FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MCJ
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hopeful

IUI after failed IVF/ICSI

Hello Ladies! I was hoping someone out there can give me advise or tell me success stories of taking a step "backward" and trying IUI after a failed IVF/ICSI cycle. My story is in my siggie, but I have had 2 IUIs. 1st one was triggered to soon at my regular OB office. 2nd was with RE and we had great follicles, great cycle but BFN. My DH and I decided with our RE to move forward with IVF/ICSI. For my AMA, we got 12 eggs, 9 fertilized and we transeferred 2 AA and 1AB embryos. The others did not make it to freeze. We also did not have to have AH. I had a beta of 15.8 and then of course, it ended in a chemical pregnancy.

We pay totally out of pocket, but have enough stims left for an IUI cycle. RE says he is for IUI because of my fantastic results with the IVF, but he wants to do a lap to make sure there is not anything that he has not seen with ultrasounds or lab tests. We are going to do the lap in August and then decide from there if we should try the IUI or borrow money for anothe IVF.

Has anyone had success with IUI after IVF or what adivse do you have for me?

Thank you for any responses!
    Me: (41) no known IF factor other than AMA
    DH: (35 ) no issues

Furbaby: Mabel, the sweetest bulldog (4)

TTC: 1 year

1st IUI: BFN triggered too soon
    2nd IUI: BFN no known reason, great cycle
    OHSS soon after

IVF #1 around June 13 for ER and June 19 for ET

IVF #1 Beta 15.8 chemical BFN

2. Advertisement

KimAtFertilityAuthority
    has no status.
    Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow
    I think it could be worth a shot considering you have enough stims to get through the cycle. Does your clinic do ICSI standard (from the looks of your sig, your DH doesn't have MFI?) If that is the case, I'd try it. Your body might surprise you especially given that it [I]just responded so well for IVF and is primed to go. Looks like your fert report was pretty good too, so IM (non-expert)O go for it.

Good luck!

MCJ
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hopeful
    Thank you! DH has a fantastic report. My clinic does ICSI standard and the
    y were going to do laser assisted hatchling for us at no additional fee but ours hatched on their own. We decided to do the exploratory lap first. I hope my body will still be ready then. Thank you again!

OHSS soon after

Likes KimAtFertilityAuthority liked this post

WhitneyAtFertilityAuthority
    reaching out

Post Thanks / Like
    MCJ; I agree with Kim, go for the IUI, especially because your DH has good swimmers. Here's to hoping the lap finds nothing to worry about and it will be all systems go!! Good luck to you.
    Likes KimAtFertilityAuthority liked this post

MCJ
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hopeful
    Thanks! It will be a good time to get back mentally as well. I appreciate your input during this hard time.

OHSS soon after

JKW1970
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I would try the IUI one time before borrowing the money for the IVF.

Hyperiongp
    at work hoping for the day to end quickly
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hopeful
    MCJ - I did things backwards. I did IVF in 2008 and was successful. Two years later I did IUI's primarily for financial reasons. It took a couple IUI's but I got a set of twins from IUI at 38 (almost 39). I am back at it again to try for one last baby, just doing IUI's. My husband doesn't have any sperm issues, mine was unexplained infertility. Have you had a hysteroscopy. That is a simple in office procedure that is not really that invasive and they can look right inside your uterus to make sure it is normal, no polys, adhesions, fibroids etc...Why a lap...hysteroscopy takes 15 minutes and there is no cutting involved? Your eggs fertalize, I think the reason all 3 didn't stick has more to do with poor timing, hormones off, lining not right.... If your hormonal lab values are normal, FSH and AMH then I would say poor timing. As for your IUI's the first was timed wrong so only the second one really counts. I would be hesitant to allow them to cut into me with out a really good reason first. If they do a lap into your abdomin what are they looking for endometrioses? There isn't much else to look at. There is not need for them to puncture your uterus to look inside, they can go in vaginally and look. Honest, just with the information here, your egg quality seems fine, to have 2AA blasts that hatch on their own, then all you need to know is that your uterus cavity is normal and you may want them to flush some saline through your tubes to make sure they are open for the purpose of IUI. Otherwise you have not indicated a need for lap. This is my opinion, but I really encourage you to really think about it and ask your doctor. He/she may have a compelling reason for a lap, but i don't see it in the information you have provided.
    [LEFT]Me 41 hx uterine adhesions/dermoid tumors
    DH 41 - perfect
    2007/08 - Surgery to correct polyps, adhesions and tumors
    2008 - IVF, 12 retrieved, 11 fertilized, 4 5 day blasts, 2 transferred, 2 took
    2009 - FET 2 blasts Chemical
    2009-2010 - 4 medicated IUI's, last one worked, twins
    2012 - 4 IUI's all BFN
    2013 - March IVF Antogonist protocol, BFP
    Twins EDD 11/22/2013

MCJ
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hopeful
    Hyperiongp, Thank you for your thoughts and sharing your history of infertility. We are like you in that financially right now we will move forwrd with the IUI. My RE did an SIS with the saline and thinks my tubes are clear. I am allergic to the IVP dye (for radiation scans). I actually had an anaphyllactic reaction and ended up in cardiac intensive care (thought I had kidney stones, but it was my appendix). He chose not to do the dye test, but the lap to recheck the tubes and is looking to make sure I don't have endemetrioses. My sister had a similar experience with her IUI: nothing showed up on tests, but during the lap they found alot of endemetrioses and a month later her son was born. While under sedation, he will also relook at my uterus via hysteroscopy. We have had a very long discussion with our RE and he says it really is our choice. My DH and I want to make sure there isn't anything going undetected and the procedure is non-invasive and the only punctures will be in my tummy where I had my appendix removed. We feel like before we continue with spending more money, we will know all bases have been covered.

Please keep me posted on your IUI! Are you on another board I can follow to see how you are doing? I would love to be so lucky and have twins with my next IUI. I am hopeful for one of my treatments to be successful because we have had such great reactions to the meds and my eggs looked great and DH has great swimmers. I think you are right about it being the right timing. Did you have a set of twins also with IVF? I wasn't sure from your siggie.

Thank you again!

OHSS soon after

phat95m3
    has his fingers and toes crossed
    Post Thanks / Like
    MCJ, as you can see in my sig, we did 4 iui's, then ivf/icsi (1 egg), all failures so far. we took last month off, and just did IUI #5 this past weekend.

hoping its a success story, have to wait and see...
    Me-35 (low count) Blueberry-44 (high fsh, 3 kids)
    TTC - summer 2011
    IUI #1 Jan 2012 = BFN
    IUI #2 Feb 2012 = BFN
    IUI #3 Mar 2012 = BFN
    IUI #4 Apr 2012 = BFN
    May 2012 = IVF w/ ICSI = Expensive BFN
    IUI #5 July 2012 = ?

MCJ
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hopeful
    Phat, I was with you on another thread...I'm so sorry you had a BFN with your IVF too. it's so heartbreaking and stressful. I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed fory ya'll this IUI cycle! Keep me posted! Best wishes for you!

OHSS soon after

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast