FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lalalalala
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Nanny Rates for Twins

Wondering what you all consider a fair rate per hour for a part-time nanny / sitter for 8-month old twins. I am really looking for somewhere between a nanny and "mother's helper" since I am a SAHM and am around much of the time the person will be here. I run things, make the baby food, do the laundry, etc., so don't expect any "extras," cleaning, etc. I was paying $15/hr. but our sitter is moving so wondering if that's what I should offer the next person. If it's fair, would like to offer more like $12 or $13. We are in Chicago. Thanks.

2. Advertisement

Twins_Squared
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think it depends on the nanny's experience and your geographical area. I live on the West Coast and the going rate is $17-20 per hour for an English speaking nanny with multiples experience.

flicka7
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I live in the Chicago suburbs and have had a nanny one day a week for over a year. I have 18 mo twins and a 3yo. She does the kids laundry and feeds them lunch, I take care of the 3yo for the most part. I don't supply her lunch and pay her $12/hr.

I had a second nanny for a couple of months and she also charged $12/hr for the same services. They both told me that's what they charged.

I have a mother's helper who is 21 who doesn't do any household chores or get their meals together and I pay her $7/hr.
    Me & DH, 47
    POF, 6 IVF's, 2 m/c, finally successful with DE
    5, twins & 3.5

Sophia1212
    loves laundry... when they are clean.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Tired
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins_Squared
    I think it depends on the nanny's experience and your geographical area. I live on the West Coast and the going rate is $17-20 per hour for an English speaking nanny with multiples experience.
    Yup. I agree with this. When we had nannies, I paid them $17/hr and they both had twin experience. One had twins siblings that she helped take care of as a young girl, and the other was also experienced in multiple children care. I told them that it would be nice if they could get to the washing the dishes and cleaning around the babies' room, but first and foremost, I wanted them to play with the babies and stimulate them and interact with them. And oh boy, did they ever. I would come home at random times and most of the time, I came home to a nanny on the floor with a baby crawling all over her, or babyspit in her hair... you could just tell she was really playing with them. For that, I would have paid more. But I gave the girls special gifts throughout their time with us.

I wish I could find a teen babysitter for under $10 now that they are older...

Good luck!
    BFP on first IVF with triplets!!
    Little Angel lives on through them 12/15/05
    I never met you, but I know you. I never held you, but I feel you. You don't cry, but I hear you. Thank you for M and S. You would like them a lot.

RIP Shelbey (Aug 12, 2011) I miss you like crazy.

oyagain
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    in Boston area, i pay $18 for a 'nanny' with multiples experience, she's been w/us 4 months, since my twins were 3 months. She straightens up, folds laundry, empties and fills dishwasher. It's a lot of money but she's incredible, creative, and really loves my kids.

Besttwins
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in Chicago and had a nanny for 5 years for my two. As I work full-time, she did everything - meals, their laundry, etc. I paid her $12 and then $13 per hour. So if you pay that to a mother's helper type who has no other responsibilities than entertaining your babies, I'd say you're paying well.
    Congratulations on the babies.

KimC
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in Southern CA and I pay $15/hour for 30 hours/week. Our nanny has experience and has owned her own day care. She does their laundry (and ours if it is around), cleans their nursery and our family room, takes our garbage, cleans counters, prepares and cooks their food, prepares our meals for dinner, empties dishwasher, washes all dishes and is awesome around the babies. She even drives them on Thursday's to my parents, which is a 45 minute drive. She takes them to the park and on daily walks. She is primarily English speaking (meaning she speaks without an accent) and also speaks Spanish. She has been with us since they were 10 weeks old and will be 1 year in a week or so.

msweet13
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    It doesnt sound like I will be much help. I pay $200 for three long days a week, usually 9-10 hour days. All I ask is that she focuses on my twin boys, now 8 months old, and that she cleans up after herself. She is welcome to eat what ever I have in the house. She had experience as a babysitter and is doing great. She is only 19 years old, but seems to have no problem juggling both babies all day long. When we interviewed her she only asked for $130 a week, but we could not do that. Based on what others asked for we paid her the $200 and will increase that once the boys are one. I would like to increase her responsibilities to helping out with their laundry, but we will see how difficult it is to chase around two one year old boys. Good Luck. I just asked everyone I interviewed what they were asking for. The experienced ones will know.

minerleague
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to intrude on this thread, but beyond rates for nannies can some of you share how you found your nannies and/or mother's helpers. There aren't any agencies in our area and most people here rely on daycare settings for their children. I have in mind what I would like in a nanny, but can't imagine just putting an ad in our local paper. There are two colleges in the area that have child development programs, but that would be a 30-minute drive for a student to get to our house-not exactly economically these days. Thanks for your advice.

oyagain
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    i found mine through a twins' mom's group, our local chapter - i dont go to meetings but use the online group as a resource all the time. someone's nanny was going to leave them cuz she wasn't getting enough hours, so i filled in her schedule, kind of a timeshare.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast