FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Midnight78
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

What is a 30-32 week preemie like?

I've been dealing with a short cervix and have been on bed rest for the past 8 weeks. I'm 30 weeks now and have relaxed a little about going into preterm labor. I'm just wondering what to expect with a preemie if I were to go into labor in the next 2 weeks.

Thanks!
    Me:33 DH:34 TTC#1 Aug'08
    Oct'08: D&C missed
    Feb'09: Hysteroscopic resection, septated uterus.
    May'09: D&C missed after excellent betas & heartbeats. Turners Syn. RPL Panel-clear.
    Aug'09-Dec 09: Clomid/GonalF IUIs, failed.
    Mar'10: Taking mental break, BFP
    Beautiful DD 11/24/10
    Jan'12: chemical
    May'12: IUI gonalf. BFP
    Due date: Feb 4, 2013

2. Advertisement

m(or)
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would ask your ob/peri to let you talk to the NICU peds. They will often give you a tour of the NICU, just in case.
    There are so many variables that your baby's issues may be very different from another.
    Has your doctor given you steroid shots to help the baby's lung development? That is something else to ask.
    M
    Wife to W Married 31 years
    Mommy to dd K 16 years old and
    ds M and dd C 13 years old

Midnight78
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your reply. I have no signs of preterm labor. My cervix was 2.0 at 24 weeks with no funneling or anything. My high risk OB didn't think bedrest was necessary but I didn't want to take any chances. He discharged me back to my OB. I've been taking vaginal prometrium as well.

So, no reason for shots yet. I go back to my high risk at 34 weeks to measure the baby due to gestational diabetes.
    May'09: D&C missed after excellent betas & heartbeats. Turners Syn. RPL Panel-clear.
    Beautiful DD 11/24/10

CrystalAZ
    has a status! Booyah!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Wyatt was born at 31w2d.

He was 3 pounds 2 ounces.

The preemie clothing was too big for him, but he wore it anyway.

He was very red for several weeks.

He couldn't maintain his body temperature, so he was kept in a heated isolette until about what would have been the 34 week mark. We were allowed to reach in and hold his hands/feet, and were also allowed to take him out and do kangaroo care, which is skin-to-skin cuddling. I think putting his head on my chest and having him listen to my heart was very good for him. He always calmed down when I was holding him.

The suck/swallow/breathe reflex doesn't kick in until 34 or 35 weeks, so he was fed via a tube in his nose for the first couple weeks. We gave him small amounts of breast milk as he'd take it, from the beginning, starting with drops from a syringe. I pumped while he was in the NICU and ended up with a nice amount of frozen milk since I pumped much more than he'd take.

Hmm... what else?

We were lucky, as he had no medical issues besides being tiny. He was designated as a "feeder/grower" and he just had to stay in the NICU until he maintained his temp, could eat properly, showed continuous growth, and passed the car seat test. He came home after 1 month in NICU.

I second the steroids! Wyatt had the shots, and he was on room air the first night after he was born. Definitely do that if you are at risk for early delivery.

Take care of yourself, and good luck! If you can make it to 34 weeks, you'll have a much easier time, and possibly no NICU stay for your little one at all.

Crystal

Midnight78
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the info! Your son is gorgeous. I know that my OB will do the steroid shots if I start having contractions. I don't think he will do anything now, as he thinks things are ok. The gosselin kids were 30 weekers, and they are ok. I'm so worried about a cord accident that I almost want this baby to come early. I'll probably go off bedrest at 34 weeks.
    Beautiful DD 11/24/10

jan21
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    BARGING here, as my girls were 36 weekers.

I don't understand why your doc won't give you the steroid shots? I also agree you should ask for a NICU tour.

Even at 30 weeks they would likely be fine, but really keeping them in as long as possible is in their best interest - yes the Gosselin's were fine, but there are probably other 30 weekers who are NOT, and it would be a rough ride with them in the NICU for at least 6 weeks or so. You really DON'T want them to be born at 34 weeks if it's not necessary. Even at 36 weeks, mine could have used a little more "cooking." I had just an awful time with breastfeeding, which I had really wanted to do exclusively. They had a LOT of trouble latching on and staying awake long enough to eat (they'd finally latch on, then fall asleep within a min or 2; then they wake up again 15 later crying because they were hungry - think of this going on ALL night). They had trouble regulating their temperatures - they couldn't stay in my room very long before the nurse would grab them to go get warmed up in the nursery. One was jaundiced.

I think the reality is a cord accident is LESS likely than some kind of complications from them being born too early.

Anyway, I'm sure all will be fine. Take care.
    Janice
    L&E 11/00

Midnight78
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    This whole steroid shot thing is confusing. I thought you get the shots if you go into preterm labor. I thought they only lasted for a short period of time. My OB doesn't want me taking any classes until after 34 weeks, so I'm taking the childbirth classes the beginning of November along with the ABCs of taking care of a newborn. I'll have to ask about a NICU tour.
    Beautiful DD 11/24/10

B
    is trying to keep on keeping on...
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy
    All my kids had the steroids administered due to being in PTL. They develop the lungs and I would not pass go if you have the signs of going into PTL. My son was 35w, 5lb 14oz, no NICU and perfect. My twins were 31w5d, I was on hospital bedrest for almost 2 weeks and home bed rest for ~3weeks. They were 3lb9oz and 4lb1oz. Like Wyatt, my girls needed to feed and grow and that they did. My perinatologist and OB worked so hard to keep them in me as long as they could without compromising my health. The morning of 31w5d, my heart rate dropped too low to continue some of the meds so off we went to the operating room.

If I were you, I would stay on bed rest. You are almost there. Do not wish for a preemie for any reason. It's not easy in many cases. Heck, a newborn is not easy!!!

I wish you the best.

B
    B
    1/06 Our 35w FET Miracle
    5/09 Doubly Blessed 31w5d FET bundles of joy

Thank you God. You've made our dreams come true.

M&M
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My dd was born at 35 weeks and was 5lbs, 12oz. No NICU and perfect. My ds was born at 30w4d and 4lbs1oz. He was in the NICU for 2.5 weeks and primarily a feeder and grower too. He did great in the NICU but has been sick quite a bit. Nothing serious, but everything seems to hit his lungs, so we've dealt with a lot of respiratory issues, like RSV etc.. Some of this may be due to having an older sibling in preschool and being exposed to a lot of stuff early on, but who knows. Hr also has been challenging to feed from the day he came home. He does not like to eat and remains small, with his weight still not on the charts at 20m old now.

TruBrit(2)
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy
    Keep up the hard work and do your best to keep the baby in as long as possible.

My son was born at 32w3d. I had the steroid shots. Something to think about: Not sure if it is the same everywhere - but I had to have two and they are given 24 hrs apart - and take 24hrs to be effective. I had one on a Thursday morning, the next one on Friday morining - and fortunately by son was born 24 hrs after that one on Saturday morning. He was breathing room air from birth.
    He was 5lb 5oz (considered LGA).
    He spent just over 3 weeks in NICU (step down care - feeding / growing)
    He had to fight jaundice - was under the billi lights for 3-4 days. Was in an incubator (isolette) for just over a week - before he could maintain his temp.
    He had a few A's and B's. Had to go 5 days without any before he could come home - and also had to pass the car seat test (he failed his first one - this was right before he got 'sick').
    After about 2 weeks he got 'sick' - scariest 24hrs of my life - they never did find out what it was - he recovered on his own - they put it down to respiratory distress syndrome of prematurity.
    It's a rough road. I was able to room in with my guy - and barely left his side for 3 weeks. Some NICU's don't allow that. I could not imagine having to leave the hospital and not be with him 24/7.
    Finally - I desperately wanted to breastfeed. I pumped. He was initially fed EBM by tube and then bottle. He never learned to latch and I ended up pumping for about 5 months - never once fed him from my breast - something I really feel like I missed out on (espeically since he is my one and only).

He is now a non stop, chatterbox soon to be 5 and is the joy of my life. He's never had any issues since leaving the hospital at just over 3weeks of age.

In the long run - everything will work out fine. But the longer you can keep baby inside - the better.

Best of luck with everything.
    Last edited by TruBrit(2); 10-06-2010 at 08:03 AM.
    blessed with IVF/ICSI miracle 12/05

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast