FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

Nan75
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Progesterone Question

This is my first IUI cycle and my first cycle on progesterone supplements (post-IUI). Now that I'm approaching my test date - Wednesday - I'm trying to read into signs (which I shouldn't do). USually by now, I'd have pre -AF cramps, but I'm wondering if I'm on the progesterone, will I not have my AF cramps (if i'm not pg) until I stop taking the progesterone?

Also, if not pg, how long after stopping progesterone does it take for your period to start? Do some people get their period on the progesterone supplements?

Thanks so much...sorry for the ignorance - its my first time!

Nan

2. Advertisement

Hope2005
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I was on progesterone I had AF cramps worse than I ever got with my regular periods. I got my period 2 days after I stopped the progesterone. Hope this helps. Good luck!

bluerug23
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Nan,
    You are not alone. This is my first IUI cycle and I have the very same questions... Does the progesterone delay AF or does AF come as normal? I am glad the first cycle is almost over so at least I now know what to expect... Yet I'm anxious to go get the result on Friday. It's hard to imagine the possibility of getting a + after seeing AF come so regularly over the past 2 years. What time do you go in on Wed?

Nan75
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Hope. Did you get the cramps before or after you stopped the progesterone?

Hi Julia,
    I guess we're in this together. I go in Weds morning and hear sometime Weds afternoon/evening. I agree - after so many BFN's, its hard to imagine a positive response. I'm having a hard time being hopeful. But, that is the case of so many here and so many have got their BFPS, so I guess it does work sometime, right?!? Otherwise, why would we put ourselves through this? I guess there is hope deep down there somewhere.

This is going to be the longest couple of days......

Hope2005
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nan, I got the cramps while on the progesterone. The progesterone is supposed to delay AF but some women have said they still got it. I don't think that's common though.

Hang in there girls, your wait is almost over. I will hope and pray for ++++++ results for you both.

bluerug23
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Nan,

It's good to have someone to talk to. So by Wed am you will know either way. I am hoping and praying for a +++ For you You will have to let me know. Today the mental battle has been ROUGH for me.... I haven't been able to concentrate much on work at all. I feel myself drawn back to the boards time and again to see how everyone else is doing Tues, Wed, and Thurs should be busy enough days for me that I can keep my mind from "obsessing" about it...

You are right, there are so many people on here that have been trying for years and have been successful. Their stories give me hope. I hope it won't be too long before it's both mine and your turn.

bluerug23
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    And also....
    to Hope2005.....

I just wanted to THANK YOU so much for your prayers.

It means so very much to me!
    Where are you in your "journey"?

Nan75
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your answer Hope. Nothing to do but wait and see, I guess.

Julia, I SO know what you mean. I am so inpatient and have a hard time focusing, despite the fact that I have a lot of work on my desk today!! What is your TX? How long have you been trying? Where do you live?

I am unexplained so far - haven't had all the tests yet, but the major ones came out fine - bloodwork, u./s, hsg. My doctor is hopeful that it will happen, just cautioned us to be patient. Easier said than done!!

Good luck to you. I'll be thinking of you Friday. Keep in touch.

love, Nan

favresgirl
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nan, I just wanted to let you know that I am right there with you! I go in Wednesday morning also for my beta and will get the results Wednesday afternoon. I am also in the progesterone supps, though this is my 7th cycle of being on them so I am pretty used to the side effects (basically the prog. supps can give you signs of pg, whether you are or not). I have never gotten AF while on the prog. supps, it usually starts 2 days after I stop taking them. I'm trying to hard to stay optimistic for this cycle, one minute I will feel really positive about it and then the next minute I will think, no way, never going to happen. Ugh, what a horrible roller coaster of emotions this is!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for both of us for Wednesday, hoping we can move over to the pg boards together!!!!

bluerug23
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

History

Hi Nan and Monica,

We have been TTC for 2+ years. I am 34, my fiance is 37 and has a 6 yr old son from a previous marriage. So, he checks out fine! After a year of trying I went to my OBGYN. He did an HSG last May 04; tubes were open. Told us to try for a few months. I went back after the time was up and told him cramping with AF was getting worse. He recommended a laparoscopy - we did that in October 04... I was diagnosed with mild endometriosis; I had it on both sides. He was able to laser it all away. We caught it before it did any damage. He said to try on our own until 2/14 and if nothing had happened; come back. Well... I had in my mind an RE a good friend of mine had gone to and highly recommended. When the new Year rolled around and we weren't pregnant, I called and made an appointment for a consultation. He recommended we do injections with an IUI - I also have a history of bacterial infections that caused CM problems. I agreed with him and started treatment with Gonal-F injections 2/14, the second day of my cycle. I responded real well - Did 150 Mg Gonal-F for 9 days, triggered on CD10, and had the IUI 2/25 (CD12). I had produced @ 7 follicles, 4 of which were mature. My Test is Friday at 8:30am... How in the world do we work on Test day?!! I'll be on pins and needles waiting for the phone call. I'm not going to try any early home preg tests... seen too many negatives and AF comes so regularly.... ..... I want to believe it'll soon be my turn (I've watched all my friends have babies and so many people at work, etc...) and I do believe it will come ... but I can't let myself get too excited. (it's the roller coaster Monica spoke of... one minute I'll look at baby clothes or furniture and we'll talk about having a baby... the next minute I don't believe it will happen) It's a heck of a ride!!

I am in south Alabama... where are you guys?