FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions

Aunt2bMomSoon
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Fluid in Uterus - what causes this and how does it affect IVF outcome?

Hi Ladies,

I need some information on the causes and effects of fluid in the uterus. I went in for my midcycle ultrasound today (CD7 - so far I have done 5 days of clomid and 2 nights of Follistim + Menopur). When the tech was measuring my uterine lining she said there was some fluid in my uterus. This could possibly be blood. I am stressed out because I do not know what causes fluid to build up in the uterus and do not know how it will affect my IVF outcome.

I have had a previous mc due to subchorionic bleeding which makes me wonder if it will happen again

I would appreciate any information on this.

Thanks
    Me (34) DH (34); TTC 2003; PCOS, overweight & IR, low sp vol and slightly low morph
    6 failed IUI (1 Clomid; 4 Bravelle; 1 Gonal-F)
    IVF #1 - M/C 1.28.07 (8w3d) due to subcho bleeding
    IVF #2 - June 07 BFN
    IVF #3 - Dec 07 BFN
    IVF #4 – May 08 - beta 11dp3dt 5.31.08 = 507; beta 17dp3dt = 4326 (IVF/ICSI, co-culture, no bcp, clomid + inj)
    1st u/s 6.9.08 twins. 11w5d u/s lost 1 twin at 8w2d.

2. AngelButton
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    i'm sorry you are going through some stress right now. I don't know the answer to your question, but wanted to say i am thinking of you and hoping all turns out okay for you!

mamamolly
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know much about this topic, but when I had formal ultrasounds during diagnostics before I started treatment last year, they noted a small amount of fluid in my uterus. They didn't think it really meant anything in my particular case, though, and I haven't heard any mention of it since. So, it's not necessarily a cause of alarm in all cases. I hope that ends up being the case for you.

BC-Sirell
    is loving her new home in San Diego!
    BC for Surrogacy
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amused
    I've had the same thing happen during my last two cycles right around the same time. Both REs thought it was just some left over blood. By the next U/S the fluid was gone and both cycles were successful.

I hope this helps and you have the same outcome.

Hugs,

Sirell
    6xsurrogate

SomedayMommy
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Oh, gosh, I am sorry that I don't have info! But I wanted to lend some support! I didn't know you were this far into your cycle!
    Stacie(37) DH(30)
    Bilateral hydros (cauterized), elevated dheas
    IVF#1 8/02 BFN -- IVF#2 3/05 BFN -- FET#1 6/05 BFN
    IVF#3 9/05 BFP Ben 4/29/06 -- FET#2 11/07 BFN
    IVF#4 5/08 BFP Ashley 1/2/09

loraG
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry this is happening to you. This happened to me twice. I'm not really sure what causes it. Sometimes it goes away. Mine was still there the day before my transfer so they cancelled my transfer and froze my embryos. Hope that doesn't happen to you.

Oh and another time during a FET they were able to drain it.

Aunt2bMomSoon
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much everyone.. I hope the next couple of days the fluid resolves by itself.. I have never seen this happen to me in the past so I am not sure why it happened this time. The tech was asking me if I was still having my period because it could be left over blood from a period that is ending.. but I stopped bleeding a couple of days ago.

Angelbutton, mamamolly ~ thanks for the support and encouragement.

BC-Sirell ~ thank you.. your successful cycles give me hope that I may still have a chance of success..

loraG ~ I am going to hope I do not get cancelled.. but that was the first thought after my ultrasound.. I told my husband that worst case scenario, they can not force us to transfer our embryos if the uterine is at risk with fluid/blood. I guess I will just wait and see.

SomedayMommy ~ Thanks for the support. Yes I have started my 4th IVF.. hoping for the best yet preparing for anything that will come my way

Thank you again everyone for your response.
    Last edited by Aunt2bMomSoon; 05-07-2008 at 12:39 PM.