FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    fetch
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Natural LH Surge: How long does one surge for?

When your b/w shows a natural LH surge, how long does the surge last?

According to the clinic, my b/w showed I was naturally surging (no HCG trigger), March 1st. Morning of March 2nd, I had an IUI.

Before that IUI as well as the following day I had ultrasounds done. It appeared like my follicles were still growing and since there were so many, they couldn't tell if I o'd any of them yet. I truly believe I did not ovulate any until night of March 2nd or even March 3rd.

So, my question is, how early can your b/w show a natural LH surge before you actually do ovulate?
    Is it usually a guaranteed window, (ie. 6 to 20hrs later)??

Thanks so much!

2. hadouni
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    The first time I used the OPKs to monitor LH I had a positive read in the evening of CD 16. I'd had some VERY faint lines come up earlier in the month (I started testing on CD9) but nothing clearly + until CD 16. There was no trace the following morning or evening.

The second and third times I used OPKs, I had positive reads in the evening on CD 16 and CD 14, followed by positive reads the mornings after (CD 17 & 15 respectively). I made sure to go to the bathroom and test on the second bathroom visit of the day so I wasn't just testing build up from the night before when I had the positive.

For my first IUI, I had it in the afternoon (3:45 I think) the day following the OPK+. That one didn't take. I wished (after the fact) that I'd waited for first thing in the morning the following day.

For my second IUI, I had it at about 9:45am the second morning after OPK+ (the timing I wished I had for the first IUI). So, OPK+ evening CD 14 and IUI 9:45am CD 16. I had an inconclusive ultrasound on CD 15 (no large follicles in my right ovary and couldn't find my left ovary without killing me) so they didn't really want to do the IUI. I decided- after agonizing about it all night- to go for it and... BFP!

I'll also throw in that my BBT didn't spike up until the second morning after each of my IUIs.

Good luck!!
    Tammy

Bexx
    Nothing tastes as good as thin feels, I have to keep telling myself this!
    BC-SAHM & Parenting One Child

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Mellow
    I'm so glad I found this post. I have been agonizing over whether or not my RE's office does the IUI's too late. I think I might actually post a question to see how many people have their IUI the day ofter their positive OPK or two days after. My RE wants to always do them 2 days after and I have been so worried that this is at least 12 hours too late. They are pretty adamant that 48 hours after the +OPK is the best way to go and they rarely sway from that per the nurses. This has given me many sleepless nights.

The last three months my dominant follicle has been on my blocked side so I haven't been able to have an IUI in awhile. As a matter of fact I have only been able to have one and I want to make sure that when I do get to have my next one that it is timed correctly.

fetch
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, what you're saying is that having my IUI the morning after I got the bloodwork LH surge was way too early?
    I feel it was and having two ultrasounds to show unreleased follies also had me questioning the on-call RE. I was actually crying when I met w/ him about 3hrs before the IUI because I was so sure the timing wasn't right and he was so sure it would be fine.

I'm only 8dpiui, but I know I didn't ovulate until a day, two or even longer after my IUI... meaning it was completely off. I don't do OPK's, I just go by blood work, u/s and temping and I'm so convinced.

hadouni
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi fetch-

I'm not an Ob or RE so I'm no one to question anyone's Dr! I had the two IUIs and the one I had about 20 hours after a OPK+ didn't take but the one about 40 hours after an OPK+ did take. Those are just my results though. I'm a little older too.

Everything that I've read indicates the start of the LH surge is much like a trigger shot in that most women will ovulate 36-40 hours after the LH surge begins. My Ob said they like to do IUIs the afternoon following or early the second morning following an OPK+. They have women do the OPK tests in the evening.

I'm using frozen sperm which have a MUCH shorter life expectancy than fresh. If you're using fresh sperm you've got a much larger window of opportunity.

Don't get discouraged!! There is so much information out there that it's hard not to question everything anyone (including your Dr. sometimes) says to you.

fetch
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

child ment

I'm using frozen donor sperm, so I relate and understand that the life span is shorter than fresh.

Last summer I had a natural surge and then got the HCG trigger.
    My single IUI was 24hrs later and it was a BFP. I guess every month can be different than the next. I'm so dissapointed that timing has to play such a huge role even though I do daily b/w and u/s from cd2 until the IUI. I just can't understand why it can't be more accurate.
    I'm on my 10th over-all IUI, (8th this year), so I'm really down in the dumps wondering why it just won't take.
    Our donor sperm is also running low, so if it doesn't happen soon, we're out of luck forever, (my 2.5yr old is from this donor).

Ruby711
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    My doc says you'll usually ovulate 24-36hrs after +OPK and 36-40hrs after trigger, so they do my IUI day after I get + OPK. I wish they did an u/s to confirm though. If I were to use a trigger, they would do one the day after and another the day after that. I've read that some docs like to do it after you ovulate, so that the egg is waiting on the sperm instead of the other way around. GL

fetch
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Question E2 and OHSS

Thanks for that info Ruby. I didn't know the trigger took longer to work than a natural surge. Good to know!

On a slightly different note, my OHSS has flaired up again after 2 days of feeling a bit better. I didn't sleep last night w/ so much pain in my left side. I'm 9dpiui.
    Called the clinic and they are just having me monitor my fluids and weight for now and if I go down hill, I'll have an u/s tomorrow. She did mentioned that my E2 on my natural surge day, (day before IUI) was 7200!
    I'm peaved that it was that high, but yet no one there told me that I might expect this to happen or to even follow-up w/ me. Isn't this E2 level ridiculously high?

Anyone else have OHSS and if so, what was your E2 day before your IUI?
    Last edited by fetch; 03-11-2008 at 09:13 AM. Reason: OHSS

Ruby711
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    wow! how many follies did u have. I think it's about 200 per mature follie....I hope you feel better. I think I had mild ohss, and boy was it uncomfortable, I can only imagine what u must be feeling...GL

fetch
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby711
    wow! how many follies did u have. I think it's about 200 per mature follie....I hope you feel better. I think I had mild ohss, and boy was it uncomfortable, I can only imagine what u must be feeling...GL
    ya, I know. tell me about it. ugh.
    I don't know for sure how many follicles I had as I didn't have a chance to count them all on the chart before they took it away, but there were approx x20 the day after the IUI.
    I know there were some smaller ones, but at least 4, 5, or 6+ that were 18-21mm. The rest were 10 to 17mm each.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast