FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Bill W.
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Should My Wife Continue Taking Lovenox Right Up To Her Due Date?

Hello,

Before I say another word, my wife and I have been trying to conceive and carry full term since 2002. Needless to say we've had countless setbacks, and we've spent a fortune. We've had our hearts ripped out more than a few times. I know this is a tough subject for everyone on this board. Now, by the grace of God, she's pregnant, and is about 2 weeks from giving birth.

She just went into one heck of panic, thinking that everybody else in the world is OFF Lovenox come delivery time.

She has natural killer cell, MTHFR homo, and other immunilogical issues, too. Dr. Beer diagnosed her with a handful that I have written down somewhere, but to honest, only make me stressed out and depressed to go over them yet again.

Can somebody please comment on whether she should be taking Lovenox right up to giving birth, or is it normal to stop taking Lovenox before giving birth?

Thank you,
    God Bless,

And Keep Trying, We tried every month since the day we got married in August, 2002

2. Advertisement

Pecan
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi, quick answer. congrats by the way! with my ds my ob switched me to heparin a few weeks before. it was a scheduled c sec. i took my last hep shot about 2 days before.

Bill W.
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for responding. My wife is really mixed up right now because her doctor plans to keep her on Lovenox until after the birth. However, my wife thinks she shouldn't be taking the Lovenox right up to the birth. Me: I don't know what to think. I just want to learn / get some feedback from others who have gone through what she is going through.

Pecan
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    if i recall correctly, the switch to hep is b/c in the event of a need for an epidural, the hep can be reversed. post delivery i did continue with lovenox for 6 weeks. you can also post at the yahoo immunology board - that one moves faster. 1 hand typing holding 11 mos old ds

all the best,
    pecan

RCJ
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cool
    I just visiting this board, but I wanted to say that I took Lovenox up until 3 days before my scheduled c-section and then 6 weeks post partum. I was nervous about taking the Lovenox right up until the scheduled date, but my dr. didn't seem worried since I hadn't delivered early before. However, I would definately see if you could have your wife switch to heparin soon. Lovenox stays in the system much longer and could potenially cause a problem if there is an emerency c-section (hopefully that won't happen). Good luck and congratulations!

Tabithalyn
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bill
    The short answer is Lovenox remains in your system up to 24 hours (hence usually taken once a day injection)
    The Heparin is more short-lived and leaves the system within 12 hours.
    Most doctors feel comfortable leaving patient on either heparin or lovenox until 24 - 36 hours prior to any scheduled delivery.
    I do know of patients on Heparin who were allowed to remain on it right up until labour as generally a first labor is going to last approx. 12 hrs from first onset of contractions if natural labor. - but this is as Pecan states - Heparin is able to be reversed with coagulation meds while Lovenox may not be due to it's longer life in the system....

In any case, I'm sure the doctor knows if the Lovenox is easily enuf reversed during any potential bleed situation and if he is confident that she should remain on it then I'd say go with it. It is also wise that your wife follow thru with taking the Lovenox post-partum - I was an unfortunate patient that did not get prescribed my Heparin post-partum and ended up with a painful deep vein blood clot when my son was 3 wks old.... not fun!!

BTW - Congrats and hoping for a happy, healthy delivery of your longed-for infant!
    Ally
    TTC #1 for 5 + yrs (multiple losses)
    -IMMUNE ISSUES -used IVIg/Heparin&BA/Prednisone
    -SUCCESS: DS Travis-James born Jan 2/03
    -TTC #2 - 2 more angels
    -Feb/06 had LIT immune tx. - now... :