FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mamedarling
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Only ONE egg fertilized! Trying to understand what happened.

Hi, everyone. I'm so sorry that my first post is a plea for help/support. I'm just glad to find you, and I feel so alone and sad right now.

I've been TTC for a year and a half with donor sperm, discovered severe endometriosis last spring and have had had lots of failed IUIs. We couldn't afford IVF, no matter how hard we tried to make it work, so I was so happy when we found our way into an IVF study, our only shot at getting this kind of help.

Since I'm 32 with good FSH levels, and I've always responded really well to stims during injectable cycles, I wasn't concerned at all that my response to IVF drugs would be poor. They did a "long lupron" protocol with BCPs, and I eeked out 8 eggs at the ER. That day, I got a call from the embryologist saying that 4 of those 8 were immature and one was not viable, which left me with three eggs. They ICSI'd those and this morning I found out that only ONE managed to fertilize.

The study I'm in stipulates that a minimum of two embryos have to be transferred, so I'm not even sure right now whether I'll be able to stay in the study, much less whether my one fertilized egg will survive for a 3-day transfer. Guess there will be more news tomorrow.

I'm in total shock and so sad and so tired of being told too "look on the bright side" after one piece of bad news after another. I just wish this weren't our only shot.

Has anyone been through anything like this? I don't understand how it could have happened.

2. Advertisement

thebrg
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do not know the answer, but maybe with more info somebody else might. Since it was a study I am curious if they are "up to par" on their stimming methods. What meds and amounts did they have you on and for how long? And what was your "long lupron" protocol consist of?

I really hope that your embie makes it and that they still let you transfer. If you paid anything at all they should let you transfer it!
    Rachel -30 & DH -43
    IVF #2 triplets born at 23w 6d
    all in Heaven
    www.TripletButterflyWings.com
    IVF # 4 - BFP with singleton

Mamedarling
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much for the response!

I don't know about the stimming methods, but that's a good thing to think about. They started me on one vial (75 units?) Menpour + 150 IUI Follistim. They later upped it to 300 and then 375 of the Follistim. I only stimmed for 7 days. The Lupron was 10 cc for two weeks till I started stimming and then went down to 5.

What's been especially hard is sitting/lying next to the other study participants in the recovery and waiting rooms and hearing that they're getting 20 and 30 eggs. Sigh. ANYway, I really appreciate the message. It's good to be able to talk about it.

thebrg
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is a long time on Lupron. My RE had me on 10 days at 10 units then down to 5 and this is considered long compared to the other ladies. For comparison my doses normally are 150 menopur and 175 follistim. This time I am on 75 menopur and 300 follisitim. So around 300-325 ui total. You were at 225 ui and then jumped up to 450. Maybe that had something to do with it. Really I do not know...just brain storming with you. If the other ladies got lots of eggs then they sound like they know what they are doing. hmmm....
    Rachel -30 & DH -43
    IVF #2 triplets born at 23w 6d
    all in Heaven
    www.TripletButterflyWings.com
    IVF # 4 - BFP with singleton

marsalilass
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Were all of you on the same long Lupron protocal? That's a really long time on Lupron! My wildest guess is you were over-supressed. Not everyone responds to the meds/protocals the same way and, apparently, this one was not right for you. I'm so sorry! I know how devastating it can be when you believe you're only going to be able to try once . . . .
    Nicole 30, DH 34
    Reproductive Organs Ala Piccaso
    Natural ectopic 1995; 2 IVFs 2007 BFN
    Next Step: IVF #3 -WhoTF Knows?!-

SomedayMommy
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well, I've always done two full weeks on lupron before stims, so that doesn't seem so bizarre to me. But I know that everyone is different.

Aaw, I wish I had any words of comfort. I'm so sorry this happened. I'm hoping that somehow they will take this response and turn it into something positive for you - like say they say, "Hey, we need to do this study with low responders..."

Again, I'm so sorry...I will have hope for your little one that fertilized...

Mamedarling
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, thanks everyone for such kind responses. I really appreciate the information and the support. Sounds like this just wasn't the protocol for us. I'm wondering, too, if we didn't do the trigger shot a little too early. Hopefully, they will at least talk with me about it. It's such a blessing to have this board!

AngelButton
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope it works out for you!

KAG
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mamedarling,
    I'm so sorry. I understand your disappointment. My last IVF cycle I only got one egg. (which my doctor referred to as a fluke). That last cycle I was also on lupron a longer than normal time due to the Doctor's travel schedule.
    I'm really curious about what kind of explanation you've gotten / will get from the Doctor. I think I'm in the same IVF study as you and I bet we are treated at the same clinic since I too am in Austin Texas. I'd love to compare notes.

Hang in there. If that one makes it to ET that's all you need.

Kristy

AngelButton
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KAG
    That last cycle I was also on lupron a longer than normal time due to the Doctor's travel schedule.

WHAT? So basically, what i understand it this : you were oversuppresed because your doctor was on VACATION?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast