FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions

kaitlin
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

LArginine & CoEnzyme CQ for Egg Quality

I was going to take LArginine & CoEnzyme CQ for my cycle-good for egg quality. I just got off the phone with Renee at Wilford Hall and She said absolutely NO extra suppliments!!!

If it isn't in a prental or multivitamin I can't take it. I guess they are VERY against anything extra for the cycle. I am torn though. I heard LArginine and CoEnzyme CQ are great for egg quality. Have any of you taken these while at a MTF or heard anything different?

2. Advertisement

TheGoodLife
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Sad
    I've got my DH taking these to boost sperm counts & motility. I am trying to remember if WR told us not to take any supplements. For my last cycle, I was taking an over-the-counter prenatal (more potent than the one WR prescribed), a vitamin B-complex, an extra 400 mg of Folic Acid and a DHA supplement (the kind found inbreastmilk and baby formulas for brain and eye development).

Remember a lot of supplements out there have not been verified by the FDA, so they can claim to do all sorts of things but in actuality may be worthless or even harmful. I'm sure that's why they are playing it safe and telling their patients not to take any supplements at all. If it's in a prenatal vitamin, chances are, it's been proven to be safe and beneficial.

Someday1
    Proud Midlife Mom
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful

pg ment.

I agree, they tell you this to stay safe and not have their patients on all kinds of crazy stuff. All clinics I've used MTF or civilian all say no supplements. I also used DHEA and saw improved egg quality. I didn't get pg from that cycle but all eggs were 1 grade higher than 1st cycle w/out DHEA. ???
    4yr DD from DE cycle, Identical twins due Dec 2011 using same donor

shanni34
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow
    I stopped telling anyone at the clinics what I was doing because no one ever agreed and got all over me about taking anything. My point of view is I did it by the book w/ them for years and never got pregnant a single time....I started supplementing, doing Chinese herbs and acupuncture and I now have two beautiful sons. I also got pregnant NATURALLY last fall before dh deployed but miscarried very early. This was the first time in my life I ever had a positive pregnancy test on my own. I believe in it.

I took L-arginine and a few other things last ivf but I started months in advance. The articles I read supporting the l-arginine studies (done in the UK) at the time said taking it daily (I forget the dosage used) until the largest follcile reaches 17mm, then to stop.

I am on the fence about taking it this time due to seeing that my follicles had a direct response on the medications given and most didnt grow Im not sure how it can directly effect egg quality but could rather support the entire cycle as its purprose is to allow optimal bloodflow to the area. This can also be done with femoral massage w/o taking a supplement. You can check out Dr. Randine Lewis' books for the procedure. I view taking supplements (if you have done a LOT of research and have seen a professional) as a personal choice. Its your cycle you are paying for, and your body. I always paid for reputable herbs though as I truely believe you get what you pay for. Good luck with whatever your decision.

kaitlin
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ladies. I am just sooo on the fence. I only did a high fat/high protein diet & prenatals last time plus massages and it worked. I want to MAKE sure I have great eggs this time too but would hate to add something different than last time and this cycle not work. But I would KICK myself if I didn't add these and my cycle was a bust.

I have done a ton of research and it is all so mixed. Some ladies swear by both and others have Dr. who say they are junk pills. I just don't know what to do. This is our last attempt so if it fails I'm done.

Does anyone have the UK report on Larginine?

kaitlin
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also, I also noticed my GNC Whey protein (which I drank last time too) also has Arginine naturally occurring in it-Does anyone know if this is LArginine?

kaitlin
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I called GNC and it turns out every serving has 500mg of LArginine. So I did take LArginine for the last cycle-I just didn't know it. It naturally occurs n milk, chicken and soy.

shanni34
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow
    I have been looking for the l-arginine studies but I no longer have the old links since I am now on a new pc vs. 2-3 years ago when I first learned about it. I wanted to find you a reputable source so here are a few:

Human Reproduction:
    Adjuvant L-arginine treatment for in-vitro fertilization in poor responder patients -- Battaglia et al. 14 (7): 1690 -- Human Reproduction

Adjuvant L-arginine treatment in controlled ovarian hyperstimulation: a double-blind, randomized study -- Battaglia et al. 17 (3): 659 -- Human Reproduction

I could not find the UK studies and don't remember what university conducted the studies. I know Dr. Randine Lewis mentions the use of l-arginine in her book The Infertility Cure which is a book on overcoming infertility by the use of Chinese Medicine and acupuncture, as well as assisting success rates using ART. Here is the link to her book if you want to check it out:

The Infertility Cure: The Ancient ... - Google Books

I don't use whey protein due to dietary limitations per my acupuncturist but use a vegan source sweetened w/ stevia instead.