FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    hope26
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Allergies to Oil-Based Progesterone Shots

Has anyone had allergies to oil-based progesterone shots? After over 2 weeks of progesterone injections, I've started to feel very itchy and irritable around the areas where I've had the shots, as well as under the arms, in the elbow area, bottom of panty line, and legs. It's been really difficult not to itch, so whereever I itch, I get welts that last 30 minutes. My dr said that if it continues, he wants to take me off of the progesterone shots and put me on HCG. Has anyone ever heard of this? Thanks.

2. Advertisement

houndlover
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hope - I know I saw a thread somewhere else on these boards. Hmmmm. I'll see if I can find it. I think there is another PIO you could try.
    2 natural pg (m/c 5wks 11/04, d&c 10wks 3/05)
    IUI Jan 06 BFN
    IVF #1 BFP Our Miracle arrived Jan 16th 2007
    IVF #2 - cancelled - no response
    IVF #3 - cancelled - no response again
    IVF #4 - cancelled - lining too unstable.
    IVF #5 - This will be the one!!! POSTPONED GRR

Please have your furbabies checked annually for lyme disease
    http://www.in-memory-of-pets.com/personaltribute.php?ID=70316

AMF
    thinks Molly's status is a hoot!
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Amused
    Hi Hope,
    What kind of oil is it?
    I have been noticing some itching too...in my face believe it or not, I haven't called RE or anything, cuz it's not as bothersome...

hope26
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, HL. I did read somewhere that someone was able to sustain her twin pregnancy off prog shots and on HCG shots. I am taking prog suppositories at the same time as the prog shots. I wonder if that would be sufficient along with the HCG shots, if I decide to go off the prog shots.

AM--It contains sesame oil.

AMF
    thinks Molly's status is a hoot!
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Amused
    thanks!
    I am using olive oil, I wonder if maybe that has something to do with it???
    I dunno, but good luck!

houndlover
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's the post I had seen. Good Luck!!

Buy progesterone in ethyl oleate...NOT in sesame, cottonseed, or olive oils. The latter are too thick and require a 22 gauge needle that will leave a hole in your butt/hip.

PIO in ethyl oleate can be used with a 25 gauge needle. Your butt will thank you for it.

Better yet. There's a lab in Colorado that makes 100mg sublingual progesterone that my ob/gyn says work just fine (she's documented blood progesterone levels are fine) so you can skip the shots AND the suppositories that leave oil slicks in your panties.

Linda
    2 natural pg (m/c 5wks 11/04, d&c 10wks 3/05)
    IUI Jan 06 BFN
    IVF #1 BFP Our Miracle arrived Jan 16th 2007
    IVF #2 - cancelled - no response
    IVF #3 - cancelled - no response again
    IVF #4 - cancelled - lining too unstable.
    IVF #5 - This will be the one!!! POSTPONED GRR

Please have your furbabies checked annually for lyme disease
    http://www.in-memory-of-pets.com/personaltribute.php?ID=70316

olina
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Hope,
    I'm having also an allergic reaction to it (sesame seed oil) It gets terribly itchy!!!!
    Olina

hope26
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I noticed that it gets worse right after I've taken a shower. It goes away 30 minutes to an hour after... I also feel itching on my face a little bit and even got a little acne. I think I'm going to try to stick it out for the next 7 weeks... Do you think that, if our body continues to react to the oil as it has been, it will affect the baby (or babies)? I'm hoping not.

Thanks, Houndlover, for locating the post. I appreciate the info. If the itching gets to be extremely unbearable, I will have to look into using the non-oil based prog. Thanks again!
    Last edited by hope26; 05-09-2006 at 09:59 AM.

thebabyproject
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My friend Keely was allergic to the sesame seed oil PIO. they had to special order her some in cottonseed oil. she got a terrible weeping rash all over her.

Mine with the old RE has been sesame seed oil. The new RE uses olive oil.

HTH,
    Emily

itchymad
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Terrible itchy rash

Hi all! I posted this somewhere else today but was told I could find help in this thread.

I have been doing PIO injections for 8 days now and seem to be terribly allergic to all the oils. I've tried sesame, olive and cottonseed. My injection site looks like a war zone--red and purple, very swollen and warm to the touch, and the rash has been spreading to my entire hip area. It itches all day and night long. The itching is so intense it's unbearable. I get some relief when I apply an ice pack, but the itching comes back as soon as I remove it.

My doctor told me to take Benadryl, but even that doesn't seem to make any difference, and it knocks me out, making it impossible for me to function during the day. I also tried OTC Claritin without any success, as well as a topical ointment that doesn't seem to make any difference. My doctor seems to think that PIO is the only safe way to go (I had my transfer last week) and tells me that Crinone cream and suppositories carry a higher miscarriage rate (besides, they are very expensive and I don't know if I can afford them). I am really trying to tough it out because I want that baby so bad, but I have to say the itching is so debilitating (and my skin is getting infected) that I don't know how much longer I can go with these PIO injections.

Has anybody here had this problem before and found a miracle cure or recipe for relief? Please help! Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by itchymad; 05-09-2006 at 05:27 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast