FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 33 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    eli
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

IVF diet?

Anyone following a special diet for their cycles? I didn't do much special last time and got a BFN. I know this won't make or break the deal most likely- but I want to do everything possible to make this next one a success. I will rest longer too- like I did with my 1st one.
    Lynn

DD-9
    DS-7
    DS-born 4/25/10 (William Lukas)

2. Advertisement

mathgeek
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    How long did you rest with your ++?? Last itme I got a ++ and I rested 3 days after transfer (including transfer day since it was done early in the morning). My dr told me to eat a diet high in protein so that's what I'm going to do again! And absolutely no caffeine or alcohol! Besides that I'm not changing much else. I'm interested to see if anyone else is eating anything different- good question thanks for asking it!

Tara
    IVF/MESA/ICSI#1 10/02 BFP but had a missed m/c 12/02 no h/b 9w5d trisomy13
    IVF/ICSI #2 04/03 BFP = Ds 12/31/03
    IVF/ICSI#3 06/05- chemical; FET 09/05-BFN
    IVF/ICSI #4 01/06-BFN
    IVF/MESA/ICSI#5 04/06-BFP = Dd 01/02/07

eli
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    When do you start the high protein thingy? With my first IVF- I did cut out alcohol and caffeine- as with this one- but not really until I started stims. THis time maybe I'll do it earlier- wonder if that would help. I've heard about fresh pineapple after transfer- but never tried that. With my first I my RE told me 3 days of bedrest including the transer day. It happend that my transfer was a Wednesday- so that was Wed, Thurs, and Fri... but then there was the weekend- and it was Labor Day w/e- so I had Sat, Sun, and MOnday .... 6 days total! For this IVF My RE said resume normal activities for the most part right away. I did 2 days of modified bedrest anyhow- and got a BFN. So... next time I will do 3 days just because. Lots of water, high protein- any suggestions on that one? ANything else? Accupuncture? Exercise? I will do anything!
    Lynn

DD-9
    DS-7
    DS-born 4/25/10 (William Lukas)

Brina
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have heard high protein and lots of water, especially if you have pcos. also, when i got pg with my boys i drank a lot of nettle and red raspberry leaf tea. no alcohol or caffiene (have a harder time getting off the caffiene this time, but down to one to two cups of half decaf half regular - hmm, wonder why i am so much more tired this time?)
    Well aren't you just the most adorable black hole of need.

Brina

jenster141
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been doing no caffeine no alcohol for 3 months. I also have been doing yoga for 2 months (and off and on the past year).I even hope to do yoga during the 2ww if my RE lets me.
    For special food this week I have been getting smoothies with Vitamins added. If figure every extra vitamin has to help right?
    Haven't tried the high protein thing, but I have heard others mention it.
    I retrieve Wed, so we'll see if this regimen works.

best wishes,
    Jennifer
    IVF #2
    Jennifer
    DD 2.5 years old
    B/G twins 12/6/03

bethann
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if this really works from a medical standpoint but I truly feel it did the trick for me. I had read somewhere on the internet a couple years ago that a high protein/high fat diet helps with good egg development. We had done 5 IVF's and were told each time that my eggs were "poor quality" and to consider donor eggs. I decided it was time to try what I had read. So, on our 6th IVF, during my 10 days of stims, I consumed lots of hardboiled eggs, hamburger, steak, cashews, and peanutbutter EVERY DAY. I cut out most sugars and carbs during those 10 days - and really limited myself to just the highfat/high protein and ofcourse LOTs of water.

Well, wouldn't ya know - our 6th IVF worked and we had great quality eggs for the first time. (son is 21 mos.) We went back for child #2 and did another IVF. I did exactly like the previous time, and again had awesome quality eggs and am now 21 weeks.

So, you can see why I personally swear by it -- . Good luck!!!

Beth-Ann
    IVF #6 - DS 6/7/01 21 mos.
    IVF #7 - girl e.d.d. 8/2/03

lb
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    What have your REs said about how early to stop caffeine? For example, I'm on a rest month right now, so should I still stay off caffeine completely all month even tho we're not doing anything this month? Does it linger in your system at all and is it bad to have caffeine in the few weeks prior to TTC again?

Twins_Squared
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Lynn,

My acupuncturist recommended cutting out dairy and sugar and eating a high protein diet as the protein helps with tissue building. She also said to take a complex B vitamin in addition to the prenatals that I took. I also took L-Argnine supplements until my lead follicle reached a certain size (16ish I think?) which I was told would help w/egg quality (I did have my best quality w/that cycle, though they were few in #).

My yoga instructor recommend eating kaffa (sp?) foods or foods that were higher in fat content. She even suggested eating a teaspoon of ghee (a clarified butter that you can buy a gourmet stores) every morning, but that sounded too disgusting so I just used it in my cooking.

shoegirljen
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    this is an interesting post. I eat as naturally & organic as possible. I loosely follow Marilyn Glenville's diet, which is all organic, no caffiene/alcohol, no meat, little dairy or only organic if I do consume dairy (the hormones that are injected into the cows are said to really mess you up)...I think I am going to give the high protein thing a try, i had poor egg quality & low response last time. As a vegetarian I guess this means lots of tofu & nuts/ nut butter...last time I did the pineapple thing (BFN) so who knows! You'll notice I said I LOOSELY follow that diet! ...still having 1 cup of coffee a day & cocktails on the weekend, but plan to cut out both when cycle officially starts. I did join LA weight loss after my last failed cycle, I read allot about how even being 15-20 lbs overweight can affect fertility, and if nothing else I feel better & am healthier, I dropped about 25-30 lbs.

mo-nj
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    This will be my first time for IVF (starting Lupron- day 21 this Fri), but I am trying acupuncture. I read online about studies showing how it improved success rates. I decided to give it a try.

I started about three weeks ago and am going once a week now. I feel much better, less edgy (I was feeling very stressed and on the verge of tears a lot of the time before this). Another thing I noticed was that my sugar cravings went away (I think it's associated with a liver chi imbalance, which is what I think they work on for infertility).

Also, not to be gross, but this month, I had significantly more cervical mucus around ovulation than ever before....hoping that's an indicator of something good happening down there.

All in all, I don't know if this stuff really works, but mentally I feel better and less stressed, so I think that alone will help.

Thanks everyone for all the diet tips!
    Me 39/DH 39
    ttc 1.5 years
    Dx Tubal Factor
    IVF #1 - ds Matthew born Jan 10, 2004
    IVF #2- planned for Nov 04, but cancelled because I didn't suppress on Lupron this time. Rescheduled for Jan 05.

Page 1 of 33 1234567891011 ... LastLast