FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    em4444
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

How long did you bleed after birth of twins?

Ladies,
    Random question...how long did you bleed after birth of your mutliples. My LOs are 4 months today and I am still having bleeding. It stops for a couple days and then comes back. It is red not brown. I brought it up to my dr multiple times, even got an ultrasound at about 11 weeks postpartum and they didn't see any retained placenta. I am breastfeeding so I thought that is supposed to make you bleed less.
    I just wonder if I should get a second opinion. This seems ridiculous!!!
    TIA
    Em

2. Advertisement

Lori O
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That does seem excessively long.

I was surprised at how LITTLE I bled after the birth of my twins...but they were a c-section, and I guess they 'clean things out' pretty well with the surgery...vs. a vaginal birth (which I had with my firstborn...and I bled almost all the way until my 6 week postpartum check.)

Breastfeeding does make the uterus contract, which can cause bleeding. For me, using a hospital grade breast pump made my bleeding *restart* when my twins were a month old.

You def. need a second opinion. 4mths is way too long for this to still be going on. Call tommorrow!
    Lori O
    Very lucky mom to OK, JP and JE
    m/c 11/95 m/c 7/03

"Is is nice to be important...but it's more important to be nice..." from a fortune cookie!

jan21
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd get a 2nd opinion too.

I had a vaginal delivery and bled maybe 6-8 weeks tops. And I had a severe post partum hemorrage - needed 2 blood transfusions (was still passing some clots about a week post-partum - sorry if TMI).
    Last edited by jan21; 06-13-2010 at 02:11 PM.
    Janice
    L&E 11/00

em4444
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! The Dr said it is normal with twins, but I had never heard that nor have I ever read it in a twin book. 4 months seems a little crazy! I will call tomorrow to see another dr....

Lois
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Hopeful
    I can't recall for sure, but I think it was 6-8 weeks for me too, (Csec), but after 6 weeks it was much less. I used to have the heaviest bleeding during the night after nursing. 4 months seems a bit long.
    Lois
    H&S, 10/01, IVF
    R, 10/04, Natural

em4444
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a vag and a csection (tons of fun let me tell you The dr said they clean out well during c section...so why am I still bleeding!! She is really nice but doesn't seem to be helping me!

yelhsalehcar
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    In Love
    I would definitely get a second opinion. I had a vag delivery and I bled heavy for maybe 2 weeks. It mostly stopped and I was wearing lightdays except for ONE day when I passed a large clot (sorry if TMI) at about 3 weeks. And that was it until my period started 2 months later.
    M&A = G&Z&baby{girl}

bebehope
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a c-section and I bled for about 6=7 weeks. 4 months is longer than I've heard about. Let us know about the 2nd opinion!

sheryl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Quote Originally Posted by em4444 View Post
    I had a vag and a csection (tons of fun let me tell you The dr said they clean out well during c section...so why am I still bleeding!! She is really nice but doesn't seem to be helping me!
    I had one of each, too. I also know the fun you had. And I believe that I bled for 6 weeks. Not much after the first week or so, but enough to be bothered with it.
    Sheryl - 49 yrs old
    Proud Mommy to B & B - Jan 2002

2+ yrs IF - 14 IUIs - 3 m/c (2 during IF, 1 years ago) - last injectable cycle worked!

God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain, but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.

laurarab
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    i bled for about 3 mos--then had an ultrasound to make sure nothing was 'left'--showed it was fine physically---saw an accupuncturist who thought it was a hormone imbalance and in 2 treatments i was fine/stopped bleeding....btw: now 4 mos later i discovered i am anemic assuming from mos of blood loss--even though the bleeding was pretty light--so watch out for that too--i recommend accupuncture..good luck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast