FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

mvp
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the 2nd c-section easier?

My ob says that recovery from the second c/s is easier (barring any complications like infection etc.) mainly because the nerves are already cut and you've been through it all before. So, what do you think? Is the second c/s recovery easier. What is your experience or experience of others you know? My first was an emergency and I keep thinking if I have a scheduled c/s it's got to be at least a little easier.

Thanks,

Michelle

2. Advertisement

DrAussieMom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Great question, I have only had one, but I wanted to ask, was your first one difficult in recovery?

I found mine pretty easy overall, it took about a week to get back to able to do everything, but didn't push it for about 2-3. I have found through this forum that many were not so lucky. I wonder if there is a coorelation between how hard the first one vs. the second one was?
    Me and DH.
    - DD is over 2 now!
    - One Bundle of Joy a few months old!

mvp
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't have any complications with it. But it was extremely painful at first since I was on general anethesia. Also, I was very sleepy for the first couple of days. Since I had had a vaginal with my first, I think having a c/s with my second made it seem a lot more difficult. Of course I had to take it really easy and had to rely on others a lot more, which was hard. I also had a hard time sleeping comfortably and getting up out of bed (where I was sitting up to sleep) to feed the baby. I think I did try to get off the pain meds (switching only to motrin) as quickly as possilbe as I didn't know how they would affect the baby (I was breastfeeding). So, that may have made a big difference in the amount of pain I had too. Also, I remember feeling very weak and naseaus for about 10 days after. I was wondering if that had to do with the general anethesia or just hormones.

DrAussieMom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I too did the general anethesia - which I would not chose again. I was on a mag drip, so that made me totally out of it (I actaully don't remember seeing DD for the first time, but DH got pictures). I went from vicotin to motrin on day 3. I had a hard time getting up and walking around for about 3-4 days. By the time I left the hospital, I was able to gingerly walk around.

I didn't mean to hijack your thread and original question - I hope some can answer it for you as I have the same question!
    Me and DH.
    - DD is over 2 now!
    - One Bundle of Joy a few months old!

mvp
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like to hear first time stories too!

jbratfine
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    HI,big time barge here,i am not preg(going for a hysto aug 29th),,but i have had 5 c-sections,and after the 1st one the rest did seem a bit easier to me,when i could feel my legs i was up walking all round,and left the hospital 2 days after,i recovered quite fast,now i did have the pain in mybikini area,but not to unbearable,,this hysto will have to be done through my scar,so i will be once again cut open right there,so we will see how the recovery goes on that one,very much good luck to you and i wish you a very speedy recovery

kasey g
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I found them equally painful.

Kasey

Bonnie2
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am having my second c-section in December. My first was very easy and I am thrilled that my OB wants to do it again. No pain and my twins came out stress free and looking perfect at 39 weeks.

My girlfriend told me that she thinks the second c-section is harder only because of the scar tissue from the first. Not sure what that means, but I think maybe the healing is slower. ( I will ask her again...)

My other girlfriend told me that the second is harder because u have other children that want to climb in your lap and require more out of u than a new born. ugh, my twins are going to make it rough for me, I am sure!

mvp
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input girls.