FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    KK1
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

IUI Do's and Don'ts

I am probably going to get chastised for asking this question but...
    I am going to a wedding friday night. I think i will be having my IUI on Weds, maybe Thurs. (2nd IUI, 1st BFN). Can a have one or two glasses of wine at the wedding. I know the clinical answer is probably no! But I have been trying to get PG after a m/c last Oct. i have eating right, drinking tea, giving up smoking, an drinking and still nothin. Both myself and DH have been tested and have no probs (unexplained infertility). I am wondering if relaxing and having a wine might actually help. I just feel like I have given up everything and just keep getting BFNs. The first time I got pg I was trying NOT to!
    Any thoughts?
    me-39
    dh-37

2. Advertisement

snows
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I certainly think it's fine. I really don't believe that a glass or two of wine will hurt in implanting, and I think it's impossible that it could do a fertilized egg any damage at that point. After two years of ttc when I lived like a Puritan, I've decided that a glass of wine with dinner during the 2ww is fine, and I wouldn't have a problem indulging beyond that now and again. Obviously heavy drinking is a no-no, but I think the dangers of alcohol have been somewhat overstressed...I've heard a lot of people say that it was the month they "did everything wrong" that they got their BFP. Of course, I don't really think that the answer is doing everything wrong, either...anyway...just my opinion (obviously)...

fetch
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it's perfectly fine.
    Not only did my RE recently tell me to relax w/ a glass of wine, but think of all those ppl who get pg after a night out drinking... not that I'm saying this is the same situation of course... but I think it's perfectly fine.

In my personal opinion, it's probably safer to have that wine than to "cut-it-up" all night on the dance floor a day after the IUI.

I know what you mean about giving up everything, hoping to get pg.
    I'm afraid to exercise anymore -- especially during the 2ww. I've been gaining weight, so that on top of all these BFN is a downer. Might as well add a glass of red wine. heh heh.

KK1
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your opinion… I really do think the key to a lot of this is to relax and live life (without getting excessive on things that are unhealthy). Getting too caught up in the process and obsessing over everything just makes me upset when I get a BFN because I feel like I am wasting valuable life!! I think a little baby emby wants to grow in a happy mommy not implant in a stressed out body! During my first PG. I was had just divorced my ex and not trying at all but happy and crazy in love with my new Fiancée (who I refer to as DH, easier)—we were doing lots of late nights out, party’s etc ( you know that crazy fun stage of a relationship).and I got pg – I couldn’t believe it cause in my first marriage I ttc for ever and never got pg even with invitro—So I thought I could not get pregnant. After my mc I thought it would e just as easy again…nope!! I think it’s cause I’m trying so hard. Still I’m 39 so docs say IUI is the way to go. So here I sit!
    Snows have you done lots of IUI’s ? How old are you?

KK1
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fetch-- Does your RE say not to exercise? Can that effect IUI? I have only done one a my Re says "business as usual" not like I exercise now but I think i need to start. Going through this stuff causes me to eat lots of comfort foods and i'm getting a big butt!!

fetch
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KK1
    Fetch-- Does your RE say not to exercise? Can that effect IUI? I have only done one a my Re says "business as usual" not like I exercise now but I think i need to start. Going through this stuff causes me to eat lots of comfort foods and i'm getting a big butt!!
    I don't think my RE's told me not to exercise, but told me to "take it easy", not over exert myself or get too hot during the 2ww.
    I'm paranoid, so I just don't exercise.

Wait, actually, I do remember my first meeting w/ my new RE in May and she told me to cut back on the exercise and doing extra curricular stuff that stresses me out, (I do p/t freelancing on top of my f/t job).

Basically, for me. I try to do as little of nothing as possible during 2ww.
    Very hard to do, but I try.
    In August there was a heat wave and stupid me went to an amusement park all day a day or two after my IUI. dumb. I over heated myself. That was a BFN.

Last month I got sick w/ a fever, flu and then cold. BFN there too.

I'm hoping for this month the weather doesn't mess me up and I'm healthy for goodness sakes.

lorelei
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I tend to get OHSS so that really limits me on activity as it is. When I do cycles without meds I try to take it easy, too, but I am more active. I've been told no running or exercise where you're exerting a lot or bouncing, at least for a few days. Moderate exercise should be fine.

snows
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, KK1. No, this is my first IUI. I'm 34 & we've been trying for about two years. I really wanted to get started on treatment earlier, but we moved and had insurance issues, bleah.

fetch
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now that I'm officially starting my 2ww for this month, I wondered what most of you do in terms of how long you rested after your IUI and whether you propped your legs up, slept or if you went on about life as usual.

Normally I try to take it easy, but as each cycle passes, I get more and more restless just sitting around when nothing has come of it this year yet.

I've also been cursed w/ another darn cold. I had a very bad cold, then flu and fever last month, so I'm praying this cold gets better soon and doesn't affect my chances of getting pg.

What are you ladies doing during your 2ww?

Hoping4#3
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Children mentioned

Fetch-
    After my first IUI I went shopping. I'm not sure that was smart thing to do right after, since it resulted in a BFN. After my second iui I spent the day sitting or lying in bed, then was pretty low key for the next few days. I got a BFN that cycle too! I think "business as usual" is the way to go. If your body is used to doing something, go ahead and do it!

I got pg. for my first son right before a weekend in Savannah, GA for a bachelorette party and St. Patrick's day. The egg didn't have any problem implanting while I was dancing and drinking all weekend! I'm not saying that is the optimum condition, but it didn't hurt anything. With my second son, I was a nanny, so I spent my time playing with 2 one year olds. I certainly didn't just sit around!

Good luck with your 2ww!!! Keep us posted!
    Last edited by Hoping4#3; 10-28-2007 at 08:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast