FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    penny427
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

3dt vs. 5dt success...

are the odds for success just about the same for a 3dt vs. a 5dt? I have it in my little brain that with a 5dt they just go in and kinda stick really quickly so it seems as though that would work better. With a 3dt I imagine they just float around in there and there is more of a chance of them crapping out. Am I nuts or what?
    Me..33 DH...37

IVF#1..9/05...BFN FET#1..10/05 BFP... 8w
    IVF#2 BFP!Thank you JESUS! I give you all the glory!!
    DD-1/24/07 My life is now complete!! God is amazing!

2. Advertisement

jackiepooh
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Penny, hope that isnt the case cause I had a 3dt and that would mean I'm screwed!!!
    Jackie 32, DH 35 * DX: SMF

3 furbabies, kitties Monina and Pulgo & Shih Tzu Pabu

IVF #1 08/04 BFN IVF #2 04/06 BFN

IVF #3 03/08 - BFP!!! EDD: Dec. 21, '08 ... IT'S A BOY!!

Cubanita
    Cubanita
    has no status.
    Edit
    The only advantage to a 5dt is that they can transfer less embryos and it lowers your chances of HOM.

Some RE's (like mine) believe that many viable embryos do better inside the uterus than they would have in the lab. In other words, they lose a lot of embryos just by trying to get them to grow to blast. My RE does about 90% 3dt.

The usual rule of thumb is that if you have plenty of embryos, you can try to get them to grow to blast. I never have too many so it is too risky for us.

Here is a good article on the subject.

http://www.infertile.com/treatmnt/treats/culture.htm

KAYJAY
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Apparantly, statistically theres not much in it! The advantages are as Cubanita explained. My clinic said that if blasts had a higher success rate, then they would do it more. They too do about 95% 3dt.

Hope this help quench your worries.

love
    KayJay

Iwannababy
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if this helps but I just had my retrieval on 5-3 and because of a risk of ovarian hyper stimulation I cannot put my embryos back in until day 5 (when I have new hormone tests and scans to see if I'm in the clear from hyper stim).. I only have 4 embies at this time, b grade, not looking to promising -so I would have LOVED to put them in at day three to give them their best chance- WAiting till day five in a lab is much more risky than just putting them back in their natural place. I believe embies odds for success must be better in the uterus than the lab!! Good luck to you!!

olina
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Penny,
    Probably you don't remember me, but I sure remember you. I've been following your story since your fresh cycle with the fading line (I was the other one with the same problem) Sorry about your loss ( I also m/c 2 before)
    I'm 4dp3dt today and understand your fear. I almost feel the same way, BUT, as BC Cubanita says, the best place for them to be right now is in the uterus (even though they naturally get there when they are 5 or 6 day old), but anyway our natural growth media is better than the one from a Lab.
    I don't know the % of success comparing both, but one of the difference between those two is that with the 5dt they can be choose better.
    Anyway, I've read some other posts of you and I saw that your embryo grading was great!!!!!! and you are PUPO!!!!!!!!!!! I truly hope to see your great news soon.
    Best of luck
    Olina

JenNeedsABaby
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

long answer~ child ment

My RE and I would disagree with a lot of what has been said. Here is what she explained to me:
    5 day transfers are the way to go because they are able to select the best embryos that have the best chance for survival. Let's say you have 5 embryos and on day 3 your RE picks what she thinks are the best embryos and puts them back. She could have made a mistake and actually the two she left behind were the better bet. Also, the embryo does not nestle into your uterus naturally until day 5 or 6 on a natural cycle so it only seems logical to keep the "natural" way of things. She has had much better success with 5 day embryos. They can always put less back and have better results. I sometimes read that people think the more embryos you put back in the better chance of becoming pregnant. That is not true...the only better chance you have is having multiples which is not what most REs want us to have.
    Now saying all this, I do believe if you have crappy embryos and only a few and they don't look like they will make it to day 5, then day 3 would be a better choice. But, for those who have decent embryos and a decent number lose some of the best embryos in the thaw of the FET.

Just my thoughts after a thorough discussion with my RE.
    Food for thought~ 8 years ago my sister was the first woman to go through the 5 day transfer in Indiana. The whole reason they wanted to experiment with this is because it is more natural for the embryo to be in the uterus on Day 5 (not 3) and because they could select the strongest embryos. I am happy to say she was successful and has twin boys who are 7.
    Jen (34) DH~Kevin (35)
    Married 8 years

IVF:
    DD Kiera
    12/06
    FET:
    B/G Twins
    Garrett & Gabrielle
    Born at 34 weeks
    2/10
    Natural Surprise Pregnancy
    EDD: 2/2012 M/C 7/2012

olina
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jen
    Sorry but mine were not "crappy" at all and my Re decided to do a 3dt because my other cycle which was a 5dt (2 beautiful blasts) ended up in a BFN. I agree that they reach the uterus at a blast stage (or early morula) but I think a 3dt is perfectly fine.

Olina

JenNeedsABaby
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    just curious~ did the 3 day work?
    It would be very wrong to say only 3 days work.
    Jen (34) DH~Kevin (35)
    Married 8 years

IVF:
    DD Kiera
    12/06
    FET:
    B/G Twins
    Garrett & Gabrielle
    Born at 34 weeks
    2/10
    Natural Surprise Pregnancy
    EDD: 2/2012 M/C 7/2012

mathgeek
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I think if it's going to work it will work no matter when you transfer.

For instance I have a friend who goes to my clinic and with her 1st IVF she did a 3dt and got pg, 2nd IVF she did a 5dt (had more eggs) and also got pg.

I have always done a 5dt and have been pg 3-4 (if you count the chemical) out of 5 fresh and 1 FET cycles. BUt I have always had at least 10 fertilized embryos to work with.
    This last cycle I requested to do a 3dt (b/c I thought it might make a difference since I had had 2 BFNs in a row with blasts) and he agreed "if he could tell the 2 best on day 3", well day 3 came along and I had 9 grade 1, 1 grade 2, and 4 grade 3 embryos so he veto'd the 3dt and made us do a 5dt, and sure enough, by day 5 the 2 best were full blasts and some others were early blasts or morulas still. So it depends on what you have to work with.

But NO they won't fall out either way!

Best wishes whatever you decide!
    Tara
    IVF/MESA/ICSI#1 10/02 BFP but had a missed m/c 12/02 no h/b 9w5d trisomy13
    IVF/ICSI #2 04/03 BFP = Ds 12/31/03
    IVF/ICSI#3 06/05- chemical; FET 09/05-BFN
    IVF/ICSI #4 01/06-BFN
    IVF/MESA/ICSI#5 04/06-BFP = Dd 01/02/07

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast