FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RyansHope
    My chickie's closing in on TWO!!
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Tired

Hyperstimulation after IUI?

Hi,
    We did our 4th IUI on Wed 10/3. Used Follistima and Noveral trigger.
    Before IUI, wasnt feeling much of anything, little full. After IUI I was feeling bloaty, but thats normal.
    Thurs, Fri, Sat still feeling full but more than before. Sun and Mon feeling very bloated and uncomfortable. If I were to bend over to get something, I would not feel pain but feel something, like tenderness.

Last night (Mon) I was so bloated and my skin around my belly was so taunt, felt like a pin would make it pop.

Finally called RE this morning. Nurse said it seems like I am having a bit of hyperstimulation. Said my ovaries and everything are just in a charged mode.
    Push lots of fluids. Said Gatorade is actually better than water because of the electrolytes. Also just to monitor it and if I had any shortness of breath, def call back or if I started having pain.

I didnt think this would happen AFTER the IUI.

Has anyone had this happen after the IUI?
    Do you think its a bad sign for a BFP?

2. Advertisement

poohbear
    tired
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've had it happen a few times, no fun. If you get pg. it could get worse for a while so be prepared. There really isn't anything you can do unless it get severe like the shortness of breath. I routinely now use gatorade after my IUI because it just seems to help with the bloating. I would definitely not do exercise or strenuous lifting. Do you know what your E2 level was and how many follies? Hope you feel better soon!
    Stacey

RyansHope
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Tired
    Last Mon morning my e-level was 982. I had 1- 17mm, 4-16mm, 4-14mm. I triggered that night.

I normally only drink Gatorade. But I know I dont drink as much fluids as I should. I've been trying to chug today. lol

So having this now wont affect the outcome of the BFN/BFP?

poohbear
    tired
    Post Thanks / Like
    Melissa,
    That stinks I know. I've had OHSS 9 years ago and I've had some mild issues recently. I had 5-6 mature and my E2 was close to 1500. OHSS won't affect the outcome but if you get pg. it won't resolve quickly either. I had it until 16 weeks into my pg. Are you on progesterone too? Basically you are looking 5 mature follies and possibly a couple more if those 14's grew then no wonder your ovaries aren't very happy right now! Hang in there!
    Stacey.

RyansHope
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thank you!!!

yes progesterone too. I didnt think of it that way with the mature follies. It was just weird because this was IUI#4 and its the first time I've felt this way.

IUI#1, I triggered with follies much bigger at 21mm and 23mm (and managed a BFP but m/c week later.)
    Well like the RE likes to say its different every time.

Thank you again for your advice! Much appreciated. Especially hearing it wont affect the outcome.

poohbear
    tired
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your welcome!
    I'm sorry about your m/c. I had one in July. This entire IF ride is one big crap shoot. I hope you get your BFP and it sticks this time!
    Stacey

gatorsteph
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

BFP ment'd

As bad as you are feeling this sounds like a mild case of OHSS (I don't mean to minimize it at all). It absolutely won't interfere with the outcome. Infact some women seem to think a little OHSS helps w/ a BFP (although noone really wants OHSS). My DP had some mild OHSS with one IUI cycle as well. She also got more severe OHSS with IVF, especially this last IVF with E2 levels above 6600 (they got 47 eggs at ER) and she got her BFP this cycle! One thing to note is that if this is OHSS, if you do get pg, it could get worse before it gets better (due to HCG production). Good luck!

RyansHope
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thanks I think you kind of answered the question I was just going to post.

My belly is starting to feel much better. Still there but nothing like the last few days. I cnt bend over now without thinking I'm going to pop.
    I drank one of those huge bottles of Gatorade yesterday. (The big bottles that have the handle on them)
    I dont know if the excessive drinking helped or it just started to die down in there. Either way, I'm thankful.

My question was going to be about the outcome BFP/BFN.
    Hopefully them calming down doesnt mean they stopped working in there.

So if I wake up in the next few days and feel nothing, thats ok too? Like that has no affect on the outcome since I suddenly stopped feeling them?

I think I'm overthinking this.
    Just let the hyperstim turn out to be a 'good' sign for me, like they are working overtime to give me what I so very very very want- a BFP!

Thanks again!

lorelei
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I get OHSS every time I stim. It sucks. I have found that resting a lot, especially the first few days after the IUI really helps. Drink lots of fluids, but mix water with your Gatorade - all Gatorade and no water can be harmful for your health.

The funny thing is, with all the warnings I got at my clinic about OHSS, two of the REs said that it is actually ideal to stimulate to that level. They seem to believe that it bodes well for better success. It hasn't helped me, yet.

RyansHope
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Tired
    Nope didnt work for me this time either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast