FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions

lalalalala
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Severe Swelling After C-Section

Hello. I am 5 days post emergency c-section with twins born at 36 weeks and 3 days and wondering how long the severe swelling lasts. Mine is especially bad -- they flooded me with fluids via IV to kick start my kidneys which were basically shutting down. My legs from the thighs down look like elephant legs, no exaggeration. My docs said the swelling will disperse and go away but didn't really give a time frame.

Boy, c-section is NOT easy. Not that vaginal birth is either... But I had no clue what I was in for. Any tips on reducing the swelling welcome! Also, is the skin flap near incision that everyone talks about inevitable or is there something you can do to avoid it? Thanks.

2. Advertisement

SC-blu_sky
    has no status.
    Site Coordinator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Happy
    The skin flap is inevitable. As for the swelling, mine wasn't that bad but it did go down after about a week. It is true that you need to walk as much as you can. Don't over do it but you do need to get up and move around.
    Liz (37) DH (37)
    3.5 years ttc, 2 surgeries & 9 medicated cycles, end result priceless!
    Sofia and Alexander 11/14/06 @ 34w2d We are 6!!!
    Proud member of the 777 club!

MMM26
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did acupuncture to help with the swelling. I had it really bad in my hands and feet after my c section of my triplets. It took a week or two before it really started to go away. I didnt think it ever was going to though. Good luck.

DrAussieMom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    What do you mean about the skin flap??

I had no swelling, but my nurse said I was very lucky - I am not sure why, but I walked around ALOT (not sure if that helped).

Best of luck, hope you recover soon!!!
    Me and DH.
    - DD is over 2 now!
    - One Bundle of Joy a few months old!

lalalalala
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kristie -- I don't know exactly what the skin flap is I keep hearing about... I thnk it's loose skin that hangs over incision that I understand you can only get rid of by plastic surgery. I'm only 9 days post delivery so have no idea if I'll develop it or not. My incision seems to be healing okay but I still have the strips on them.

My swelling is still severe but hopefully I'll see some improvement this week.

mvp
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on the birth of your twins. My swelling was gone within 10-12 days after both of my c-sections. I also had swelling after my vaginal birth too, but I don't remember how long it took for the swelling to go down. It seemed to be better in the morning after I had my feet elevated for longer periods of time. Try to take good care of yourelf. Drink lots of water and eat lots of protein and try to get some good rest if you can. These will all help with healing.

Good luck and hang in there.

lalalalala
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks MVP.

For those of you suffering from intense swelling post C-section / birth and feel it will never go away, it slowly does. I am still very swollen but seeing improvement every day. Am now 11 days post-op. I know it's very frustrating and uncomfortable but it does get better.

lianyla
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine
    MINE WAS AWFUL!!!! Like 15 lbs of water weight post delivery at least! It was gone 15 days after delivery. One day I just woke up and it was gone! Felt great. It was really really disturbing not to recognize my feet, hands and ankles. Extremely.