not ovulating, and if you're not ovulating, it is simply not possible to get pregnant. Not possible. Sure, you could ovulate out of the blue, but the chances are so small of that happening, let alone that you'd be having BMS on the correct day, that it makes no sense to wait to do treatment.

Along these lines, when you haven't had a period in a while, it is good to do the provera to bring one on for the purpose of re-setting the hormone receptors (don't know if I can explain that right now).

4. It can be easy, it can be hard, it all depends on the couple and what other characteristics they have (e.g. other infertility issues, age, etc.). Youth is definitely on your side. At your age, with that kind of time, I'd say you'll definitely get pg eventually, though it may take time to find the right formula, so to speak.

5. Diet and exercise may be beneficial, though often are not enough alone. A lower-carb diet would be the way to go (you can ask others about this, I am no expert on diets).

Good luck and please keep us updated!!
    -eaglet

LenaLaine
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all so much. No...I wasn't on the Glucophage XR or the Metaformin ER...it was just the regular kind. I didn't even feel like getting out of bed...at all. I was really dizzy and had horrible cases of nausea. Thanks again for all your info...I'm gonna see about the Glucophage XR or Metaformin ER...hopefully that will "help" me (as far as the side effects). Also...what is the Provera and Clomid y'all mentioned? I've never heard of either of those. Thanks!

Selena

Allie P
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Lena
    I just wanted to write what I thougth as I read your post.
    Its sound great that you were having a regular period while on the glucaphage! That is a good sign that that it was working. The question is ... were you also ovulating? Have you been able to talk to your oby gyn about ttc? CAn you be referred to an RE?
    The other thing that you mentioned is that the gluc made you very sick, many other women have had this same side effect and have used the extended release with much success. You might want to ask your doctor if this is somthing that you can try.
    As for your question about sucess.... I am on Metformin (same as gluc). I started out at 1000mg a day for 2 months and then the RE uped my dosage to 1500 mg. It never made me sick so I am on the regular Met. I was put on the 1500mg and took provera for 10 days to get a period. On day 5-9 of my cycle I took Clomid at 50 mg. I was monitored and had 2 u/s on cd 11. I had 1 mature follicle and a few more that were begining to mature I started using the ovulation predictor kit (OPK) on day 11 of my cycle and got a possitive surge on cd 17. (but many PCOS don't get accurate resuts, for some reason I did) I then got a possitive pg test on cd 32. I got pg on my first cycle of clomid but everyone is different. I believe that the Metformin did help (my Reproductive Endocrinologist said that about 80% of patients taking the metformin/gluc will start having periods and ovulate on their own after 3 months of taking it) I think that the % is a little high but think that the met and clomid together help many PCOSers. I have a sister and 2 cousins with PCOS and we all have had different experiences! So its a matter of finding what works for you. I know how hard this PCOS is!!! The symptoms suck. TTC is hard and so disappointing after months of having negative HPT results and wondering "what is wrong with me". As for me it has been hard because I feel like less of a women!! The TTCing is important , so important, but it is also soooooo important to find out what works for total health in the long run. There are many resources here to help with that too. Its really nice to talk to women on this site and know that when they say "I know what you are talking about" they really do! I'm glad that you found this site too!

Allie
    Allie

PCOS
    ttc#1 1 year
    1st cycle of clomid 50 mg
    metformin 1500 mg

JulieB2
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Selena!

Welcome to the board Provera is a synthetic form of progesterone. Usually it is taken for ten days and after that ten days you will have a period. It sort of mimics the way things are supposed to go in your body if we worked like everyone else This is very important so that the lining of your uterus is shed keeping it healthy. Like others said, atleast every three months. While not fun for sure, it will definitely guard against cancer.

Clomid is an ovulation inducing drug. Many folks have had great success using it alone or with metformin. I conceived my daughter using clomid alone. This time around we are using a combo of metformin and clomid. Metformin will do wonders for straightening out your cycles (as you mentioned it was..which is awesome!) and getting your hormones back in line.

Like the other ladies said, definitely get back on metformin ER, i was taking the regular and was SO sick from it that i couldnt handle it. Was switched to the ER version and WOW what a difference. Hardly any side effects at all and got my cycles going on their own. No ovulation on my own yet, but i count the cycling as a very positive step in that direction.
    Julie
    Busy Mom to my one and only beautiful dd

"Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage." ~ Lao Tzu ~

sraogirl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Sharing my story...

Hi Lena,
    I know eaxctly what u are going thru as I was in your shoes in the very near past.
    I want to share my story with you. My husband was diagnised with azoospermia and had a corrective surgery for the same 5 years back. Just when he did fine with his sperm counts and motility rates,I was diagnised with PCOS (abt 2 yrs ago) when we approached a fertility expert for conception/ He put me on glucophage (1000 mg) and cortizone (very small dose) for abt 6-8 months. I had the same problem of not menstruating for months and months (sometime 6-8 months!). Taking glucophage really did not dramatically regualrize my period.

Then he suggested to go for ovolution induction followed by IUI(injections & ultrasounds and whole nine yards!). First cycle (in Nov 2003) failed as I made too many eggs and he cancelled IUI procedure due to this.

Next cycle (this in Feb 2004), I went on birth control pills for a month and on Lupron injections followed by ovolution injections. I was ready for IUI in March 2nd week. March last week I tested pregnant . No complications whatsoever and had a wonderful pregnancy and gave birth to my beatiful daughter on Dec 1st 2004. She's just entering her 6th month and has changed our lives for ever for better... It was like a miracle for both of us, as it looked so impossible we would ever see this happening...

So ... moral of the story is : Of course there is plenty of hope!!! I want to tell u that I had no side effects with Glucophage and I think it really helped me. I also kept my self very active while I was on this. I worked out in the Gym for an hour everyday and ate right kind of foods etc..

So please keep your spirits up and hopefully things should work out for the best very soon!

Keep us posted on everything else and u are in my prayers...

Take care
    Suma
    d