FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Hopeful2009
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

follicle size for ivf

hi all-

I'm in the process of my first IVF through a medical trial. I'm taking lupron and have been on menopur (2 vials) for one week. Today I went in for monitoring and it looks like I have 2 lead follicles - (one over 15 and one about 20) - one on each side. There are smaller follicles on each side (I think maybe 2 or 3 on each) - but they are much smaller (8,9, 10,11 ) I go in again tomorrow (and probably every day now) - I'm concerned that the smaller ones won't catch up - They seem to think the ER will probably be sometime around the end of the week. Since this is the first time I wanted to get any ones opinion who has been through it and how it usually works.

Thanks so much in advance!!
    -Hopeful

2. Advertisement

eastbat
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not totally sure. I think they need to be around 16 or 17mm in size. Although I had a doctor tell me that as long as they are over 14 they could be okay. I think they generally expect them to grow about 2 mm a day.

Remember it is not the quantity it is the quality. It only takes one. So don't worry about the smaller ones catching up. I have been through 3 IVF's and I have ranged from 2-5 follicles each time.

Hang in there. This is an exciting time..this could be the month you get pregnant!

Trinity70
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    they grow about 2mm per day. my doctor takes from follicles between 18 and 22 mm... When I did my trigger they still weren't all good, but 34 hours later, they were great. the doctors like to have success so I'm sure they are going to do what is best. Good Luck

Hopeful2009
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks + ER scheduled!!

Thanks ladies - I went again today and bloodwork shows that my E2 is dropping so I'm getting ready to ovulate. So... I trigger tonight and ER is Thursday! They said they wished that I could wait a little longer - but the body is doing what it wants to do !

I was told at worst we would get no eggs and at best 4 (there at most 4 possible 'ready' follicles) - so we'll see.. I'm trying to really think positive - please wish me luck!! We're also doing ICSI - so hopefully that will help..

Thanks again!!

eastbat
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am keeping my fingers crossed for you...another option for you to keep in mind is freezing what yuu get. I have been doing this a while and I wish someone told me earlier. I had 1 cancelled cycle and I failed. Then last month I decided to freeze my embies if I had less than 4. I got three and ended up freezing them. I decided to cycle again this month and got 5. I did a transfer with my 5 from this cycle. I still have the frozen 3. There are a lot of options out there. We could have defrosted the other 3 and my doctor could have picked the best out of the 8 to transfer. Harvesting is a newer concept but it can be pretty effective. I probably wouldn't have done it after my first IVF.

I am wishing you all the luck. Just know that it only takes 1 egg and that there are other things like "harvesting" your eggs before you do the final transfer.

Keep us posted!!! BABY DUST!

Trinity70
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    hopeful, good luck with you ER. Thats great! east is right... it only takes one!!!