FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tess914
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

How much do you pay a babysitter for watching twins?

Hi gals,
    New to this...My twins are 5 months old and I have a very reliable girl who works at my 3yo sons daycare who is willing to babysit for us for the twins every now and again. My son goes to daycare 2 days a week so I thought if I could have her come for even just a few hours at least one of those days, I could get alot done (since the 3 yo is at school) and have some sanity back in my life. Just a question....we've paid her about 8-10/hr inthe past to watch my toddler...what would you pay her for the twins. They are very easy babies (not that that matters too much) but just fyi. I asked her and she said whatever I think...she's a bit shy but I love her and want to pay her appropriately.
    Thanks!
    TESS
    Me/DH 38
    3 IUI's BFN
    IVF#1 BFP Beta#1 6/23 135, Beta Hell: #2 6/27 203, Beta#3 6/29 270-RE said prob nonviable, Beta #4 7/3 819! US 7/12 =
    IVF#2 6/08, IVF#3 9/08, IUI#4 11/08 - BFN
    IVF#4 1/09 BFP! 1st Beta 282, 2nd 597! It's B/G TWINS! [/B][/I]!

2. Advertisement

kandm
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I pay my babysitter $15/hour to watch my 16 month old twins. She's a mom of two teenagers and has lots of experience with twins. I think $15/hour is the going rate for two kids for an experienced babysitter in our area. It'd probably be cheaper for a high school student or teenager.

jamie_n_g
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I pay my babysitter $10 an hour, but mine are older. She started watching them when they were 2. However, I think she would've done it then for $10 and she's wonderful with children.
    Jamie
    IVF #1 07/05 - BFP! Twins!
    My girls were born 4/4/06

If it doesn't make sense, then it's usually not true - Judge Judy

Sophia1212
    loves laundry... when they are clean.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Tired
    It depends on the area and type, but when we were living in the city, we paid $17/hr. Now the kids are in preschool/daycare and the cost is totally different, but when she offers parents Parents' Nights where we can leave the kids for an extra four hours, it's $20 per child ($5/hr/child). She can do it for low cost since there are about 5 or 6 parents who take advantage of it so she makes like $30-45/hr.

I haven't used a babysitter since moving here, so I don't know what I would pay one person to come over and watch my kids, but I would assume it to be around $10/hr/child, and higher for both kids.
    BFP on first IVF with triplets!!
    Little Angel lives on through them 12/15/05
    I never met you, but I know you. I never held you, but I feel you. You don't cry, but I hear you. Thank you for M and S. You would like them a lot.

RIP Shelbey (Aug 12, 2011) I miss you like crazy.

yelhsalehcar
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    In Love
    Oh wow, now I feel really cheap.

The one and only time I've had a babysitter I paid her $8.00 an hour. It was at night, and all she had to do was change their diapers once, give them a bottle, and put them to bed. Then she just sat in the living room and played on the computer for the rest of the night until I got home. But, from what I've heard, that is average of what people pay here.
    M&A = G&Z&baby{girl}

Lois
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Hopeful
    This type of thing varies GREATLY from area to area....obviously if she works at a daycare she's relatively experienced.....I would ask around....I would say in general for a baby (less than 12 months or so), a dollar or 2 more /hour than for older, and for twins, maybe a dollar or two more than for one....but if this is going to be for just a few hours where they don't really nap or eat or anything and she just has to play and supervise and maybe change them, that might be different than for a whole evening of stuff.....I'm probably no help at all.
    Lois
    H&S, 10/01, IVF
    R, 10/04, Natural

triciaism
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I pay my sitter/nanny $10.00hr. for my girls - they are just over a yr. old and she's been watching them since they were 8m.
    Different areas pay different amounts. Most daycares - don't pay much better than minimum wage for thier "teachers", I know because I used to teach in one. Plus - if it's cash money and she's not paying taxes on it, it's like more money per hour
    Tricia
    Me 37yrs. Dh 44
    DX: PCOS 7yrs. no nat. miracle add Metformin, Clomid, Repronex, Lupron, & 2+yrs. = 7 IUI's, 2 OHSS, 1 MC after hb THEN finally 8th cycle:Last Chance IUI 7/25/08 BFP
    EDD: 4/18/09. . .DOB: 1/28/09
    6m3d after last IUI
    "2" 28wk Miracles

BF'd 6m6d!

lianyla
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine
    Mine are 28 months now and I've never had a babysitter. I don't even know one. But, I would pay no more than 8.00 per hour if I did. A. I couldn't afford to pay more and B. nothing I had to do would be important enough to spend more $ than that!

dmbucky7
    is ready for a break...from LIFE!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Bitchy
    I am either way off or our area pays cheaper I have asked all of our sitters what they charge and every one responds with "it doesn't matter" or "whatever you can do". I love the sitters we have so want to pay them right but it seems we might be too cheap LOL!! Two of our sitters starting watching the boys when they were 3. We gave them $5/hr. They were both PT'd and pretty self-sufficient and well-behaved so I felt it was fair... Then, when Addison came around, we gave them $7/hr, yet we barely ever left her with a sitter since she was never happy with anyone else. Now, we have Nolan too so if we leave all 4 we pay $10/hr. I have asked them time and time again if they need/want more and they say "no". I really do hope they are being truthful with me...makes me wonder and feel bad. But, really, we can barely afford to pay $10/hr so we barely ever leave them. If I had to pay $15-20/hr for my 4 kids, there is no way we'd ever be going out!!
    DMB
    P&C - 10/07/04
    A - 10/15/08
    N - 9/23/09

Check us out on Facebook!! Hair Accessories and Jewelry with more to come!!
    Dreaming Tree Designs
    In need of gently used clothes? Check us out on Facebook - Bucky's Bin http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...51290688281344 We're a smoke-free, pet-free home.

Lois
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Hopeful
    Diane, rates in the Midwest are lower than the coasts. Also probably depends on the age/experience of your sitter too.
    Lois
    H&S, 10/01, IVF
    R, 10/04, Natural

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast