FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

Tia38
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Heavy AF: Ablation vs. Mirena IUD vs. Nothing

Saw a few posts when I searched, but thought I'd ask again.

I'm 44. PCOS. Overweight. Tubes tied at 2nd c-section (2 years ago).

AFs heavy and clumpy. Self-monitored for the last year and it's really not getting better (although Ultra Pearls are a huge help).

GYN recommended either Mirena IUD or ablation. (Irony that I skipped IUD and had tubes tied because I didn't want hormones.)

Looking for pros/cons/experiences: of making the decision, having the procedure, and after the fact. Would you do it again? Make a different choice? What would you tell your daughter/sister/niece?

Ablation currently is 'general surgery' but may have an IV-sedation option in about 6 months (which I find more appealing than a breathing tube).

Or do nothing? At what point is a heavy AF too bothersome?

Thanks in advance,
    -tia
    - Miracles and surprises happen everyday!

2. Advertisement

peako
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Brooding
    I don't have any advice as I haven't had any of the procedures. I would think that when heavy flow interferres with your regular life it is bothersome. Not having any experience or having done any research I "think" I would try the IUD as a first step and see how that helps jsut because I think it would be the easiest first step
    peako

If you don't stand up, you can't fall down.

and the Mother of a

MarieL
    is a happy camper.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    I had an ablation after a couple of years of really bad AF....I would bleed up to 3 weeks at a time and gush, lots of clots, etc.

The ablation did nothing. I had the procedure, had a yellowish discharge for about 3 weeks (they told me it would happen, as uterus heals) and then AF came...just like before.

So, in my opinion, I would NOT do the ablation. I know it has worked for others but for me, it didn't.
    Marie L, Mama to Marielle, 9 and Rico, 8
    Mom to cancer SURVIVOR!

amanda28
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I had an ablation a year and a half ago. I would have AF for 3 weeks at a time very heavy. I also had 2 csections and had my tubes tied after the second one. There was no change right after, but now i am down to very light for 7 days. It is a lot better, but it has taken a long time to get here. Overall i am glad i did it.
    Eric 5/31/05

Isaac 9/11/07

Lois
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Hopeful
    No experience, but yeah, I'd say it's bad enough to do something when it interferes with your quality of life--not just a nuisance, but forcing you to stay home/cancel plans, making you anemic, etc. Maybe try the IUD first and then if not helping, the IV sedation option you like better might be available.
    Lois
    H&S, 10/01, IVF
    R, 10/04, Natural

Adrienne
    has status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angelic
    An ablation worked wonders for me and I have been free of the heavy bleeding and clotting for about 3 years now! What a relief. Abouot every 3rd cycle I get the horrible cramps and some light spotting but that is the worst of it.

I would recommend the ablation to anyone! The MD did say that it could regenerate over 5 years but I am hopeful that it won't. If it does, I'm having it taken out!

Adrienne

beautiful boy

Tia38
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all for your comments.

I'm leaning towards IUD as a first step (as peako said).

I have a bit more hw to do for reading/research. Then I have the nastiness of the insurance company to sort out. While I hope cost is not going to be my deciding factor I realize it's something I should check on. Sigh.

Keep the comments coming if anyone else has inputs.

-tia
    - Miracles and surprises happen everyday!

TwoQTs
    is thrilled warm weather is on the way & here to stay!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Blah
    My OB/GYN told me NOT to do the ablation. Of the 100 he does per year, only 40% are somewhat successful; 25% require emergency surgery at some point in the following 2 yrs, 25% are THRILLED beyond belief with exccellent results, & many have to have another ablation 2-5 years later. He said he has a lot of patients with zero bleeding & excrutiating pain.

He strongly suggested the Mirena. I cannot take the hormones--I am hyper-sensitive to meds. If I was still able to handle BCPs, I'd go for the Mirena in a heartbeat. He told me the Mirena has about 1/4 the hormone levels of BCPs & is very effective. 90% love it.

FORGOT to add: My OB/GYN is excellent with tons of experiece, He's been doing ablations for years. Women drive down here from Calgary to see him.. that's a 2.5 hour drive (if you drive the speed limit. )
    Last edited by TwoQTs; 06-08-2011 at 10:16 PM.
    Kristin single mom to
    Emily & Alison Nov. 29/00
    June/03
    Daniel James, July 29th, 2004 stillborn at 32.5 weeks (cord accident)

Walk softly and carry a big stick.

gijojo
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    I had the Novasure ablation done in February. I too had the three weeks of yellowish discharge, than nothing except the moods until May. I had a little bit of brown spotting on tissue for two days and than this month I had extremely light spotting that actually required a pantiliner for two days and did have some cramping. I had my tubes tied at the same time as the ablation so my recovery was a little tougher, but she normally does just the ablation in her office. I was having 5-6 day periods with a lot of clots and heavy bleeding that would come out of nowhere for over a year and decided I was done. I am happy so far and hope it stays at just this spotting but my doc told me that my periods may come back, but hopefully without all the clotting.
    JO
    aka Joann
    A & Z, 1/1/2002 at 30w--Wow--Where has the time gone?

TwoQTs
    is thrilled warm weather is on the way & here to stay!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Blah
    Oh, I should've added this:

Since my cramps are way worse, my dr rx'd Ponstan for me. He thought would serve two purposes. It cuts blood flow in half.

Thus, this is what I've done for the last 6-mos.... as soon as AF is starting, I take one. & have to take them for the first day or two just for pain relief anyway, & the very heavy 'hafta-stay-at-home & then take extra iron' AFs have gone away. They're back to how they were when I was younger (pre-kids) but manageable. I haven't missed work due to extremely heavy AFs since. I think my iron levels may actually be close to normal now. I was anemic & would almost pass out from blood loss (11 super-plus tampons/pads in 6 hours)

For me it has been a very easy fix.
    Kristin single mom to
    Emily & Alison Nov. 29/00
    June/03
    Daniel James, July 29th, 2004 stillborn at 32.5 weeks (cord accident)

Walk softly and carry a big stick.