FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

slowmotion
    what are we suppose to write here?
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired

birth control before hysteroscopy

I will be doing IVF soon. My RE requires a hysteroscopy prior to starting IVF protocals. I am scheduled for the diagnostic hysteroscopy and mapping of the uterus for the IVF transfer. The receptionist just gave me a prescription for birth control to start now. She said I have to take birth control to thin my uterus lining for the hysteroscopy. Is this right? I have been looking online and can't find anything on this? Why does the uterus lining have to be thin for the hysteroscopy? I though birth control has to be taken right before starting injections?
    Also, will there be any pain during this procedure? I was told that there will not be any anesthesia. The doctor will give me medications to relax my uteurs and that I will have to bring someone with me to drive me.

2. Advertisement

Seth's Mommy
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not sure, but it makes sense to me that they would want your lining to be thin so they can get the best look at the uterus itself.

I had my hysteroscopy at the same time as my laprascopy (under anesthetic) so I am no help there.

3 ladybugs
    has no status.
    IVF, Child loss, Cancer & IF
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Doh
    Hello!

I have had 2, soon to be 3, hysteroscopies. The first I was sedated for because I had a polyp that needed to be removed. The second was for IVF and the next one I am having is for IVF.

The last hysteroscopy I had I simply took a Rx strength motrin about 1 hour prior to the procedure. I didn't have any really discomfort during the procedure and I must admit, it was cool to see my uterus from the inside. I should also point out that I have a high threashold for pain. However later that day I did feel discomfort as the motrin was wearing off. I would ask your RE if it is alright for you to take the equivalant of rx motrin before your procedure. I can't remember how many MG that is but I think it is 600. That is what I plan to do because my rx motrin has since expired.

As far as having to take BCP before the procedure, I don't know anything about that. It should be done early in your cycle after your heavy flow is over. The reason for this is the lining can interfer with seeing the structure of the uterus. My RE can do this in his office so schedualing is not an issue. I could see if you are seeing an RE that doesn't have this in his office that it could be more of a problem. But that would only be a guess on my part.

I hope that helps! Good luck!
    Jennifer

JenX
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I had to be on birth control, but I have no idea if it was because of the reason they gave you....I would have been towards the end of my cycle so it makes sense that that could have been the reason.

PinkGirl78
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Slowmotion,
    There are 2 types - one is a diagnostic hysteroscopy and one is operative. With the diagnostic you may be given a sedative, the cervix is numbed and it takes place in the doctors office. Operative you are given anethesia. I've never heard of taking birth control pills to think the uterus lining. It makes sense to use them b/c I believe there are certain days when they want to do the procedure to get a good idea of the "environment" during that time frame and possibly to keep things nice and quiet in there. I have not have it done but from what I read it says you may experience some mild cramping and maybe feel bloated afterwards. I hope all goes well. Good luck to you.

- Jen

slowmotion
    what are we suppose to write here?
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    thank you for answering. Yes, my hysteroscopy is a diagnostic hysteroscopy and uterus mapping and cervical culture at the same time. The RE does this on everyone prior to starting IVF. I am really not sure why I HAVE to have this uncomfortable hysteroscopy and pay $1100.00 in fees for it, when I have never had any kind of abnormal bleeding, or anything abnormal on any of my ultrasounds or HSG. My only problem so far is my blocked tubes.

JenningNJ- will I have to do hysteroscopy everytime prior to each cycle of IVF?

Seth's Mommy
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My last RE required a hysteroscopy less than one year old for all of his patients prior to IVF.

3 ladybugs
    has no status.
    IVF, Child loss, Cancer & IF
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Doh
    Quote Originally Posted by slowmotion
    thank you for answering. Yes, my hysteroscopy is a diagnostic hysteroscopy and uterus mapping and cervical culture at the same time. The RE does this on everyone prior to starting IVF. I am really not sure why I HAVE to have this uncomfortable hysteroscopy and pay $1100.00 in fees for it, when I have never had any kind of abnormal bleeding, or anything abnormal on any of my ultrasounds or HSG. My only problem so far is my blocked tubes.

JenningNJ- will I have to do hysteroscopy everytime prior to each cycle of IVF?
    Hysteroscopies can provide your RE with important information to determine if there is anything in your uterus (that may or may not be seen on ultrasound) that would effect implantation.

PAST HISTORY WITH LOST CHILDREN AND MISCARRIAGE MENTIONED
    For me the last hysteroscopy showed me that I had recovered well from the classical c-section (resulted in 3 lost children) that I had last year (I had the last one in March, hysteroscopy that is). I don't know if that is what my RE wanted or not. I do know that he has on his form that it is something that he wants everyone to do before IVF though. However that made me feel better.

This hysteroscopy is because I had a miscarriage last month. I then had an infection that I got after the D&E. I think he wants this one to make sure that there is nothing left inside my uterus that would effect implantation. I don't think he would make me do this if I had just had a normal failed cycle. However because of the circumstances that I have it is recomended. Personally I don't care if he wants to do it again or not and I know it will not hold me up for doing IVF (though the Christmas holiday might). The way I see it I want to make sure I am getting the best chance of having a child with every attempt.
    END OF MENTION

I hope this help you. With any luck you will only need one of these procedures! Good luck!
    Jennifer