FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Andi3
    wants a status
    Post Thanks / Like

Bruised ear????

So, I'm putting pigtails in my DD's very thick hair Monday and notice the top of her ear is discolored in 2 spots. It looks like a bruise that is maybe 2 or 3 days old (edges appear to be healing). No clue what happened. My mind races to figure it out. Maybe the nanny who sometimes paints her nails decided to try the curling iron and it was an accidental burn but she hasn't been here since Wed. and I think she would have told me since she's been watching the kids since they were a month old.

So during bath time DH and I look at it again and he mentions it looks like someone pinched her. I put my hand there and see that similar marks would be made if I pinched her ear too hard. Thing is, I don't ever remember seeing a bruise on an ear. I didn't think that there was much blood flow there to create a 'good' bruise. At least I would think that it would have to be a pretty severe trauma to cause bruising on cartilege.

The other problem is that we just hired a new sitter (tomorrow will be her 3rd day, second alone(?) with the kids). She was here by herself Thurs. morning (had great references and seemed to do good the first day other than asking if I would always be here) I hate to think that she did this as punishment or something. Also, a bit afraid to get a medical opinion since it may look like something they need to report or whatever -- it looks like it is healing fine but I am just curious as to where it came from and maybe they could tell me about when it might have happened.

Having triplets, I'm not ruling out it was sibling inflicted but wonder how hard it is to bruise an ear. I was told by her that DS threw a toy car at her durning a nap last week. He did pull her hair for the first time a few weeks ago -- shocking ;-). Having multiples yourself, I'm sure you understand that I may have missed the incident even if I was here when it happened -- busy with another sib, thought the crying was for another reason, or whatever other stress -- but I feel just terrible about it.

Have any of you experienced something similar -- do ears really bruise so easily? I think I may clean the office when the new person is here tomorrow, but I really hate to lose her if the ear thing has nothing to do with her. Hate to be so not trusting of her, but she is new -- I don't think I will mention the ear to her. I may tell her the 2nd car isn't working and needs a part ordered so I'll have to stay here and work since DH needed the working car to get to work. (well, it was broken yesterday and repaired today)

Let me know what you think of this,

TIA,
    Andi
    g/b/g
    2y5m triplets

2. Advertisement

AmyA
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    hmm. That would make me think too. It would be hard to ask the nanny without her knowing you suspect something. Did your DD tell you that DS threw a car at her, or did the nanny tell you? My kids have definitely gotten some suspicious "looking" bruises before from hurting themselves so I'd probably give her the benefit of the doubt this time(although I would ask my DD if anyone pinched her ear). Have you thought about a nanny cam?
    Amy

Renee2
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Are any of the kids able to tell you what happened?? I know Kayla is two and the stories I get from her are usually far from reliable. I would discuss punishment with the new girl, just go over again what you find acceptable, time outs or whatever. And just remind her, no hitting, pinching, slapping, etc. Maybe that would be enough to keep her on her toes thinkng that the kids said something if she did do it. ?? I would also consider a nanny cam. If you are home some while she is watching the kids, you will probably get a good feel of how she handles things. Even if she doesn't hit or anythign while you are there, you can judge by her temper how she reacts to stuff. If she gets really upset or frustrated easy, I would be leary.

Chances are pretty good though that it was done by accident while playing (or not by accident by having a toy hurled at her head LOL). I don't blame you for being cautious though.
    Becky

A 7
    M&J 5
    KK 3

Athena
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Greyson has bruised his ears quite a few times. I'd say it must be especially painful based on how he reacts afterwards.

Twins_Squared
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We have seen a few bruised ears here, too, and they are from "rounds" at the toddler WWF (twin toddler wrestling!). Are the marks from the bruise consistent with bite marks?

I would try to ask her what happened and see if she (your DD) is able to volunteer any helpful information.

Lois
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Hopeful
    H has had a couple bruised ears also, usually from falling while playing. She fell off the couch once and hit it on the edge of the coffee table....it does bruise "bad" usually. It's tender skin there, so it will bruise easily without a "big" injury. I thinik it most likely occurred while playing or was sibling induced, but I certainly understand that you would wonder a bit given that it turned up at the same time you got a new sitter.
    Lois
    H&S, 10/01, IVF
    R, 10/04, Natural

Keiki
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I don't recall ever having a bruised ear here, but it just sounds painful. I can understand, though, why you'd be suspicious, esp. when it came just when the new girl was alone for the first time with them. I'd ask her if anyone pinched her ear and see what she says. If she outright says it was the sitter, I'd confront the sitter. If she says a sibling, I'd take it with a grain of salt - I find mine "point fingers" at siblings very quickly when it really wasn't the truth, but very rarely (can't actually recall a time right now) when they've said someone else has done something that didn't really happen. If she doesn't recall anyone pinching her, you could consider dropping it, or bringing it up in a round about way to the sitter. Like, "we saw a bruise on her ear and I thought one of the other kids might have pinched her. Might be something to keep an eye out for. We will not allow that from them, just like any physical harm is not allowed..." It might plant the seed that you suspect something happened and that if she DID do it, and she realizes she could get "caught' she may stop. But, she may just be more careful to not get caught... Oh, that doesn't help, sorry. I think I'd have to have a nanny cam. I'm too paranoid.
    Mom to:
    J & B - 7 yo
    J, P & B - 6 yo
    P dx Autism

davesgirl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember I was walking down some stairs with Bryce, and my foot slipped; his head/ear banged my head and his ear bruised. Kaden has also bruised his ear hitting it on something (can't remember what his was). They do look pretty painful, but I know both Kaden and Bryce didn't complain about it unless I touched it and said, "Wow, that looks like it hurt!"

It's tricky to know what really happened if you didn't see it.... you could approach it that way to your new nanny. "I noticed that DD has a bruise on her ear; did you happen to notice if she bumped it on something?" (or something like that then pay attention to how she reacts (could or could not be helpful, I know) ).

Good luck and hopefully it was just a 3 year old playing and bumped it good.
    Proud Mommy to:

Kaden Eric and Bryce Colton
    TEN years old!
    02/26/02
    Step-Mom to Travis (20) and Miranda (18)

Schill
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been known to pinch the ear as punishment (not gently) and it has never left a bruise.

Emily fell at an amusement part on a half wall that was brick. The fall caused an incision on the back side of the ear and the front part of the ear, but didn't go through. Weird. Anyway, it was very bruised and swollen. It was painful if anything bumped against it in anyway.

My point is that it would take a pretty hard impact to bruise the ear cartilage.

If you don't trust your staff, you can always get a nanny cam. I think if I were in your situation I would do that as a precaution anyway.
    Last edited by Schill; 01-19-2006 at 11:18 AM.
    Lisa - Doubly Blessed Mommy to
    Victor Zackariah - 4 lbs.1 oz. 15 3/4"
    Emily Mackenna Lenda - 3 lbs. 10 oz. 16"
    Born 4/11/02 at 32w4d
    Let Him have all your worries and cares, for He is always thinking about you and watching everything that concerns you. 1 Peter 5:7

ALISA
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't remember the girls ever having bruised ears. I think I would also ask your DD first and see what she says. You could also pretend to notice it for the first time in front of the nanny and see what she says.

A.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast