FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

jmp43
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

How fast do follicles grow?

I had my ultrasound today and one follicle went from 14mm to 19mm and another follicle went from 11mm to 15mm all in just 24 hours. I thought follicles grew 2mm per day. My E2 was 727 so that would indicate I have 2 mature follicles...right? Has anyone had their follicles grow this fast in a 24 hour time frame? I was just a little surprised that I will be triggering tonight.

2. Advertisement

luvmyarmyman
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was told they can grow 1-3mm a day

jmp43
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! We had our IUI today and the nurse said that the measurements changes so much because the follicles were probably squeezed together and harder to measure on the first ultrasound. We had 2 eggs ready to ovulate today. So the 2ww begins!

MommaWannaBe
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    jmp,

i'm glad you brought up this question because i was going to ask the same thing... except that my case was the opposite. i went in for U/S on tuesday and RE said i had a 13 and 14 - and was told to go back the next day. when i went back on wednesday - they were the same size. so i was surprised that they didn't grow at all. anybody have any suggestions?

good luck to you jmp! hope your 2ww flies by!
    deena

jmp43
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    summerwind and deena~ Good luck to the both of you! Where are you at in your cycle. I am 5piui. If this doesn't work we will move onto IVF.

MommaWannaBe
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    hi jmp,

i actually had my IUI this morning! i'm really not sure if it was a good one though. as i was getting ready i thought i dropped my wedding ring in the bathroom sink and it happened right before DH was doing his sample, so his count was 13 mil (post wash). i know its not a terrible number, but last 2 times was 17.5 and 41.5 - so this was the lowest we've had! so now we wait... but i did find my ring! thank God!

how many IUI have you had done? this was my 3rd (1st with clomid and 2 with injectables - follistim) what about you - what meds were you on this cycle?

deena

jmp43
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    What a crazy morning you had. Good thing you found your ring. My clinic says anything above 5 million (post wash) is acceptable and anything above 10 million is good! So you DH sample was fine! I've heard a few woman say on this board that they cycle that was the least optimal of the three was the one that they got a BFP on.

This was our 3rd IUI on 75IU of follistim. It took us 6 months to get in all three IUI's because I developed cysts each time from the follistim and had to take a cycle off. My last cycle I was at high risk for triplets and still had a BFN. This cycle I was not nearly as over stimulated as the other two cycles so maybe this will be the one. We skipped the clomid and IUI because we wanted to be more aggressive. We have been ttc for 12 months now and since I turned 35 in June I wanted to get moving on things. If this cycle does not work we will try 2 maybe 3 IVF cycles. Our insurance covers only bloodwork and ultrasounds so with meds we are looking at $10,000 per cycle. I still can't get over the fact that insurance companies are aloud to get away without having to pay for infertility procedures.

I take it you will do one more IUI with follistim if this one does not work....but it will.....think positive. Are IF treatments covered in your state? Good luck with your tww! I find the first week goes by fast. The second week is the one that drags.

MommaWannaBe
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    well, thanks for the encouragement. i feel better just by knowing what you've shared. DH and i will do one more IUI if this one doesn't work. DH says his gut feeling is telling him that IUI#4 will be our BFP, even though he hopes he's wrong and that #3 will be the one! either way, i just want to get my first BFP. we've been TTC for 2.5 years! and if it wasn't for the women on this site, i would be lost.

luckily, our insurance does cover pretty much everything. each time we go we pay a $5 co-pay and the meds co-pay is $25 for each med. so i've never complained and feel really lucky. our insurance even covers 4 cycles of IVF, so our plan is (if this cycle is BFN) to do one more IUI with injections and then to move on to IVF.

it would be nice if all insurance companies would cover treatment for IF. it's hard enough to deal with IF, it would be so much easier if you didn't have to deal with the financial part of it too.

as far as the 2ww, it goes by pretty quick for me cuz i actually just started a new job and i've been so busy and preoccupied with that. but it's also a lot of stress that i hope doesn't affect me too much.

well, good luck to you this cycle - i hope that this is our month!