FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

nld410
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

DH is not producing sperm

After 2 semen analyses that came back with 0 sperm, my DH had a testicular biopsy and we discovered that he is not producing any sperm. We know that he did at one point because he fathered a child 8 years ago. He is 33 years old. What would account for him no longer producing sperm? Is there a chance that he will ever start to produce sperm again?

2. Advertisement

Neytiri
    is excited!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Shocked
    I am not trying to be offensive or anything but is there a dna test to prove that he fathered the child 8 years ago. The only reason I am asking this is because my husband thought he had fathered a child 4 years ago and turned out the child wasn't his. His count came in at 3 (yes 3 not 3 million). The urologist said that it doesn't just happen over night. My dh also had a biopsy and has had a repair surgery since then. We found out by DNA test that the child wasn't his.

nld410
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your response. And no offense taken. I know you are just trying to help. I know the child he fathered was his because he fathered it with me and I wasn't with anyone else. So that was 8 years ago and I am wondering how it is possible to father a child 8 years ago and now not have one single sperm. he has a testicular biopsy to see if there was sperm in the testicle that was just not making it to the semen. That is not the case. He isn't producing sperm and no one can tell me why not or if he will ever produce sperm again. It's pretty devastating because the first pregnancy 8 years ago did not go to term. So this is pretty much a diagnosis of we will never have children. it doesn't seem possible. So upsetting.

Neytiri
    is excited!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Shocked
    Quote Originally Posted by nld410 View Post
    Thank you for your response. And no offense taken. I know you are just trying to help. I know the child he fathered was his because he fathered it with me and I wasn't with anyone else. So that was 8 years ago and I am wondering how it is possible to father a child 8 years ago and now not have one single sperm. he has a testicular biopsy to see if there was sperm in the testicle that was just not making it to the semen. That is not the case. He isn't producing sperm and no one can tell me why not or if he will ever produce sperm again. It's pretty devastating because the first pregnancy 8 years ago did not go to term. So this is pretty much a diagnosis of we will never have children. it doesn't seem possible. So upsetting.
    I am so sorry....I am going through something similar. I would keep asking the urologist questions. Me and my dh have an appointment with our urologist on monday. My husband had a surgery in january to repair and the SA came back with zero sperm yesterday. I don't know why and I would like some answers. He used to have a count of less than one million and now he has none. I don't understand how a repair surgery can make it worse. I will ask a bunch of questions and I will let you know what they say and maybe it will be able to give you some insight. There has to be some sort of explainiation for our cases!

nld410
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did your dh have a sperm aspiration done? Our urologist did that procedure TESA to see if he could extract sperm directly from the testicle. It's possible that there is no sperm in the semen but that he is producing sperm. Good luck tomorrow.

Neytiri
    is excited!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Shocked
    no ...i think our next step is TESE then maybe move on to donor sperm. ( if he wants too)

nld410
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    We are thinking about donor sperm. He's ok with it. i don't know how I feel about it. What long-term affects will it have on my life/ the child's life/ my husband's life. It's so hard to figure out what the best thing to do is.

Neytiri
    is excited!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Shocked
    Donor sperm is a really big step. I don't really have a problem with it but DH does. I brought it up almost 2 years ago and he said no way no how. I have yet to bring it up lately. We have our appt today with urologist at 1:20. We shall see what he has to say