FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

carrie76
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Progesterone suppositories- I am stumped!

Hi ladies, I thought I would post this here, as I know most are familiar with these (maybe not quite so much as the pio though). Anyway, my doctor has prescribed these, and the pharmacy is having a hard time getting insurance approval because they are handmade. And they are, hand filled into these little molds. Has anyone seen this before???? I have been on the supps before, and they came looking like little gelcaps, kept them at room temp and all, like regular pills (except you don't swallow them orally). These look so funky, little rockets in the molds. And insurance suddenly does not want to cover them (I guess because they are handfilled, not a regular med)? Does anyone know if they are expensive out of pocket? I go to a local pharmacy, not Walgreens or CVS, but this seems weird. My OB called in the script so I can't even see exactly what he ordered.

Anyone have a clue about this?

I appreciate any insight, I am clueless!!!! And to think I thought I had seen it all by now...

Carrie

2. Advertisement

KarenS-MI
    has no status.
    Board Coordinator
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Hi Carrie,
    Yep, that's what I was using in addition to PIO on my 1st successful cycle. The reason it's harder to get & you can't get them from CVS or Walgreens is because it's a compound drug & is actually made by the pharmacy. They're not made everywhere. I can't remember how much I paid for mine, but I don't think they were very expensive. You need to keep them refrigerated though once you get them.

I had to pay for mine out of pocket & then submit a form to my insurance company & they ended up paying for them. Your insurance might just not be familiar with them. You might need to speak with a supervisor & explain that it's a form of progesterone & perhaps after they do their research they'll cover it.

Good luck!

Karen
    ttc #1 for 7 1/2 years
    ~ IVF #1, 6-93, cancelled; IVF#2/rescue ICSI- 7-99, failed
    ~(switched RE's) ZIFT/ICSI- 1-00, successful w/twins, lost 1 at 8w
    ~ ZIFT/ICSI #2, to try for #2- March '03- successful
    ~ GS- IVF #1, 7-05 failed. FET 10-05- BFP, m/c 5w5d

darwingirl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My progesterone suppositories cost $20 for 25 of them. They are exactly what you described...little wax looking torpedos in a mold...kind of like ammunition for a machine gun or something. I have an HMO, it didn't pay for injections and it didn't pay for those. At least they aren't too expensive. $20 for basically a month, but of course it depends on the pharmacy how expensive they will be. At least you have an idea.

Jen

Kellibear
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Same here - little wax bullets - cost me $20 for 40 of them - Franklin Drug RX in Philadelphia 8th and Spruce. They specialize in fertilty meds and will deliver

Kel

MEstrada
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I called them little footballs. I ordered them from Metro Drugs in New York 212-794-7200 (it's the place my RE sends all fertility prescriptions to, and they overnight without charge, I think). Very pleased with them. I was lucky and insurance covered them and I only had a $25 co-pay. (I was sent 60 at a time because I was on them 3 times a day). Good Luck!

carrie76
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much ladies!! I was so confused when the pharmacist called me!! I am glad that they won't be too expensive even if I have to pay out of pocket. And that I am not the only one that has ever been on these.

They do look like ammo for a machine gun!! Too funny.

Thanks,
    Carrie

Cathin1
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    They're actually a form of natural progesterone specially compounded by the pharmacy in a cocoa butter base. I won't miss the "bullets: this cycle, but my insurance covered previously. I noticed with the New Year alot of insurance companies are getting finicky with coverage of rx's. I have already appealed having to pay for using Lupron brand as opposed to generic - which they promptly accepted my appeal. And I still have to resend a pharmacy receipt for extra lupron syringes which the insurance company rejected at time of purchase. They were needed because I was doing mdl 4x day. I would save all receipts & try to submit to your insurance appeals dept. They're just finding new & improved ways of shirking payment & hoping no one calls them on it!