FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    TigerGirl
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    It was great to read these stories. I feel a lot better. We go Monday to the RE's for our first follow-up visit after our BFN (IVF). I have a huge list of questions for him, but it is also good to have some success stories to arm myself with.

Lisa

2. Advertisement

hoping2bmamaKat
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi there - I didn't have luck with my own eggs, but am blessed right now to be p/g with twins from a donor cycle (a relative donated for me). I hope you'll be one of the lucky ones like the ladies who have posted here!!!! But even if that doesn't happen, you can still have success and a beautiful baby (or two). Good luck at Monday's appt.

K

Valentina
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I posted some of this before on another forum. Natural conception with my DD at 40. I have a good friend who had her daughter after one cycle of IVF, her own eggs, at 40 and she has a friend - with one ovary - who also had a daughter after one cycle of IVF, her own eggs, at 43.
    When I was pregnant with my daughter I met a woman in my pre-natal yoga class who was 45 and pregnant - much to her surprise and dismay - with twins. She was unmarried and the father was a married man - it was quite the soap opera!
    Also, I have a 71 year old neighbor who has three kids - two in their mid thirties and one who is 19! I had a long summer talk with her one day about this. She'd missed a couple of periods and thought she was going through menopause so she went to the doctor to check herself out. Turns out she was pg naturally at 51! And her kid is a perfectly normal, unruly teenager.

Danasingle
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paz

Shhh, don't tell papa, we are counting on my age as our birth control. But if it happened, I would love it
    That is so cute!

I was daydreaming the other day that after I have the child I will conceive this cycle (PLEASE and THANK YOU! ) that if I met and married a man who had no children in the next year, how I could arrange to find an egg donor and have his child before I am 50. LOL

Dana

Also, I am single and using donor sperm, so no natural conceptions here. However, I did conceive three times in my 40's---one full-term pregnancy, delivered after I turned 42.
    Last edited by Danasingle; 03-08-2008 at 12:09 PM.

momofoneson
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

pg ment.

I hope this gives you some hope. If you look at my signature, we've tried for 5 years to get pg with #2, and I conceived naturally 2 months in a row with only one tube. The first they thought was ectopic, but I am currently 7 1/2 wks pg. We're still praying everything is OK, but I'll be 41 this summer. Good luck to you!

Jan
    me 42, dh 49
    '87 ectopic, lost tube; '94 natural pg m/c 13 wks,
    endo, lap, Lupron, '02 1st ds
    ttc#2 - 5+ long years yrs, unexpl, endo, high fsh - clomid X5, follistim/iui X2, ivf X2 - all bfn
    '06 surprise natural pg - m/c 10 wks
    '08 surprise natural pg - ectopic
    '08 surprise natural pg - m/c 8 wks

hoping2bmamaKat
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My SIL (using DS IUI) conceived one of her daughters when she was over 40!

hanna1
    hanna1
    has no status.
    Edit
    Someone on this board also mentioned her sis conceived at 42 (or 43) and then 46 with IVF--her own eggs. Clinic was in Santa Barbara, I think.

hopesrhigh
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I'm new to this forum and getting lots of good reading. I'm 44 and been ttc since last August. Have done 4 clomid with IUI cycles, 1 injectable cycle that was cancelled half way and am now on my 2ww after an injectable cycle with IUI. I had 7 follicles total with 3 over 19mm. My FSH levels have always been below 8.5. This cyle they were under 7. But still no pregnancy. My RE is saying IVF is only 5% effective at my age and says I should do DE. Would love to hear your comments.

Firstbabyat40!
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi LIZZY...I meant to contact you sooner...After 2 miscarriages in my late 30's I had my first child by 100% natural means at 40 and he is 4 /12 years old now and perfect. Then after miscarrying twins a year after my son was born, we tried at home for a couple of years with no success. Fortunately at a routine appointment, my OB-GYN mentioned some kind of product to reduce my heavy menstrual flow but it was like birth control ...when I told him that I was still trying to get pg...he looked at my chart (I was 43 3/4 at the time) and he told me to "run - not walk to my RE's office"...Like so many of us, I had the misconception that having children in your 40's was not going to be a big problem or a big deal...

At that point my FSH was already at 10 1/2...to make a long story short: I did a some IUI's and then a normal IVF here in FL and only had 3 - Day 3 embryos left to transfer out of 9... and got a BFN. Then I tried a clinic in NYC that uses some new, advanced technology that offers a "Mini" IVF for about 1/3 of the cost of regular IVF. I had about the same number of eggs retrieved and 2 of them transferred on Day 2, PLUS 3 - Day 5 Blasts (Snow Babies) I am now over 4 1/2 months pregnant with what appears to be a healthy baby girl!!! I'll be 45 in June so this is fantastic!!! And while my eggs/embryos did not look very healthy with the regular IVF...they fared DRAMATICALLY better only 2 months later at the clinic in NYC.

If you are over 40 and not having much success with your local clinic (especially if you are paying your own IVF costs) I highly recommend the clinic in NYC called "New Hope." If you read my old posts, there are more details about the protocol and my conditions (suspected PICOS and luteal phase defect.) I know that my success so far with them has been very fortunate but there must be more people who can also be helped by them.

As one of the posters below has experienced, donor eggs can give great results and some of my local friends have wonderful adopted children...so there are many ways to become a family after 40!!! Best of luck to you and take care!

Thedeb
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Miracles can happen

I'm 42 and pregnant (natually) after 2 IUI's and 5 IVF's. I was just starting my last IVF cycle when I found out that I was pregnant. I never thought it was ever going to happen. I had one blighted ovum with the first IUI and a chemical pregnancy with the first IVF. I was told by Mass General that my odds were 5% with IVF and refused a paid cycle by them unless I was to use an egg donor. I'm now 25 weeks pregnant with my first. I had changed to another center after a big 6 month battle with my insurance company and was to complete my last cycle. Reproductive Science Center didn't put me on birth control to start the cycle and I had thrown caution to the wind one night when the test strips said I was not ovulating and actually got pregnant. It's actually still hard for me to believe. I'm sure that maybe my case may be rare, but the one thing I did learn is how statistics driven some of the clinics and hospitals can be. Infertility is a huge business and getting bigger every day and not to lose sight of that while you are being treated. In my case I was told that it was basically unlikely that I will ever be pregnant with my own eggs. I know how often I came to this site looking for insight and hope this can be helpful. At this point I'm praying that things continue to go well. Good luck to everyone.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast