FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Second Chances
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Sex during IVF cycle?

I know it's kind of a weird question. But... I are you 'allowed' to have sex during your cycle? I guess that during the suppression and stimming phase maybe..I'm sure there is a cut off date and I know that after ER and ET you can't at all.

Any info Ladies?

2. Advertisement

KAYJAY
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello.....

I never feel up to sex during stims because my tummy feels so full, its painful. Also, I dont want anything swimming about when I go for scans (eewwww.....) However we do get jiggy during suppressing.

As for e/r onwards....its a no-no.... you dont want to risk an infection. My clinic doesnt want me to during the 2ww and if pg occurs, for the first 6 weeks.

Hope this helps!

Second Chances
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no doubt that I"m going to feel like garbage for most of this... def. not anticipating feeling froggy. I knew about none during the 2ww and up to the ultrasound with a BFP.

I just didn't know about time up to ER. I know DH has to provide a 'fresh sample' Guess he's 'on his own'

SampaguitaSD
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Because I was on viagara suppositories, I couldn't have sex during this cycle.

My clinic, SIRM, asks their patients to have intercouse the night before transfer. Their reason (to quote my RE): The purpose of intercourse is that the seminal fluid has some hormones that help to "soften" the cervix and potentially make the trnasfer easier.

However, it's NOT necessary. They have stipulated that many women get pg despite not having the pre-ET intercourse.

We didn't because DH had TESE sperm retrieval on ER day & well, he's sporting 10 stitches & won't be active in that respect for at least another month or 2.

I'll be honest - I am NEVER in the mood when I'm cycling. My poor DH has been pretty bereft this last year & a half!

eli
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SampaguitaSD
    Because I was on viagara suppositories, I couldn't have sex during this cycle.

My clinic, SIRM, asks their patients to have intercouse the night before transfer. Their reason (to quote my RE): The purpose of intercourse is that the seminal fluid has some hormones that help to "soften" the cervix and potentially make the trnasfer easier.

However, it's NOT necessary. They have stipulated that many women get pg despite not having the pre-ET intercourse.

We didn't because DH had TESE sperm retrieval on ER day & well, he's sporting 10 stitches & won't be active in that respect for at least another month or 2.

I'll be honest - I am NEVER in the mood when I'm cycling. My poor DH has been pretty bereft this last year & a half!
    I think I would feel very self consious about STUFF in there if we did it the night before transfer! My clinic hasn't advised us to do that in the, but it's been 3 yrs since I cycled. We'll see what they say this time.

romake
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My clinic has us empty DH (they want fresh swimmers) the day that I take the trigger and then we have to abstain tell 2weeks after ER.

SampaguitaSD
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BC-eli
    I think I would feel very self consious about STUFF in there if we did it the night before transfer! My clinic hasn't advised us to do that in the, but it's been 3 yrs since I cycled. We'll see what they say this time.

I thought about that too in previous cycles where DH was getting antsy. I kept thinking, "I don't want Dr. A to see THAT!"