FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

henypeny
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Thyroid antibodies

I need help in interpreting the results.I am trying to conceive for 2 over years. I recently had bloodwork done with an endocrinologist and these are the results.This was a fasting test

Cortisol(am) 9.4 (4.0-22.0)
    T4 8.4 (4.5-12.0 ug/dL)
    TSH 5.03(0.4-4.50 uiU/mL)

ACTH: 19 (5-27 pg/ml)
    T4,Free, Direct Dialysis 0.9 (0.8-2.7 mg/dL)

Thyroglobulin 1.4 LOW (2.0-35.0 mg/mL)
    Thyroglubulin Antibodies 218 HIGH (0-20 IU/mL)
    Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies 642 High (0-34 IU/mL)

The Thyroid antibodies are very high. What causes high antibodies and what can be done about it? I was prescribed levoxyl(25mcg). I am looking for something more natural which will reduce the antibodies.

Thanks!

2. Advertisement

Tabithalyn
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    henypeny,

Once the thyroid function isn't working properly the antibodies simply are there.

The antibodies aren't the cause of the thyroid dysfunction they are like an indication that there is something already wrong with it -the body basically attacks the thyroid with the ATA's (anti-thyroid antibodies) due to either lower output of hormones or excessive output of hormones. I think your dose of Levoxyl is too low considering you are actually out of range with the TSH levels --this means your thyroid is behaving sluggishly (not b/c of the ATA's though) and that is why your body is building antibodies to it.

There are many women who try alternative means of thyroid supplement and in hopes of getting the ATA's reduced. In my own case I did once take a supplement and the ATA's dropped to normal but they came back on their own too. They are something that can be prone to just flare up like everything else auto-immune related.
    here is an excellent link that discusses everything about thyroid and where I learned somuch:
    http://thyroid.about.com/cs/pregnant...nfertility.htm

I took a supplment by CNC Vitamost company - you can google search them for the TSF supplment (thyroid support formula)... also some women feel that the bovine sourced Armour is better for their purposes in getting optimal thyroid function from natural source.

Also as you can see the cortisol level is a bit lowish and many women get on some form of glandular support to help increase this.

take care and let us know if we can help more. Also if you are in hopes of ttc'ing the thyroid TSH levels should be at a level of .09 - 2 for optimal chances of conceiving and also many women with ATA's and thyroid disorder end up requiring IVIg to carry prg. especially if they are subject to repeat m/c.

regards, Ally
    TTC #1 for 5 + yrs (multiple losses)
    -IMMUNE ISSUES -used IVIg/Heparin&BA/Prednisone
    -SUCCESS: DS Travis-James born Jan 2/03
    -TTC #2 - 2 more angels
    -Feb/06 had LIT immune tx. - now... :

henypeny
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ally for your reply.

What kind of glandular support can you recommend for cortisol?

I used to have TSH about 2.3 in Jan 2006 and it fluctuated around there, My naturopath doctor wanted TSH to be between 1-2 so he prescribed armour thyroid 15mg. I tool it for 2-3 months early this year and than stopped when my TSH tested in May this year went down to 0.59. Should I have continued with armour thyroid? I thought it went down too low.

I tested my TSH about 3 weeks ago and it was 4.29. My chiropractor/nutritionist recommended Thyrosol but I tested again a few days later with my endocrinologist and it has gone up. Do you know about Thyrosol, do you think it is good? I am taking a tsp of salt and I feel more energetic and great and I can feel my heart beating. I am thinking about going back to armour thyroid but I don't think my endcrinologist will prescribe it.

Tabithalyn
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi heny,
    yes, you really must stick with one form of thyroid treatment and give it some months for it to be effective and adjust dosage accordingly, - you may just have needed to take less of the Armour -the main problem with prescribing ARmour that most docs have is that it is not always a "standardized" dosage considering it is a natural source -in other words some groups of tablets contain stronger levels than the next batch.

pls. check out the website -the supplements that I used but there are any number of glandular support formulas /adrenal and cortisol supports at local health stores -you'd just have to go and check it out and discuss with some of the health store retail people.
    http://www.cncvitamost.com/
    is the one that I really liked as they combine natural sources in with vitamin supplements

altho' salt and really "iodine" seems to be the missing link with some thyroid functioning you may need to rely on standard meds to help create the proper output hormones - the T4 and T3 levels are so important to the body and other hormonal functions and the TSH is only an indicator of whether the thyroid is doing it's job or receiving the proper signals (it works on a feedback so if the thyroid has a high TSH level it is producing too much stimulating hormone which means the body is asking the thyroid for a greater output of the T3/T4 hormones. This is why you may need the actual meds and work on gradually using some supplements and get quarterly testings done to make sure the levels are ok -if eventually you can decrease the regular meds and keep up the supplements then good for you but it may take quite a bit of work and longer process than just letting 3 mos. go by!

take care hth a wee bit.
    Ally
    TTC #1 for 5 + yrs (multiple losses)
    -IMMUNE ISSUES -used IVIg/Heparin&BA/Prednisone
    -SUCCESS: DS Travis-James born Jan 2/03
    -TTC #2 - 2 more angels
    -Feb/06 had LIT immune tx. - now... :