FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tia38
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

2ww -- do's+don'ts? (iui different from ivf?)

I've done one IUI and am currently gearing up for my second. To help pass the time (and because I see it in my future) I've been reading up on IVF.

I'm surprised to find a whole list of DOs and DON'Ts for IVFers in the 2ww, but very little on it for IUIers. And more importantly, why is it so different for IVFers? Okay -- they take many more meds leading upto the 2ww, and they usually have many more follies.... but if if something is good (or bad) during an IVF 2ww, why wouldn't the same hold true for IUI (or plain old natural TTC)?

So, please share you do's and don't for the 2ww, and whether the info was specific to a particular treatment (IUI vs IVF vs other).

I'm looking for info on anything that's relevant during the 2ww:
    - do you take progesterone? PIO? supps? oral? cream?
    - do you take other meds?
    - what meds do you avoid (i.e., no ibuprofin)
    - activity levels?
    - sex?
    - keeping body temp down (not elevante) -- no hot baths, hot tubs, etc
    - foods to eat or avoid?
    - other

You get the idea.

I'm shocked to find some clinics give written, detailed instructions while others say "call us if no AF and we'll do a beta" with no details on what to do (or not do) while waiting.

Sorry this post is also a mini-vent. :-) But I am looking for info.

Cheers,
    -Tia
    Last edited by Tia38; 04-12-2006 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Fixed typo in title.

2. Advertisement

Tia38
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Following up... about the only info I get is to "take it easy" the rest of the day after the procedure, no alcohol and limit caffeine. When I asked about cramping they told me no ibuprofin during 2ww. If I hadn't asked I wouldn't have known!

-tia

Hopeful33
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Same here Tia, I have been given no restictins or guidelines with IUI. I wish I had some Idea

Climbinchic
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    The last couple of times I've gone for IUIs I have gotten bolder and more persistent/insistent about asking questions. I did get out of them that the whole "lying there for 15 minutes after" is a psychological thing for the patients - they don't feel like they should just get up and leave after having the procedure.

The only thing they consistently tell me is not to get your core temps up - no heavy exercise (i.e. marathon running), hot tubs/saunas (regular baths are OK as long as they're not too hot) no sunbathing, etc and no ibuprofen since that raises your core temp.

No restrictions on sexual activity, execise food, etc.

Personally - on the first 3 tries, I was uber careful about everything, heat, food and drink, medication of any sort - even falling down. By the last round, I didn't bother, I did everything I would normally do but somethings in more moderation. Until the embryo is securely implanted (and even a few days - week after that) its not absorbing anything from you - so you're not risking much.

I am quite careful about the heat, since we use donor sperm and its not as resiliant as the fresh stuff. Want it to live as long as possible.

Oh, and I had one IUI nurse tell me to try to keep the stress levels down.....I almost slapped her.....do you think I'm stressed?
    Last edited by Climbinchic; 04-12-2006 at 11:10 AM. Reason: got my mords wixed

Hopeful33
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Climbin, I am in the same boat with donor sperm, and resilience, luckily, I have bad knees, so marathon running i sn't for me, Brisk walks are it. I have heard the same thing about the laying down, in fact, I was told that the sperm can overswim especially if you are inseminated before you O. Boy, that made my day. So, I lay there, becasue it does help me relax, and I coach the swimmers to hit their mark.

HollyB
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Tia,

How are you doing?? This is such a great topic and important question! Thank you for asking it...

I actually saw my RE yesterday and asked him some of these questions, especially since I'm headed on vacation and wanted to specifically know some do's and don'ts. When I asked him about sex and orgasm, he said that they do tell IVFers not to indulge from the transfer until the beta, but that there is no research to back it up! He said that because of all the work that goes into IVF, they just don't want to take any chances. But, he also said that we had no restrictions after IUI and not to worry about it at all, and that if orgasm contractions could shake loose an embryo, none of us would be here!

I also asked him about massage, which I was planning on having during vacation, and he said that a regular massage was fine, but not to have a deep muscle massage. I've definitely heard to avoid raising your body temperature, and to treat the use of all medications, food, etc as if you were already pg. My RE does put me on crinone gel suppositories.

I'd be really interested to hear what else people have been told and other guidelines people follow in the 2ww.

Baby dust everyone!
    Holly

me: 41 dh: 43.
    DS#1 2003 (IUI).
    DS#2 2007 (IVF) and twin.
    DS#3 10/09 (IVF).

Cali
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Busy
    My IF clinic gives their patients a "Patient Guide to a FSH with IUI" instruction sheet. It explains how you need to have your meds ordered beforehand, when the baseline u/s will be and what they are looking for & measuring. It explains how you should take inj the same time everyday. It tells you to expect to be in again on the 4th, 6th, 8th and 10th days for u/s and b/w. It explains the HCG trigger shot & how they also tell you to take OPK's just in case you should surge on your own before they tell you to trigger.

Okay, after the IUI - they tell you to take Tylenol for cramps but nothing else. Interestingly enough, as detailed as the sheet is about the entire cycle, it says only "you may resume normal activity following the insemination" for instructions AFTER the IUI. There's actually nothing that says "only take Tylenol during your 2ww." Nothing about no hot baths, etc. So I actually have done pretty much what I always do.

Patients who do a FSH/IUI cycle do take prog supp's after the IUI to help a fertilized egg to implant and we're are instructed to come in for a Beta test 12 days following ov. After a failed IUI, we have a follow-up consult with the RE to discuss the previous cycle and what she recommeds next.

Hope this helps and thanks for posting this. Very interesting to read everyone's repsonse!
    Cali

Tia38
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks ladies! Good info all around. I know IVF has more time and $$$ invested, but while we're doing IUI I think all of us want to give it our best shot. I wonder if the differences have to do with the embie, or with the ovaries? I suspsect some of the items for IVF may be to help your ovaries get back to normal too?

Most of the don'ts fall under common sense (well, some of them. LOL). So sad to hear no marathons for any of us. I think the whole IF and TTC thing has been enough of a marathon?

Cali -- I have clinic envy. Details about the process in the cycle AND a follow up with a live person? AND only 12 days to your beta!

Climbinchic -- I think I would have broke out laughing about the stress levels comment. How could a medical professional be so clueless?

Let's see if we get any more nibbles....

-Tia

Cali
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Busy
    Tia - One of the things I really dislike about this clinic is that I see a different nurse just about every time I go. And the only time I see the RE is at a follow-up consult. There is no one person fully invested in my case so I feel like i'm not as "taken care of" as some on this board who get to visit with their RE at every visit.

Tia38
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cali
    Tia - One of the things I really dislike about this clinic is that I see a different nurse just about every time I go. And the only time I see the RE is at a follow-up consult. There is no one person fully invested in my case so I feel like i'm not as "taken care of" as some on this board who get to visit with their RE at every visit.
    There are people who see their (own/one) RE at every visit! Wow!

In my clinic the REs rotate thru morning duty... and often for daily follow ups too. When I call I get an RN. Actually, I get her voice mail. I have never even met this woman in person! There was one poor fellow, an intern I believe, not a named member of the practice, who is there most mornings. I like him a lot and feel like we have some continuity. But I don't get him every time.

As for no one person being fully vested in your case..... that has to be you! Be your own best advocate. Ask questions and don't let things fall in the cracks.

I think most clinics do a generally good job, but they are often following a script of sorts. It's up to each of us to make sure we get the attention to detail that we deserve!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast