FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

clueless85
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

New here and need so much info

Hi im Kira and im 24. My Fiance is ryan he is in the Army and currently deployed to Iraq. We are getting Married in April on R and R. I already know my tubes are bad and through the secnd part of deployment once ii have his insurance i am going to get testing and all that done get refrells and whatever i need. We are stationed at Fort benning Ga. When Ryan returns we are going to put in to go recruiting for a couple ears ust to try and get close to an MTF that does IVF because i know i need that. Trying to save the money is soooo hard. How do some of you afford 4 tries i am baffled. we are putting into do recruitting in southern cali and some places trying to get close but then i read some people get paid back for travel. Im so scared we wont get close to an MTV. we live off both our incomes i work for home depot nothing great but it pays bills. I plan to start real estate school once we get married. so taking off work for weeks at a time will hurt us bad if i have to travel. also, home depot says even if i trasfer to a state with mandated coverage they dont offer it because there insurance is self funded what does this mean?? what kinda of jobs have to follow the state law for mandated coverage on IVF. also the percent of IVF that result in birth are only 33% seems so low and that scares me.

Please what should we look at and do? how did you afford this and multipple tries? Did trying to move there help you? how far did you travel and how hard was that? also, which Place do you recomend if we cant get moved by an MTF.

thanks but i have been spazzing!

2. Advertisement

clueless85
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    can someone please answer

dreamer79
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Kira, and welcome! I don't have answers to all your questions, but will try to help out. First, you should know that the ivf success rates for 2006 nationwide were closer to 40%, which is actually much higher than the percentage of pregnancy for normally fertile couples in any given month. It's way more expensive for us, so we have more riding on it, but your chances are actually pretty good. Also, what your specific problem is seems to affect your individual chances of success. For example, if you (as a couple) have male factor, ivf is even more successful.

So, like all of us, hope for the best, which is success on your first try. When I get upset that the military isn't paying for everything I remember that if we were trying with just dh's insurance we'd be paying twice what we're paying now.

I can't help you with the saving, that's gotta be between you and your soon-to-be dh. If he's deployed right now he should be earning tax free and some additional pays, which will hopefully help. We make sacrifices for what's important to us, and hope that we won't have to go more than once (our first IVF cycle will be January in Womack).

As far as MTFs go, one of the sticky forums list them all. Some people live close to one but wind up traveling to another because of the wait, or because they like another's protocol, or staff, or whatever. I only have experience with Womack, at Ft Bragg, but I've been really happy with their level of care and support so far. We're lucky, we're only three to four hours from them, so we can drive up, but will have to stay during our cycle. If you're at Ft Benning now you might be in driving distance (I'm not sure how much further west you are than us), you might look into going there.

Once you get married (congratulations) you'll need to get into the army medical system. Depending on what your medical history is you might be able to get a quick referral for ivf. They wanted us to try everything else first (clomid, iui, etc), but we're mostly unexplained.

I can't help you with the civilian insurance thing, but one of the forums in the bigger infertility forum talks specifically about that kind of stuff, someone there might be able to help you.

Take a deep breath and relax! Spazzing doesn't help, you'll figure it all out.

biloxi girl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Kira,

Welcome to the boards. Like dreamer, I don't have the answers to all your questions. We can afford to do the second ivf because we both work and save and make a lot of sacrifices. We also have a good credit so we are able to apply for a zero percent balance transfer credit card. This way we can pay off the ivf cost slowly without getting slammed by the high interest rate.

Don't hope too much on the military paying for your travel cost. It's very hard and almost impossible to get. They still think that ivf is an optional procedure (not mandatory).

Regarding civilian insurance, so far I only know that state of Massachusette (i can't spell) is the only state that pays 100% for ivf. But again you have to work for a good company that offers the insurance. I have a good insurance (Blue cross) but they won;t even cover ivf.

I guess the key word is save, save and save. I don't know what else to tell you. If you have a family member that wants to help you, that will be good too.

Good luck!
    Me 33 DH 31 ~ Married 5 yrs

IVF #1 (WH) Feb '09 = BFN
    IVF #2 (Womack) Jan '10 = cancelled
    IVF #3 (Keesler AFB/CRM) Apr '10 = BFP
    BETA #1 = 18
    BETA #2 = 50
    BETA #3 = 183
    1st U/S 6w3d - 1 sac, 1 heartbeat
    2nd U/S 7w4d 150 bpm
    3rd U/S 8w 165 bpm (at the ER)
    4th U/S 8w5d 170 bpm
    EDD: Jan 10, 2011

clueless85
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    thank you!
    i am 400 miles from womack so if we cant move close to an MTF i will probably go there. about the 14 days that you have to stay,do they have discounted lodging that you can get in or about how much are you guys shelling out for that? we will have money for at least 1 of these IVF with the deployment money, but i saw one girl on here one her 5th one and i was like OMG!!! thats like 35k and we just dont have it, has anyone tried writing these off as medical expenes on their taxes? i have had medical issues and it is all noted since 2004 so i am pretty sure a referrel will be nothing. i cared a child to term when i was 17 and gave him up for adoption and then something happen and my tubes went bad. thats all that is wrong with us though is my bad tubes. are sucess rates higher or lower with this issue. I hope womack doesnt have a whoa long wait list by the time we get married and he gets bac from Iraq. i think i will call in April after we are married and sign up for the January IVF cycle, hopefully this will work out, i am a worrier. ugh

dreamer79
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Again, I can only speak for Womack, but here's what I've found for lodging. First (best) option is the Fisher House, which is free for military people traveling for medical. Unfortunately they have limited space. After that you have base lodging on both Bragg and Pope AFB (right next door), at about $50/night. Someone also recommended the Value Stay (I might have the name wrong), which is out in town, but offers discounted weekly rates.

You can definitely write off expenses, anything over 7.5 percent of your income is tax deductible, so keep good records. I think that might include lodging too, I know it includes acupuncture and some other stuff. Remember, you're not going for 35K now, you have time to save if that's what it takes.

If your uterus is good, your ivf success should be pretty good (no promises, of course). they're taking care of fertilization, all you have to do is hope it sticks!

Don't know how long he's home for on r&r, but you might look at freezing his part if you're really eager to get started. Womack does pretty well with the waiting list, you should be fine for January if you call Dori in April.

Good luck, and remember to relax!

DrVWife
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wanted to say welcome! The ladies did an awesome job of explaining things in their previous post. Good luck with your decision!
    Susanne
    me 37, DH 34
    married July 1, 2006
    TTC #1 since November 2007
    DX - me ~ blocked tubes, him ~ low everything
    IVF #1 - Womack ~ March 2010 = BFN
    IVF #2 - Womack ~ August 2010 = canceled
    IVF #3 (or 2.2) - Womack ~ September 2010 BFP!!! Beta #1 - 35, Beta #2 - 83, Beta #3 - 878
    1st u/s Oct 26

http://volinski-steadyaswego.blogspot.com/

TheGoodLife
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Sad
    The stickies really do provide lots of information for many of the basic questions you have, regarding lodging and reimbursement of travel expenses. As far as having civilian insurance, it won't really matter if you are getting your treatment at an MTF. You'll pay a reduced cost, but it will have to come from your pocket.

Like Dreamer said, don't get wrapped around multiple cycles. Many people are successful their first cycle. We have an almost 3 year old from our very first and only IVF cycle. So just take it 5K-6K at a time. If you don't have the money for it, there are some financing options out there. But if your soon-to-be DH starts putting away a lot of that money he's making while deployed, you should be in good shape by the time he gets home. He's still single right now, so his expenses should really be nothing. He's not making a house payment or paying rent or anything like that. When I was a single Soldier, I made BANK on deployments. I used to counsel all my young single Soldiers that if they aren't putting away AT LEAST 50% of their pay on deployments, they're wrong.

Once you guys get married, he'll start getting a housing allowance for permanent duty station. That will be an extra amount of money that he's not getting now, and therefore should go straight into savings. Depending on his rank, that can be quite a good bit of money if you save it all every month.

The cost is significantly reduced when compared to civilian clinics - up to 20K per cycle.

The next step for you guys to is to figure out where you're going to be stationed next... contact the nearest MTF that offers IVF and get a list of the all the requirements to referred into a cycle. Get started on the bloodwork and testing, etc.

Good luck!