FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

hillari
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

uncontrollable laughter

Our daughter has been diagnosed with SPD. Maybe she has other things as well. Lately in the last month or two, she gets this uncontrollable laughter and she can't stop. Even when she is crying she gets it. Anyone else experiece this? What do you do? We are very frustrated with this behavior and have not found something that works.

2. Advertisement

4sweeties
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Goodness help me, but I remembered the term "gelastic" when I read your post and here is wikipedia's definition.

Gelastic is a term often used in medical terminology to indicate an association of a symptom or syndrome with laughter. The word originates from the Greek gelastikos -- gelaein , to laugh.

Examples include:

Gelastic epilepsy or epileptic seizure. The seizures of gelastic epilepsy are characterized by spells of involuntary laughter.Gelastic epilepsy often results from a developmental abnormality of the brain known as hypothalamic hamartoma.

I have heard of gelastic laughter being a symptom of asd.

I don't have good advice or anything, but you're not alone with this, someone on the board might have more experience.
    J 15
    J 13
    N 10
    M 6

momla
    now has a status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hopeful
    Hmmmmm. Very interesting. I swear, Becky is a wealth of knowledge!!!
    Momla Mommy to (10), (7)
    Baby Girl due April 27th!!

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss it you will land among the stars." ~Les Brown

CathyNY
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My son sometimes laughs in situations you wouldn't expect: situations where he is tense or having to cope with something difficult for him, like eating in a swanky restaurant. I think he does this to relieve tension and buy himself some time. Your daughter's laughter sounds as if it's on a different level, though. Yes, inappropriate laughter can be a symptom of an autistic spectrum disorder.
    Cathy
    and Nicky, seven years old

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.
    --Beverly Sills

Suebee
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My son has Asperger's and does a type of play therapy with a little girl that is also on the spectrum and she has this laughter symptom. I know her mother finds it frustrating as others will see her daughter and just think she is having fun when the reality is she is so stressed and over stimulated that she can not do anything else. So the answer is yes I have heard about it and seen it on a weekly basis at therapy.

Sue
    Suebee
    Cancer Survivor
    Life is one surprise after another!