FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

jamie_n_g
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

mock transfer??

Hello,
    I'm new to all this, and I started the Orientation/IVF Consult this last week. I have a "mock tranfer" scheduled in April. How bad is this, and does it hurt? I'm wondering if I should schedule to take the day off from work.

Any advice would help. Thanks!

Jamie (26) DH (28)
    TTC 1.5yrs
    Left Hydro
    IVF scheduled 05/05

2. Advertisement

jcc
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you ever had an IUI? I just had a mock transfer to prepare for my first IVF cycle in May. It felt just like an IUI which was some cramping during the procedure and about 1/2 hour later. After that, I just felt a little bit of tenderness but could go on with my day. Good luck !
    Me 34 DH 37
    Mom to Jordyn Trinity & Jacob David - 1/20/2006

chelby
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jaime,
    I just had a trial transfer 2 days ago w/ a new RE and I hardly felt a thing!! It was done in less than 5 minutes. But I think it really depends how small of a cathedar your RE uses and how your cervix is shaped at that moment (time of the month etc) and I also think it depends on your RE.

My actual transfer for my first IVF with my old RE was really stressful and painful (major cramping) because he had such a difficultly with getting the cathedar through my cervix (he said it was S shaped), it took him 3 tries and about half an hour to get it through. I think that was part of the reason why that cycle didn't work...too much trauma! I was even thinking of doing ZIFT next cycle because it was so bad.

My hysteroscopy procedure with this old RE was also very painful because he again had a hard time getting through my cervix, where my new RE also just did a hysteroscopy and got through my cervix so effortlessly, I was in disbelief!

But even the painful ones only lasted as long as the procedure. I think I had some cramping but I don't think you'll need to take off work for it.

Good luck!

1/12/05 Hysteroscopy (difficulty w/cervix), 2 polys removed (in office!)..
    1/21/05 IVF/ICSI #1 FSH 9.9 Antagon Flare Protocol 2/3/05 ER 5 eggs (4/5 dark eggs?) 2/6/05 ET (difficulty w/cervix again!) all 3 embies (8cellA/B,4cellA,4cellA/B) BFN

3/15/05 Switched RE (me likes!) - CD2 Start BCP 3/24 Trial Transfer & Hysterocscopy (no trouble w/cervix!!) - coast is clear! Foregoing Lap for possible Endo 3/27 Stop BCP
    3/31/05 IVF/ICSI #2 :
    Last edited by chelby; 03-25-2005 at 05:26 PM.
    1/21/05 IVF #1 FSH 9.9 Antagon Flare Protocol w Follistim&Repronex. 5 eggs (4/5 dark eggs?) Transfered all 3 embies (8cellA/B,4cellA,4cellA/B) BFN
    3/15/05 Switched RE - CD2 Start BCP until 3/27
    3/31/05 IVF #2 FSH 13.9 Microdose Lupron Protocol w Gonal-F&Reprenex. Cancelled NO response. Added Clomid and grew 2 follies 1 week later.
    4/19/05 Converted to IUI 5/3/05 Beta

Lisa555
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn't hurt a bit!! and I'm the biggest baby when it comes to pain...

Best of luck to you!!

Lisa
    Me-40/DH - 42
    IVF #1-3 BFN IVF#4 -BFP Nicholas Jay born 4/22/06
    TTC #2 - IVF #5 BFN
    IVF #6 - m/c at 8 weeks
    IVF#7 - BFP -Caroline Grace born 11/2/07

catmom
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    It does really depend on your cervix, but it's generally really easy. It was a little bit uncomfortable, but I didn't have any cramping or anything. It took less than 5 minutes for me. You shouldn't need to take the day off.

The catheter my RE uses is smaller than the one they use for IUI, so for me it was actually easier than an IUI.

BTW, they do a mock transfer to determine the proper angle & depth to go when they actually transfer the embryos. My RE said when they do the actual transfer, they want to go as far into your uterus as possible without touching the top, so they need to know exactly where the top is.

Good luck to you!

Catmom

simi70
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    my doc does this mock transfer on the day of retrieval( which is done under deep sedation) . its a good time to chk if yr cervix will let the catheter pass easily, which is key for a successful transfer. in my case the catheter passed easily , so my transfer did not need sedation. in cases where the catheter does not pass easily, they do the transfer under sedation as well, bcoz they dont want excessive cramping and patient movement during the transfer.

CrystalAZ
    has a status! Booyah!
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    I had an HSG and nearly passed out from pain when they pushed the tube through my cervix, so I wasn't looking forward to the mock transfer and started crying when he was getting ready to do it.

Then he said "all done". LOL

I didn't feel a thing.

Crystal

SuzanneM
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jamie,

I just finished first ivf cycle...... I didn't hurt a bit and I'm a real baby to pain.

Me 30 / DH 36
    DX - hydro/blocked tubes ~ removed 1/05
    IVF #1 3/29 beta

KarenS-MI
    has no status.
    Board Coordinator
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angelic
    As long as you don't have any cervical issues, it's no worse than a pap smear! It's really not a big deal at all!

Good luck!

Karen
    ttc #1 for 7 1/2 years
    ~ IVF #1, 6-93, cancelled; IVF#2/rescue ICSI- 7-99, failed
    ~(switched RE's) ZIFT/ICSI- 1-00, successful w/twins, lost 1 at 8w
    ~ ZIFT/ICSI #2, to try for #2- March '03- successful
    ~ GS- IVF #1, 7-05 failed. FET 10-05- BFP, m/c 5w5d

jamie_n_g
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thank you all so much - I feel a lot better! I'll let you know how it goes!