FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

zog
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone m/c after Amnio?

I am having a VERY hard time deciding on amnio or not. I can't seem to find much of anything on anyone m/c after they have had a m/c. My ob has never had a m/c in her practice, and most ladies seem to be ok after, I am just so dang nervous about it. I want to do it for piece of mind, and to be prepared if something looks bad. Has anyone heard of anyone m/c after?

2. Advertisement

bhoban
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, barge.

I had an amnio about 4 weeks ago. I was a nervous wreck - I had previously had preterm rupture of membranes in the 2nd trimester & really did NOT want an amnio...but had been given 1:2 odds of a chromosome problem at my 1st trimester (nuchal) scan.

I grilled the doctor doing the amnio & was even worried about what position to be in after the amnio (left side? right side?) and how long after the procedure to worry about complications. By the time I finished the list of questions he said "Wow, you really have thought about this a lot. You know, problems that occur are really very rare. I can't remember the last time we had a major complication". Of course, to the one woman in 500 or so that have a problem, the statistics don't matter. I researched a TON & found very few stories of problems after an amnio. Odds are very much in your favor. If you have had other markers for a problem, I would do an amnio for peace of mind (just make sure you are using a doctor who does several amnios a week). If it is just for AMA, I would skip it.
    Last edited by bhoban; 06-08-2007 at 04:09 PM.
    me,34 DH,50
    DS, Mick 9
    Aiden, 16w3d Jan '06 (IUI #1-delivered early due to PPROM)
    early loss, May '06 (IUI#4)~IUI 2,3,5,6 & IVF#1=BFN
    IVF#2: 5dt of 3~BFP 7dp5dt~U/S 6w5d: 1 beautiful ~ NT u/s 1:2 odds of a chromosome abnormality due to cystic hygroma - but it's a healthy girl! Brianna Eileen born 39w1d-now 5 yrs old!

Pecan
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    zog,

Most of the time I hear stories about women who have amnios and go on fine with the rest of their pgcy( you can also check the gen pgcy board). I have only read about one person on the yahoo immunology board who suffered a loss following an amnio. She also had immune issues, so it was never determined for certain if the amnio caused the loss.

I know it is a tough decision to make Hoping you can make peace with your decision either way.

Pecan