FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

Sidney
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Gonal-F side effects

Hi all, I'm on my first IUI cycle and trying to figure out what's normal. Anyone done Gonal-F with HCG trigger?

This was my second night of the Gonal-F injection. I'm feeling really lousy, and have felt bad since a few hours after the first injection. Nausea, headache, dizziness, bloating, tired, and a bit anxious...the nausea is the worst of it. Is this much of a reaction normal? Also, is it dose-related? Will I feel even worse if the dose needs to be raised?

How about the HCG trigger shot (Ovidrel)? How will I feel after that? Any side effects specific to it? Will I feel better after the IUI, since I'll have stopped this *%!(*& Gonal-F?

Thanks for any information you can share...so far this is very un-fun , I'm feeling overwhelmed at the idea of doing this 10 days, it's like bad morning sickness without the benefit of being pregnant!!

2. Advertisement

bluerug23
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Sidney,

Welcome to the board.
    i had a lot of questions about gonal-f when I first started, also.

I'm at the end of my second cycle using the Gonal-F Pen and Ovidrel injection.
    The second cycle has been better than the first.
    The first cycle, by the fifth day of the gonal-f injections I was very bloated, very tender in my abdomen, and was having pain in my ovaries, the right one being the worst. I asked the dr about it and he said that it was normal - that it was because I was responding to the drugs so well and my ovaries were hyper stimulated. The ovidrel injection made it WORSE. I had to walk around very carefully; every step hurt. Once the ovidrel injection was out of my system (@ 10 days) I started feeling much better... even back to normal. I didn't have much of a problem with nausea or dizziness. I did have to take it easy for about 2 weeks - I rested a lot. I did find at the end of the cycle/start of cycle 2 that I had a cyst on the right side.

The second cycle was similar but not nearly as painful; it was a lot more bearable.
    Unfortunately, the first cycle didn't work for me and I'm almost sure this one didn't either.
    I would suggest calling your RE and talking with them about the side effects you're having.
    What dosage are you on?
    i was on 150 IU.

xxDarlenexx
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Sydney-

I took Gonal-F 300iu for 6 nights, then the Ovidrel. I was very sensitive emotionally right away. I cried over the dumbest things. I was definately bloated, but no nausea.

Like the Clomid, the Gonal-F made me very sleepy.

Cramping constantly especially on my right side.
    You are going to go for regular U/S to monitor those follies, right?
    By the time you get the Ovidrel you know you are ready for ovulation...I felt bloated and a weird pressure/fullness.

Good Luck to you! I'm sending Baby Dust!

Dar

Sidney
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much for your replies! Helps to know somebody else has done this....

I'm taking 150 IU per night for now, might be adjusted after the U/S and bloodwork monitoring. I chickened out and did only 75 the first night - I often react strongly to medications, so I couldn't bring myself to inject the full dose the first time.

Talked to the nurse today and she said usually people don't have so much nausea - that maybe my estrogen is too high - they'll check tomorrow morning when I have my first monitoring. I swear it's not my imagination...I'm burping up a storm and can barely eat....

I'm really sleepy and my head feels weird - pressure/headache feeling. I feel really emotionally unstable, like PMS x 10 maybe?

Luckily so far the bloating is minor and I've had only a few tiny ovary pain twitches.

If I can just get through another 5-6 days.....!

xxDarlenexx
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot to ask...are you using the pen? It's great- nothing to mix..ya just turn the end and inject.

Good Luck Sidney!

Darlene

Sidney
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by xxDarlenexx
    I forgot to ask...are you using the pen? It's great- nothing to mix..ya just turn the end and inject.

Good Luck Sidney!

Darlene
    Yep, I have a 900 IU pen. It's pretty cool! It seemed complicated until I did it once, it's really easy, isn't it?

Thanks!

Sidney