FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    triciaism
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Full Term for twins?

Hi,
    I'm just 8wks w/twins but wondering what you were told was full term w/two? My RE said if I make it to 32wks I'm good and when I said I thought 34-35 was full term for twins he said if you get there you are golden. Don't have my first ob appoint. for a few more weeks but curious. I realize it's different for each person but . . .
    What were you told?
    How far did you get before induction/c-sec/natural labor?
    Did you do modified activity or bedrest and at what week? (I'm a preschool teacher and curious if/when they might put me on modified or off duty completely).

Again - I relize it's different for everyone but trying to get a general idea of what to expect for me w/work/delivery/etc. if things go somewhat in the "normal" for twin pregnancy range.

Thanks in advance!
    Me 37yrs. Dh 44
    DX: PCOS 7yrs. no nat. miracle add Metformin, Clomid, Repronex, Lupron, & 2+yrs. = 7 IUI's, 2 OHSS, 1 MC after hb THEN finally 8th cycle:Last Chance IUI 7/25/08 BFP
    EDD: 4/18/09. . .DOB: 1/28/09
    6m3d after last IUI
    "2" 28wk Miracles

BF'd 6m6d!

2. Advertisement

Bernadette
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I was told 38 weeks was full term.
    My twin pg was my second, I had a 3.5 year old to care for during my pg but it did go well. I was never on bedrest, but I sure laid on the couch a lot
    I was very lucky to have a carefree pg. and went to my due date. I was induced two days later.

My sister has 20 yo twins. She only found out she was carrying twins at 33 weeks !
    Her water broke when she was nearly 37 weeks.

Congratulations, I hope you enjoy a smooth pg
    Bernadette

Anna....14
    Frederick 10, dx with autism at 27 mo old
    Grace 10
    Julian 2

_g_
    has no idea what this status is for.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine
    i was told 38 weeks was term.
    my twins were born at 36w exactly , and spent 9 days in the nicu. i thought they would have been coming home with me because i was told after 35 weeks i could come off of bedrest. i started bedrest at 22 weeks, some of it was in the hospital. i never had measured preterm labor. bedrest was strict- lie on the left, bathroom trips permitted only and brushing teeth when i was already up. standing showers every 3 days, 1 gallon drinking water per day.
    g
    9 yrs 9/14/01 twins 8 yrs 1/24/03 6 yrs 1/11/05

whip
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on your twin pregnancy!!!

What were you told? Jan 2, 2006 (we were told we were prego on Dec 19, 2005 so I was 6 wks). Our OB told us 36 weeks was our goal.

How far did you get before induction/c-sec/natural labor? My dr told me he would write me out at week 25 but I was feeling great so I kept working. I stopped working at week 28 and ironically was placed on bedrest within days. Then hospitalized at week 29 with preeclampsia. I was dx with severe eclampsia within days of being in the hospital. The kids were delivered via c-section after Baby A's water broke on week 30 day 4.

As you mentioned, everyone's pregnancy is different. I was shocked to hear I had to be admitted into the hospital b/c my goal was 36 weeks and I was feeling great! The kids spent 37 days in the NICU.

Good luck!!!
    Me 39, DH 41, married 9/22/01
    Our miracle babies arrived at wk 30 day 4 on 6/21/06

trips+1
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I thought 38 was term for twins too. My trio came at 35w 3d. Good luck and smooth sailing on your pregnancy!
    Melissa (37) Proud wife to Jason (39), mommy to Kori (8), Alexis, Morgan and Kamryn (4).

My crazy life! http://rusley-mania.blogspot.com/

triciaism
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you ladies - it just gives me a good perspective. I'm assuming he ment the babies should be fine from 32wks on - I just felt that was very early for delivery.
    Thank you again for your stories! I've been lurking around here since I found out and there are such great tips here!
    Me 37yrs. Dh 44
    DX: PCOS 7yrs. no nat. miracle add Metformin, Clomid, Repronex, Lupron, & 2+yrs. = 7 IUI's, 2 OHSS, 1 MC after hb THEN finally 8th cycle:Last Chance IUI 7/25/08 BFP
    EDD: 4/18/09. . .DOB: 1/28/09
    6m3d after last IUI
    "2" 28wk Miracles

BF'd 6m6d!

Caseylee
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on your twin pregnancy! My twins are three months old and I still on cloud nine. I believe 38 weeks is term for twins and I was lucky to get to 38 weeks. My doctor mentioned getting to 32 weeks a lot throughout my pregnancy. I think the babies will do much better if you make it to 32 weeks so everyone breathes a little sigh of relief when you get to that point.

3monkeys
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations!

My dr said 36 was considered term for twins. I stopped working at 26 wks, and was told to "take it easy". I also had a 3.5 yr old who was in full time preschool. I was hospitalized at 29w5d and delivered my twins at 29w6d. They spent 45 and 49 days in the hospital (NICU and step-down). They are now healthy 8 yr olds.

Lori O
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I was told 36 weeks was considered term for twins.
    My water broke at 36w5d, and my boys were born healthy. We all came home together 4 days after the c-section.

32 weekers usually are 'fine'...but they are premature, usually have some combination of breathing/temperature control, feeding issues...and they def. have some time in the N.I.C.U. But most thrive and come home a few weeks later...just keep that in your definition of 'fine'.

I am a preschool teacher too, but wasn't working prior to my twins.
    I already had a 3 year old when I got pg with my duo...and was already a SAHM from a month before she was born. I went back to teaching when the twins went to Kindergarten.

Knowing what the job entails, even in a picture perfect twin pg...you will probably need some accomodations before you go out on leave. Sitting in those teeny tiny chairs will be an issue! Bending over for any reason will be difficult. Chasing any 'runners' will be out.

If your Director can make the modifications for you, you might be able to stay on longer...but you will really need to wait and see how you are feeling.

Good luck!
    Lori O
    Very lucky mom to OK, JP and JE
    m/c 11/95 m/c 7/03

"Is is nice to be important...but it's more important to be nice..." from a fortune cookie!

flicka7
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    38 weeks is full term but my RE said the average is 35 weeks. I asked for a csection date and my OB said not to worry, I wouldn't make it to 38 weeks.

My water broke at 32w3d and my twins were in the NICU for 3 1/2 weeks.

Just be sure to take it easy at the end! Good Luck!
    Me & DH, 47
    POF, 6 IVF's, 2 m/c, finally successful with DE
    5, twins & 3.5

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast