FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    pemmie
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

The 10 Best Fertility Centers (Child Magazine)

Hi: Came across this and found it really interesting. There are some really cool and different techniques employed out there at the top institutions (for instance, Cornell can take a biopsy of your uterine lining and grow the fertilized eggs on top of the lining! - instead of using the standard IVF liquid). Anyway, for those of you looking for a center or looking to switch after many failed attempts, many of these places work with "out of town" people...

Anyway, an interesting read.

http://infertility-ivf.com/ChildMagazine.pdf

2. Advertisement

KGC
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I too read that article 2 years ago when I was looking for a clinic. I ended up going with CCRM--mostly because their numbers were so great. But things have changed now, and no one has done another review of clinics. Now blastocyst culture has spread to most clinics, and vitrification of embryos has also changed the game. The best place to see what people are doing is to check the CDC website.

KGC
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    And although our IVF cycle was successful with CCRM-- I don't think I would recommend them to anyone.

pemmie
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've gone to the SART.org site to look at the rates (I think that's like the CDC). anyway, i wish someone would update this article. It's hard to know what to make of the rates as some places like Cornell supposedly take on a disproportionately larger number of "hard cases" (women who have failed 2 to 3 times at another clinic). I have failed twice now and really want to make the most of my 3rd try. Cornell is REALLY far from my house and it's hard to tell if it's worth it.

Sometimes I wonder if there is a right answer to all this madness - of if it's just a total crapshoot!

KGC
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    pemmie,
    I sorry to hear that you've been thru the process 3 times. how intense. It is such a hard place, and there is no cohesive information out there. maybe I should take a month off and really compile the data. Or find a real journalist that can do it. Being in the place of not knowing where to turn, as well as dealing with IF in general is so hard. But for now, I think we are stuck looking at the SART/CDC site, picking 4 or 5 sites that are possible to get to, and have good numbers and then doing a good phone interview with the clinic.
    When I went to CCRM, which is 6 hours from where we live, we had to stay in Denver for 2 weeks for the end of the stims, ER, and transfer. And that was definately not fun or easy to manage with work. However at the time I thought I was maximizing my chances, and that made it more bearable.
    But really, there is no right answer. we just do the best we can with limited information and limited resources...
    I really wish you the best with your search. let me know what else you decide.

marnieblue
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    pemmie do take success rates with a grain of salt. Sucks that's we have to but we do. I know for certain many of the top clinics in the country turn away difficult cases. I have a high FSH and those top clinics would turn me away in a heartbeat or only suggest donor eggs. I think since your Dx is MF I may look into clinics that have a lot of experience with MF/ICSI. Do know after two failed cycles at one clinic it is recommended you find another clinic. At least get a second opinion. Sometimes even a protocol change can make a world of difference. I would also FOR CERTAIN ask about additional testing. I found, after 4 failed cycles that I have compound heterozygous MTHFR and tested positive for anticardiolipin antibodies. Finding this out sooner could have made a world of difference for me.

Sending positive thoughts.....

pemmie
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for all of your thoughts. yes - i agree it's defintely a good idea to take the rates with a grain of salt. all i know SO FAR, is that we have severe MF issues, but i'm wondering after 2 failed fresh, and 1 failed FET if there is something wrong with me as well? i've done research and am so overwhelmed by the multitude of fertility issues that are out there and wonder why my RE has not mentioned doing any further diagnostic testing on me? i don't want to be disrespectful and try to tell him how to do his job, but it's starting to annoy me, especially after spending many thousands of dollars and going through a lot of heartache. supposedly i'm at a good place, but i'm now seriously considering cornell as they invented ICSI (so they're apparently good at handling MF issues) and seem to do interesting things w/ culturing the embryos. it's so far away, but i figure it's worth a shot - just hoping and praying they can find a way to do this successfully w/ my body.

anyway, i have 3 consultations w/ 3 different docs (current and 2 new ones - one of which is cornell). wish me luck that i pick the right one!

Bellacossina
    Trying to stay grounded and focused

Post Thanks / Like
    Pemmie,

I don't think Cornell "invented" ICSI - maybe they were the first in NYC, but the facility that invented it, along with the Dr, is in St. Louis, Missouri and he does the "Baby Lab" shows on the Discovery Channel, Sherman Silber. http://www.infertile.com/

I do have a suggestion - first, I wanted to know if you would mind disclosing where you have gone in NJ? I have gone to Cornell and RMA and have decided to move to SIRM. Most of the BIG facilities here in NYC are pretty much the same - they vary slightly, but most of them don't "think outside of the box." I was told I'd be an open and shut case, but obviously I have become a difficult patient- they have said I just have "bad luck..." clearly a medical term I am familiar with.

So, my suggestion to you is to first, beyour own advocate - if you feel that you need more testing, then ask for it. I asked for more testing for my husband's sperm and was told that they don't do the testing, this is why I am going to Sher Inst. You know your body and this is your body, so get back into the driver's seat and find a Dr/facility that will treat you as an individual and not another number.

Everyone is doing ICSI these days, Cornell's "co-cultrue" doesn't always work (I have a friend that has done 3 cycles with Cornell/co-culture=BFNs) and if it did and it was the silver-bullet, ALL of the top places would be doing it. Keep this in mind when looking at these places.

There is no harm in getting second, third or even fourth opinions once we've had a few failed cycles. We need answers, and we shouldn't stop until we find a place that will take good care of us and our embryos!!

I am wishing you all the very best and I know this path is - it has completely changed me as a person. Just know that you are not alone!!
    Last edited by Bellacossina; 01-09-2010 at 11:01 AM. Reason: spelling correction
    Me - PCO Ovaries (Previous IF history with ex-husband)
    Fiancé - no known issues

Current: Trying naturally
    Natural pregnancy 10/12 = loss

IF History:
    2/08- IVF= BFP / loss at 12 weeks
    10/08- FET= BFP / loss-Chemical pregnancy
    1/09 & 2/09 - Natural IUIs = BFN
    5/09- IVF = BFN
    8/09 - FET = BFN
    8/5/10 - FET = BFN
    8/10/11 - IVF #6 = cancelled

remainhopeful
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bellacossina, I am curious what have made you to choose SIRM. Is there anythign special that they do there? I also cycle at Cornell and have failed 3 IVFs (June 09, Sep 09 and Nov 09 all BFNs). I am thinking of switching clinics and am considering CCRM (Colorado). I wonder if I should consider a local clinic before turning to CCRM. I think someone said SIRM is good at treating poor responders (i am one of them). Have you consulted with SIRM?

Bellacossina
    Trying to stay grounded and focused

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by remainhopeful View Post
    Bellacossina, I am curious what have made you to choose SIRM. Is there anythign special that they do there? I also cycle at Cornell and have failed 3 IVFs (June 09, Sep 09 and Nov 09 all BFNs). I am thinking of switching clinics and am considering CCRM (Colorado). I wonder if I should consider a local clinic before turning to CCRM. I think someone said SIRM is good at treating poor responders (i am one of them). Have you consulted with SIRM?
    hi, I am going to SIRM the beginning of Feb. I have heard that they do more tests that can detect chromosonal genetic issues within couples. They do CGH testing and over-all, they seem to think outside of the box for those of us that have "bad luck".... Or many failed cycles with "no known explanations."

I would set up an appt. to see what they say. I think it's worth it since they are here.

I got discouraged with the two other facilities because they didn't even do any of the more detailed sperm and genetic tests I had done research on. They both just wanted me to keep google and believed sooner or later one of my cycles would work.... I need a Dr that is a little more proactive than, we're so close.

I will let u know how my appt goes, if you'd like.
    Wishing u luck and if u ever want to chat, I'm here and there's also a good Reolve support group that I go to if you'd like to come??!!

Let me know- and know that you're not alone... I'm here for ya!!
    Last edited by Bellacossina; 01-10-2010 at 09:55 AM.
    Me - PCO Ovaries (Previous IF history with ex-husband)
    Fiancé - no known issues

Current: Trying naturally
    Natural pregnancy 10/12 = loss

IF History:
    2/08- IVF= BFP / loss at 12 weeks
    10/08- FET= BFP / loss-Chemical pregnancy
    1/09 & 2/09 - Natural IUIs = BFN
    5/09- IVF = BFN
    8/09 - FET = BFN
    8/5/10 - FET = BFN
    8/10/11 - IVF #6 = cancelled

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast