FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

law511
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Antral Follicle Count

Hello all - I had my IVF baseline this morning and my antral follicle count was only 11. I was kind of bummed, but the doc didn't seem concerned. What do you ladies who've been through IVF before think about it?

Oh, I'll be 42 in a couple of weeks.
    LORI
    5 IUIs - all BFNs
    IVF - Apr 09 - BFN
    Home study for domestic adoption completed!

2. Advertisement

poohbear
    tired
    Post Thanks / Like
    For 42, that isn't bad at all. I agree, I wouldn't worry.

Mom_2_One
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Lori,
    Your AFC is totally normal. It would only really be a concern if is were very low, or exceptionally high. You can press the RE for a better explanation, but you're good. At 43, I actually have a high AFC, but have PCOS and am recovering from OHSS as a result. A high AFC is not necessarily a good thing!
    GL with your IVF!
    -Victoria
    Me 44
    DH 40
    DD 01-15-05
    6 angles (05/2007-12/2008); natually concieved
    IVF#1 and FET#1 2009; BFN
    DE-IVF cycle #1 (transfer @ 11-23-09)
    BFP 5dp;5dt
    Beta #1 12dpo = 71; Beta#2 14dpo 191
    1 st U/S 12-22-09 one lentil; HR 133 bpm
    EDD: 08-11-2010

LH
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

44 yrs, great antral count

I'm currently in my first IVF cycle. We did an Antral Count last November and it was 16 and my day 3 FSH was 2. This February the Antral count was a whopping 20. We finally were able to start IVF a few weeks ago and retrieved 12 eggs yesterday. Ten of the eggs fertilized and 7 of them are currently looking good. We won't know about how many will be grade 1, 2, etc. until Monday or Wednesday, but my clinic told me that I did the best out of anyone at the clinic on retrieval day and I'm 44 freaking years old! I have PCOS and I know that's a big reason why I have such good numbers, but my great grandma had her last (healthy child) at the age of 50 and my mom had 28-day cycles till she turned 55, so I think it's genetic too.

Don't know if we'll make it to having a healthy squalling child in our arms, but we feel really good about things so far. Yes, age is a huge factor, but there are cases where us older ladies are doing ok in the ovarian reserve department. I'm going to the Sher Institute in St. Louis and they take "hard" cases that no one else will take. My 44 year old friend is currently in cycle with me and she has an FSH of 15 and is only making about 1 egg per cycle, but Dr. Ahlering still says it may work or he woudn't be treating her. I'm so hoping that somehow we'll both miraculously get pregnant and go through it together.

law511
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm hoping to score one for the "advanced maternal age" team!
    LORI
    5 IUIs - all BFNs
    IVF - Apr 09 - BFN

law511
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, at my first sono after baseline I only had 3 follies large enough to record. I was really bummed that I might not even make it to ER. (you have to have at least 4 at my clinic) I was trying to figure out where in the heck they all went, since I had 11 on the baseline scan. Anyhow, at today's repeat sono I had 10! A couple of them were small, but the doc said everything looks great! I'm so relieved. It looks like I'll go to ER on either Mother's Day or my birthday (11 May). Either day would be GREAT!
    LORI
    5 IUIs - all BFNs
    IVF - Apr 09 - BFN