FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Suzy Q
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

How long for trigger to leave?

Sorry I know its been done before but I couldn't find the previous post but wondered if anyone can help.

I triggered with 15,000 IU HCG (Pregnyl) 10 days ago, Does anyone know how long it will take this amount to leave my system?

I know pee sticks are evil and can't be trusted and i know its twisted logic but I would like to test before beta day (friday) just to prepare myself ... and of course I have the patience of a two year old!

thanks girls

2. Advertisement

Suzy Q
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    ... doh! I'm actually 12 days past trigger (5dp5dt). I read on a pee sticks thread that its 1 day per 1000 units but I'm not sure where this info was sourced from??
    I know the half life is 33 hrs but even with my old pharmacology texts upstairs don't think I could work out quite when it'll all be gone - though i might give it a try - jeez I know now why they call it the 2ww madness I think I'm going completely doo-lally!

kellyrn
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought that the rule was 10dpt. Not positive, but that was it I thought. Good luck!

katiecaskey
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    They say as a general rule that it is 10 days, but mine only took 6 days. I POAS every day (not encouraging that) just saying. Good luck. Oh an d i can so relate to the impatience.
    Katie (27) Tyler (29) married 4.5 ys
    IVF#1 BFP May 2006 1st time mommy to-
    Carson born January 10, 2007 FIGHT LEUKEMIA
    IVF#2 TWIN BOYS!! Feb 15. 2010
    Simeon and Kadyn 34 weekers 5lb9ounces 18"

LouHoo
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've always heard one day per 1,000 units. I usually trigger with 10,000 units, so 10 days, but if you triggered with 15,000, I would say 15 days. Like you said, I don't know the source of this info, but I would wait. It would be a shame to get a + hpt only to find out that it was wrong. I usually don't POAS until the day of beta or the day before, just to be safe. Good luck!

LouHoo
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your question made me curious. I still don't know if these are reliable sources, but here are two things I found on the Internet:

From http://www.babyhopes.com/articles/hcgshot.html

"If you had an hCG (Human Chorionic Gonadotropin) shot and want to take a home pregnancy test, you must keep this in mind. Approximately one half of drug is removed each 28 hours and so for accurate results you should wait at least 12 days and preferably 14 days from an hCG (Human Chorionic Gonadotropin) injection to be confident that a qualitative test is giving a reliable answer. If you test too soon after an hCG (Human Chorionic Gonadotropin) shot, you might get a false positive. Most doctors recommend that you wait 14 days after a 10,000 IU injection, 10 days after a 5,000 IU injection, or 7 days after a 2,500 IU injection."

From http://health.ivillage.com/gyno/gyno...,,4m57,00.html

"After such an injection, the level of hCG in the body will fall by half every 36 hours. This means that after an injection of 5,000 units of hCG, enough hormone will remain in the body to show up as a positive reading on most pregnancy tests for eight to 10 days, and a 10,000-unit dose of hCG can trigger a positive test result for a day or two longer than that. Therefore, if a low-level positive result on a pregnancy test is seen during the 10-11 days after injection, the test may be measuring falling levels from the injection and not signs of a pregnancy. It is impossible to say where the hCG being measured comes from.

If, after 12 days, a pregnancy test is positive, quantitative measurements of hCG in the blood, obtained 48 hours apart, can verify whether the positive pregnancy test indicates a "real" pregnancy, and not just a false indication of pregnancy based on the remnants of the injected hCG."

Again , good luck!

KarenS-MI
    has no status.
    Board Coordinator
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angelic
    I've always been told that it takes approximately 1 day for every 1,000 units of trigger, to leave your system; so if you had a trigger of 10,000, it should be out of your system by 10 days after your trigger shot was done.

So since you had 15,000, I would assume that you'd need to safely allow yourself at least 14 1/2 days. It could be a little sooner, or a little longer- just depends on how your body works!

Good luck!

Karen
    Last edited by KarenS-MI; 09-03-2006 at 10:21 PM.
    ttc #1 for 7 1/2 years
    ~ IVF #1, 6-93, cancelled; IVF#2/rescue ICSI- 7-99, failed
    ~(switched RE's) ZIFT/ICSI- 1-00, successful w/twins, lost 1 at 8w
    ~ ZIFT/ICSI #2, to try for #2- March '03- successful
    ~ GS- IVF #1, 7-05 failed. FET 10-05- BFP, m/c 5w5d

Suzy Q
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks girls.

that's really helpful, I finally figured out i can work it out with very little brain power using the half life: taking it as 36hrs to allow for biological variation - and of course the ease of working it out (the pregnyl data sheet says 33hrs):

levels of HCG from trigger in my blood should be approx:

15,000 day 0
    7,500 1.5 days later
    3750 3 days later
    1875 4.5 days later
    838 6 days later
    419 7.5 days later
    210 9 days later
    105 11.5 days
    53 13 days
    27 14.5 days
    14 16 days

So yep around 15 days depending on the sensitivity on the test. Guess I better hold out a bit longer!

Suzy Q
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    ....lets try again... it's too early for basic maths.....

15,000 day 0
    7,500 1.5 days later
    3750 3 days later
    1875 4.5 days later
    838 6 days later
    419 7.5 days later
    210 9 days later
    105 10.5 days
    53 12 days
    27 13.5 days
    14 15 days

babybigblue
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    when is your beta Suzy?

I had mine 9dp3dt.. and was still not sure if HCG remnants were in my system... I guess you can only be sure once you see them doubling

don't be a naughty girl... embies don't produce HCG right after they implant... so if we assume they implanted 2-3 days after ET they still need some time... 2-3 more days maybe?

good luck sweetie. I am praying for you and your little beans!!!