FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    happysmileylady
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

What do you avoid during an IVF cycle?

I was specifically told NO Cherry Coke (or regular Coke or Pepsi etc). THis is ROUGH for me. I have a massive addition to Cherry Coke. I have been trying to kick the habit for like 3 years now. In 2006, I was doing FABULOUS and was down to about 1 can or bottle a month. Then Christmas season hits and as a photographer, I am run RAGGED and turn to my crutch of Cherry Coke.

Anyway, that's the biggest thing for me, but I am also avoiding any alcohol (other than what gets rubbed on my butt for the PIO shots :lol: )as well as having cut back on my allergy meds. I take three different ones and even though my RE said they were ok, I still cut my dosage in half. Not quite as effective, but I don't want anything to interfere. I also try not to take any OTC meds like tylenol unless absolutly necessary, same with the Relpax I take for migraines.

So what do you avoid when you are doing an IVF cycle, whether you were told to or not?

2. Advertisement

ilmsg
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was basically just told to avoid alcohol and caffeine. I haven't had either in several months in preparation. That's about it, I was wondering about artificial sweetners? Anyone have an idea?

happysmileylady
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't heard anything about artificial sweeteners at all.

Happy Wife
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did avoid caffeine but my RE never told me to specifically avoid anything.

Rourkek
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    we had one nurse tell us to avoid artificial sweetners, but I don't know what her reasoning is. i did my best, by as a long time ww, it was hard! No heating pads or heated seats in my car either I was told

Happy Wife
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting, I was specifically told to use a heating pad and seat warmers for the PIO shots.

marnieblue
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry about the Coke. I love the stuff!

I was not really told to give up anything. RE did advise to limit caffeine to 2 cups a day. I cut it out completely during stims and post transfer. I was told only Tylenol for any pain.

I do avoid alcohol. I asked RE if I could have a glass of wine (I had company for dinner) after ER and before ET and he said I could have half a glass. DH said "No no!!" so I didn't. I didn't drink tea at all either. Just water and lots of it!

happysmileylady
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have heard both of those, to use a heating pad for the PIO to help with the pain or to not use a heating pad so that it doesn't create an environment that's too warm for the embryos. My RE said to use it, so that's what I am doing.

marnieblue
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will not part with my heating pad! I sat on the thing for hours! RE never advised against it but did say to avoid hot baths after ET.

Iwantababy2008
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My RE did not tell me to avoid anything but my acupuncturist told me no coffee-not even decaf! She said there are components in coffe that are not good for you while TTC. I don't know how true it is but I am willing to try anything.

Kristen

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast