FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lee na
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

3 months after varicocele surgery... new update! new update pg 2 - I'm pregnant!

My husband had varicocele surgery 3 months ago and he just had his follow-up semen analysis.

His analysis before the surgery was 9,000 count and 0% motile for the first analysis and then 2mil count 0% motile the second time.

Now the analysis post-surgery is 1.3mil count and 4% rapid, 1% slow.

The morphology has been good even before the surgery. It hovers around 35%.

The count didn't improve at all after the surgery, but at least now there is some motility.

Our plan right now is for him to take a ton of vitamins and then go back in 3 months for another analysis. I am hoping that the numbers gradually improve over time. Based on what I have read online, the numbers can improve gradually for up to two years. Does anyone know of any charts that show how the numbers will improve or think this is even a possibility?

update: We got another test done and it's now been 8 months since the surgery. Things are improving!

count: 5 mil
    motilitiy: 20% rapid, 10% slow
    morphology: 53%

The morphology is really good! We just need to increase the count and motility now.
    Last edited by Lee na; 04-07-2012 at 10:10 AM.

2. Advertisement

Mondayschild
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Lee,
    I have read and been told that after varicocele repair the numbers continue to improve over the next several months up to 2 years. There is some data on how long term effects of varicoceles will slow down sperm production and for some men it just takes a while for their body to recogonize the change. DH had his bilateral repair done on 10/30/09, his counts have not been improved much but his motility and morphology are doing great. They told us not to expect the counts to improve, but we should see improvement in the motility and morphology. His counts have always been all over the place though. He had 0% motility and 0% morphology at the first of October. His motility is up to 50%. He has been doing acupuncture along with supplements during his 3 month recovery.

Erin83
    Retrieval this week!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hopeful
    Hi Lee!! Our urologist told us that the numbers don't usually improve until the 9-12 month point and then whatever you get at 1 yr is usually what you're gonna get. Good luck!!

Erin
    Me (31) DH (35)
    Trying to conceive since April 05
    Femara #1 - BFP, m/c Sept 07 @ 3 wks
    Clomid #1 - BFN
    IUI #1 04/08 - BFN IUI #2 06/08 - BFN
    IUI #3 04/09 - BFN
    DX - Oligomenorrhea, Prothrombin Gene, MF, uterine polyp
    DH's surgery Feb 2009, a success!!
    currently lost 55lbs!! Oing on my own now!!
    IVF#1 Feb 2014 Beta #1- BFP!! Its a boy!!
    Hysteroscopy to remove polyp Feb 2014

Lee na
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin83 View Post
    Hi Lee!! Our urologist told us that the numbers don't usually improve until the 9-12 month point and then whatever you get at 1 yr is usually what you're gonna get. Good luck!!

Erin
    Interesting piece of information... did he give you a reason for why that is?

mk37994
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lee,

I had the bilateral varicocele reqair,. I had my first analysis and it went from 1.5 million with less then 2% normal to 4.3 million and normal parameters. Each analysis got better. What people dont realize is it takes 3 months for new sperm to produce. So if you try an analysis before 3 months its useless. And if you think about it the testicles just started healing right after the surgery. Typically the better results are at the 6 month plus when the true affects can be seen.

The urologist did give me clomid about the 6 month mark for the extra boost in sperm, and my dw got pg naturally 3 months later. I also took vitamins my urologist recommended from theralogix look them up online.

mk

Lee na
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mk37994 View Post
    Lee,

I had the bilateral varicocele reqair,. I had my first analysis and it went from 1.5 million with less then 2% normal to 4.3 million and normal parameters. Each analysis got better. What people dont realize is it takes 3 months for new sperm to produce. So if you try an analysis before 3 months its useless. And if you think about it the testicles just started healing right after the surgery. Typically the better results are at the 6 month plus when the true affects can be seen.

The urologist did give me clomid about the 6 month mark for the extra boost in sperm, and my dw got pg naturally 3 months later. I also took vitamins my urologist recommended from theralogix look them up online.

mk
    Thanks, your story makes me hopeful! We might also try Clomid down the road... at least it's another option we can try.

Lee na
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    bumping

Mondays
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    I wanted to also share that 6 mths after varicocele repair, my DH was also given clomid to give him a little push and 1 mth later we conceived naturally.

Lee na
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just wanted to give an update on us. It's two years after I posted this thread and we are still trying. My dh decided to try Clomid. He has been taking that for 5 months and now here are our results:

count: 10.8 mil
    motility: rapid 30%, slow 20%, immotile 50%
    morphology: 25%

Now we need the morphology to go up to as high as it has been in the past. Not sure why it dropped all of a sudden. We also need the count to go up, but the motility is good enough.

We are still waiting... he is going to start taking all the vitamins he was taking before and he is going to increase the Clomid he takes - he was taking 1/2 pill and he is going to try a whole pill.

We are going to try IUI if that doesn't work.

SC-Impatient_in_VA
    *ments* Baby pic in album
    Site Coordinator
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    Lee na -- Sorry to hear you haven't found success yet, but that's certainly a really encouraging improvement! If that's 25% Kruger morphology, then that's pretty high! If you do go with IUI, try to find a place that will let you bank & combine several samples for each IUI without charging you an absolute fortune for this service. It'll increase your odds dramatically (by letting each perfectly timed IUI have a really juicy amount of quality sperm).

And DO use a trigger shot for IUI. I can't explain how important that is with male factor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast