FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

kdobie73
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone been denied IVF Coverage (when it's available) by their Insurance Carrier?

I was looking into an insurance carrier, and they cover IVF, but not if the infertilty issue is due to a previous elective sterilization by either partner. My DH had his vasectomy 5 years before he met me. I was also diagnosed with unexplained infertility 8 years ago and am now 35. I was told that a reversal would take 2 years to determine whether or not it was successful. That would put me at at least 37 years old.

WTF? Does this mean the insurance won't cover IVF? Anyone know?
    Last edited by kdobie73; 03-26-2008 at 05:34 PM.

2. Advertisement

cat mommy
    cat mommy
    has no status.
    Edit
    I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know that many carriers exclude coverage after prior voluntary sterilization.

triciaism
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know for sure either - but sounds like the reversal wouldn't be covered. After the reversal - possibly.
    Good luck to you.
    Tricia

1stN44
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had a horrible experience with that. When we started in 2002, my insurance company was picking up the costs for IF, without asking at the time about vasectomies. The RE recommended that we have it reversed as the percentages for success would be about the same (natural vs assisted). We spent the money out of pocket and TTC for almost a year, when I was laid off and lost my insurance. With my next company, I took the same insurance, which now had a special "hotline" to go to to register for infertility. The woman was asking questions which we totally in violation of HIPAA - very detailed - and determined that even though the reversal was successful, they were denying us coverage. Grrrrrrrr.

Consequently, we dropped that insurance, took my husband's, who wasn't so nosey, and I am pregnant. 3 Failed IUI's and 1 successful IVF. We adopted the don't ask, don't tell policy.

We are so thankful that is was successful as I turn 45 in July and we cannot use our own eggs at that time.

Best of luck to you!!