FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cali
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Busy

What is considered a high FSH level?

Tell me about FSH levels - what is considered low and which number is it considered high?

A little over 2 yrs ago mine was 5.94 and I'm feeling a little concerned because I just turned 37 in January. My DH thinks he remembers our RE mentioning he wouldn't do an IVF with a FSH level of 9 or more (I don't remember him saying this so DH may be remembering something else).

My plan was to get pap smear and HSG done and possibly another Laparoscopy BEFORE going in for the baseline where the RE checks out ovaries/uterus and checks my FSH level. Now I'm wondering if I should get the baseline done first to see if my FSH level is low enough to even do an IVF.

In a nutshell, I'm feeling a little concerned with what my FSH level might be.....

Kendra

2. Advertisement

marnieblue
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    As far as I remember, my RE told me that they would like to see it below 10. I don't know if this was for my age (I'm 37 too). He said if it is 10 or above it means "hurry." My first FSH was 12, second was 14 (IVF #1), and last was 11 (IVF #2) so it can really fluctuate. I'd be happy with your levels! I don't really know if it's considered high too but if I remember correctly being lower than 10 was okay. My RE never second guessed working with me. I've gone through 2 IVF cycles and responded well (For my age and FSH).

I might get the FSH test first if I were you just so you know where your stand and possibly help you feel better. This was the first test I took before all the others so maybe when you meet again your RE will want you to start with the FSH.

Best of luck to you!

KarenS-MI
    has no status.
    Board Coordinator
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Your FSH before was just fine. Although it's possible for it to go up quickly, I wouldn't worry about it being too high unless you have other issues that make you concerned about it having gone up. (like possible menopause symptoms- night sweats, hot flashes, etc.)

If it would ease your mind, go ahead & get your FSH levels checked first, that way you might feel a little better going into your cycle!

Good luck Kendra!!

Karen
    ttc #1 for 7 1/2 years
    ~ IVF #1, 6-93, cancelled; IVF#2/rescue ICSI- 7-99, failed
    ~(switched RE's) ZIFT/ICSI- 1-00, successful w/twins, lost 1 at 8w
    ~ ZIFT/ICSI #2, to try for #2- March '03- successful
    ~ GS- IVF #1, 7-05 failed. FET 10-05- BFP, m/c 5w5d

Cali
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Busy
    Okay, so a FSH of 10 is on the high side. Two yrs ago mine was nearly 6. I'm guessing it could've jumped to close to 10 in 2 years time. Well, since I see that RE's will do an IVF with an FSH over 10, I will just switch RE's if this current one won't do an IVF cycle with whatever my FSH level ends up being. I'm thinking I won't even start this IVF until near May so I was thinking it's really too early for a baseline and FSH blood draw.

Thanks,
    Kendra

KarenS-MI
    has no status.
    Board Coordinator
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Good luck to you Kendra! Let us know how things go when you do get your levels checked, ok?

Karen
    ttc #1 for 7 1/2 years
    ~ IVF #1, 6-93, cancelled; IVF#2/rescue ICSI- 7-99, failed
    ~(switched RE's) ZIFT/ICSI- 1-00, successful w/twins, lost 1 at 8w
    ~ ZIFT/ICSI #2, to try for #2- March '03- successful
    ~ GS- IVF #1, 7-05 failed. FET 10-05- BFP, m/c 5w5d

Cali
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Busy
    Karen, really appreciate all your support! I'll be sure to check back in with my FSH levels when I have the b/w done!

Kendra

Cali
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Busy
    I had b/w done yesterday and my FSH came back 5.8. I'm pretty shocked since 2 yrs ago it was 5.94. I guess this is good news at age 37?

Kendra

marnieblue
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kendra,

That's great! Good luck with all of the rest! Lots of baby dust to you!

cat mommy
    cat mommy
    has no status.
    Edit
    That's excellent news Kendra!!!!

tnahope
    has no status.
    High FSH and POF
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That is a great FSH level!!!
    Me 37 DH 37
    IVF 1&3 Cancelled~IVF 2 BFN~IVF#4 BFP m/c ~IVF#5 converted to IUI BFN~IVF#6 BFN FET- None survived the thaw BC of the High FSH board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast