FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

Two+Five
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Is talking to a man outside marriage cheating?

If your having marriage troubles, and you confide in a male friend, is it considered cheating on your husband? I read that it was considered "emotional cheating". Is this a marriage breaker or something forgivable?

2. Advertisement

robin
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think it depends on the circumstances. Did you just confide in him? What was the setting? (home, work, park) I think there is a fine line there. If it was just talking and nothing else, with no other motive than just venting, I think its fine.
    ~Robin~
    DD through adoption-8
    DS through IVF-6
    DS though FET-1
    3 angels in heaven

Cat Mom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    I don't neccessarily think it is cheating. Sometimes it is good to get a male's opinion on a situation that can includes your spouse. Men think differently than we do, so I don't think it's a bad thing to get a guy's opinion. I agree with Robin though. There is a fine line. If you are continually confiding in your male friend instead of your DH, then I would say some lines are being crossed. I would ask myself this, if I knew my DH had a female friend he was confiding in, how would that make me feel?
    Tiffany (36) DH (44)
    IVF#2, Baden Troy born 11/11/06
    Natural Surprise, Alexandra Elyse 2/14/08

www.custommetalart.etsy.com

angeleyes2blue
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Cat Mom, I think it can be very beneficial to get an opinion from someone who may understand your DHs point of view. I also think that if you're feeling guilty or not so good about it, that might be your indicator right there. Confiding in another man does not mean you are emotionally cheating.
    Me 28 & DH 30 Married 8/8/02
    Mom to Trey - 11/29/07
    My Family Blog

Two+Five
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    What if the other man wanted you in his life? Nothing physical happened. Just talking on line and nothing about sex? You leave the marriage (because of the problems not for the male friend), go stay with the male friend (as just friends) because you need a place to stay. Nothing happens physically, not even a hug. You share a queen bed with a divider between you and seperate blankets. After a week, or so, you decide to work things out with your husband and go home. Does the husband consider this cheating, even though there was no sex, touching, thinking about it or even talking about it. It was all just friends and nothing more than a place to stay and someone to listen?

BC-NanceLee
    is the chirpy moderator of the Over 35 Board
    Board Coordinator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Hell yes. That would be cheating to me, no doubt. Just put the shoe on the other foot and imagine your husband asking you to believe it meant nothing when he confided in another woman, left you and stayed with and slept in the same bed as the other woman - but it was "just friends".

I wouldn't buy that for a second.

And unless your friend is flaming gay (and even then), don't YOU believe for a minute there was no "thinking about it."
    If you have any questions about your fertility treatment or doctor, the Patient Care Advocates may be able to help.

Me fifty-freakin' six! DH 35, Max 24, Cole 19
    The only choice in life is love vs. fear. I choose love. ALWAYS.

Change is inevitable, growth is intentional. - Unknown

CrystalAZ
    has a status! Booyah!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Yes, I would consider that cheating. Seriously, isn't there somewhere to stay besides with a male friend? And if not, certainly one of you could sleep on the couch!!!!

As far as talking to another guy, it depends. Would you say what you are saying with DH standing next to you? And are you getting something from this other guy that you should be getting from DH?

Crystal

MT_firegirl
    is TTC
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Nance....total cheating.....no ifs ands or buts....
    Kelcey and James
    Whitefish, Montana
    TTC #1 for 14 years
    my two teensy angels

"Life is not defined by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away"

Tweetyb
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    If ur male friend kows more about ur feelings than dh then yes it's cheating. If you repeatedly turn to him 4 comfort instead of dh, it's cheating. Even if it didn't include sex. Like mentioned above, if u found out dh was doing this instead of coming 2 u...how would u feel? Having a convo every once in a while may b ok, but watch that line.
    me: 33 DH: 33
    #1 9/18/04 (after 3 1/2 ys)
    #2 1/12/07 BFP 2/16/07
    #3 12/11/07 BFP 1/7/08
    #4 5/13/08 BFP Betas #1: 134; #2: 2158; #3: 7171 u/s: 6/5/08 EDD 1/20/09--DOB 11/23/08 3lb15oz 16 1/2" long

http://TeamPiggott.blogspot.com