FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    scubanut2004
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Bruising Bad on Heparin - Any Suggestions??

I am now on day 10 of using heparin (2x a day) and my bruises are absolutely horrible. Some of them have lightened up but one in particular (located under the belly button) has spread and has gotten darker over the days. It now goes from the belly button to the groin area! I'm sure that one grew in size because I must of hit a vein when I injected. I don't have any other explanation for why it has gotten worse over the last few days. Does this sound normal?

Also, I'm finding that at times, the injection really stings when going in. Yet, then I don't feel it at other times. Very strange....

I have been icing the area before and after the injection but nothing is helping.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to relieve the bruising or what I can do to diminish this pain?

Thanks for any help or advice.
    TTC#1
    Me (Beth) - 42 MTHFR C677t
    DH - 43

IVF/ICSI #1 6/19/07: BFN
    IVF/ICSI #2 11/21/07: BFN
    IVF/ICSI #3 2/29/08: BFP
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

2. Advertisement

Patsy38
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Beth,

So sorry your having heparin trouble, I know it all too well, I was put on it as part of my IVF cycle and am now 27wks pregnant, there's no magic bullet, it sucks but here's just a couple of things: first off you should not be injecting near your belly button, I believe there should be a 2 inch radius around it but don't quote me also try injecting at an angle, I think it helps, also when you inject do it s-l-o-w-l-y that does help with the sting and bumps. Make sure your using the smallest possible needle like an insulin syringe the diabetics use or a #30 needle from a mixing needle. Go to a healthfood store and pick up some Arnica cream and rub that on the site a few times a day, it's supposed to help with bruising.
    Even with these little tips, about half the time it will sting horribly going in and other times it won't, wish I could always find the magic spot that doesn't hurt. Also keep rotating areas so you don't consentrate in just one spot, I do my handles a lot b/c I'm so big now but I still rotate my lower belly when I have to. Ask your doctor all the places he finds acceptable to inject and that can open up more options for you.

I hope your brusing improves and it's not so painful for you.

Patsy

scubanut2004
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Patsy, Thanks so much for your reply.

The bruising that isn't going away and keeps growing and getting darker is the one where I probably got a little too close to my belly button.

I hope I didn't cause too much damage with getting to close to the naval

I'm rotating between my stomach and my thighs right now to give my entire area an even bluish, yellowish color.

I've read up a bit about arnica and witch hazel so I'll go to the store before going home tonight and pick those up.

All I know, is that this is my third IVF and now that we know I have APA, I really do hope this is worth all the aches and pains
    TTC#1
    DH - 43

Patsy38
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Beth,

It sooo is worth the aches and pains trust me Be sure to unclude your love handles on the sides, I work that area a lot ,also I wish now that I switched to lovenox early on but I was afraid to upset the apple cart, you would only have to take that once a day though I do hear the pain is just as bad. Ask your doc about your options. I too am positive for APA's. If you stay on heparin for the duration be sure to get your heparin levels checked every 4-6 wks, my doc just upped my dosage to 10,000 2x/day b/c of low levels..Ally knows more about that stuff.

Good luck!

Patsy

crystal09
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi!
    Here is mt tip, I feel like the lower I do it on my stomach I can get more of a thin pinch of skin the less pain and bruising, evntually when I run out of room there I move to high up of my stomach, I feel like I do cycles of these two places a lot, I also do the tops of the hips sometimes it helps to give the stomach a break, after a few days of a break my stomach is usually much much better. I hope this made sense, it's my personal exper. with 23 weeks of this 2x a day! Good Luck! I really do think your skin starts to gets used to this after a while.

scubanut2004
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so very much for your suggestions. I went to the store last night and got arnica gel and witch hazel and used them both when I got home and right before I went to sleep. I woke up this morning and I swear the bruises look better already. Then again, it just may be my crazy mind and eyes playing tricks on me..again.
    TTC#1
    DH - 43

quinneimear
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Beth,

One other thing that I could add is that it's best not to wear tight clothes.

I've been injecting for 2 weeks now and the worst bruise I got was on the day that I wore low-rise jeans straight away after the moring injection! the low waist-band kind of pushes up your tummy when you bend over etc... Hope that helps

Quinne

Tabithalyn
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beth, are you currently prg or is your siggy showing an old beta result? confused

Also, good for you the heparin and arnica regime really does help (topically for bruising, lumping) I think all suggestions here are great including the monitoring and also using post-partum regime of heparin for 6 wks once/if prg. to term.

good luck!
    Ally
    TTC #1 for 5 + yrs (multiple losses)
    -IMMUNE ISSUES -used IVIg/Heparin&BA/Prednisone
    -SUCCESS: DS Travis-James born Jan 2/03
    -TTC #2 - 2 more angels
    -Feb/06 had LIT immune tx. - now... :

scubanut2004
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Preg Ment

Thank you Quinne and Tabitha,

I believe that by me taking baby aspirin and heparin after my ER, has contributed to me being pregnant today (6w5d).

Two weeks ago after my doctor got my blood results back, he reduced my heparin to only once per day because my blood was now too thin. I was a bit upset over this as I know heparin is a twice a day protocol but I was reassured to only do it once.

So far...so good.... that all continues well.
    TTC#1
    DH - 43

Tabithalyn
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beth Congrats!! You need to update your signature so that the right YEAR is telling!!

Your signature currently says you conceived 2/29/07!! we are in 08! that is what confused me....

So happy that the heparin is doing the stick trick!!
    take care,
    Ally
    TTC #1 for 5 + yrs (multiple losses)
    -IMMUNE ISSUES -used IVIg/Heparin&BA/Prednisone
    -SUCCESS: DS Travis-James born Jan 2/03
    -TTC #2 - 2 more angels
    -Feb/06 had LIT immune tx. - now... :

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast