FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

TrustInG-D
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

how long to wait between taking iron and calcium

I was told that I'm extremely anemic. I have to take like three iron pills a day, aside from my prenatal! I was also told not to take iron with calcium, as they sort of cancel each other out. I am getting most of my calcium through cheese, which I eat all day (pizza, mac and cheese). I'm just wondering where that leaves room for me to take my iron supplements. In other words, how long do I have to wait between taking calcium or calcium-rich foods, and iron??

I feel so weak and would love to take my iron already, I just don't want to take it too soon after eating so as not to defeat the purpose.....What do you think?

2. Advertisement

InvitroMom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Being anemic too with this pregnancy you are safe to take your iron pills one hour before eating calcium enriched foods or two hours after eating these foods. I read up online and these are the quidelines I read to follow. Here is the link. You will need to scroll down quite a bit to the dietary precautions part which explains the iron mixed with calcium better. Good luck!

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dru...ation/DR202305
    InvitroMom (Sharon)
    IVF/ICSI#1 BFP Isabella Rose 4yrs.
    IVF/ICSI#2 BFP Angelina Lynn 10/11/06

SmilingHelps
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have had 8 blood transfusions and 13 IV iron infusions caused by severe anemia. I have been on iron pills since I was a young child. I've always been taught that you take your iron pills one hour before or one hour after a meal. Also, something that helps the absorption of iron is to take your iron pills with orange juice...
    I hope that you get feeling better. I know how miserable anemia is. I've had it all of my life, so I barely feel it anymore (as your body gets used to being low on energy). However, I can't imagine having never had it and having to deal with it during pregnancy..
    Because you are "extremely anemic", have they spoken to you about an IV iron infusion? I have them every couple of months to help my anemia. Unlike iron pills, the effect is immediate. If your hemoglobin is below 6.0, they will usually do an IV iron infusion or a blood transfusion. Have they discussed this with you?
    Wishing you the best....
    Jen
    Last edited by friarfly; 07-19-2006 at 04:55 PM.
    Courage is not freedom from Fear.
    It is being afraid and continuing on.
    www.photobucket.com/jenniferandmia

TrustInG-D
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, here's what happened.

Thanks invitromom for the link. I opened it, and suddenly became aware that I totally overdosed on my iron. I took like 200 mg! And the link also said that you should go to the emergency room....I was freaking out for like an hour, I was uncontrollable, all ready to pack my bags. Finally the doctor called back and said it was ok, I just will feel sick. Abdominal cramping, nausea.......

I'm still a bit shaken from that whole ordeal. He also said that I am not very anemic, just slightly, and he was going to talk to the nurse about why she scared me (the poor nurse....).

Ok, so that was my scare. I just hope I don't get any of those side effects. And oh - the first thing I did when I realized I took too much iron, was take a Tums, and eat yogurt (hoping the calcium will prevent some iron from being absorbed!!).

Thanks again guys for your help......It came just in the nick of time.

SmilingHelps
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    ohmigosh!! How did you overdose on iron? Are you feeling any better? How scary!!
    I'm glad that you aren't as severely anemic as you thought. However, all anemia sucks. I'm pretty sure that tired is tired regardless of your exact numbers I really hope that you get feeling better soon. Take care of yourself and keep us updated. I'll be thinking about you, girl!

p.s. Although you are probably not thinking about this right now, you may want to start loading up on the fiber in the next day or two cuz all of that iron is really going to stop up the "flow" if you know what I mean. I hate to get personal and talk about such things, but iron is rough on the body in that way..
    Courage is not freedom from Fear.
    It is being afraid and continuing on.
    www.photobucket.com/jenniferandmia

InvitroMom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jen is so right about the fiber thing! Not sure if your Dr. mentioned what may happen with all that iron but just beware. Good luck and I hope you are feeling better soon.
    InvitroMom (Sharon)
    IVF/ICSI#1 BFP Isabella Rose 4yrs.
    IVF/ICSI#2 BFP Angelina Lynn 10/11/06

young mom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    i have to take iron as well (those pills are huge) but i was never told anything about iron and calcium cancelling each other out. i take my prenatal and iron at the same time as soon as i wake up, then eat all day. i hate not taking my iron b/c i am so tired w/o it. maybe take the iron before you go to bed?? by the time you wake up it should be through your system (i think). i don't know how normal this is, but since i started taking these iron pills i have not had diahrea (thank God b/c i was going 4 times a day or more). i have a hard time drinking or eating dairy products, not b/c i'm lactose intolerant, but this pg i have become sensitive to it.

kim
    due oct 16 w/ boy
    cerclage removed sept 18 (and counting)