FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

marciab
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

MTHFR - another miscarriage

My daughter is currently going thru her 8th miscarriage. After m/c #7, she was tested for MTHFR and is positive with 1 copy of C677T and 1 copy of A1298C. Three months before she became pregnant with #8, she started the b/a, extra folic acid and the vitamen routine. As soon as she got a positive beta, she started the lovonox. She gave herself 1 shot a day and I'm not sure how much was in the shot. Everything has been perfect and her RE just released her to the perinatologist on Monday when he did a final US and said everything looked great. She was 9w3d. Now, 2 days later, the h/b is gone and she is absolutely devastated. She will have a d/c this Friday. She also has Hashimoto Disease and takes synthroid. Also, she takes prednisone daily for a chronic sinus condition.

Hopefully, her doctor will be able to test the fetus and perhaps something will show up to be the cause of this miscarriage. After following the protocol for MTHFR and then having it end in another miscarriage, I don't think she is going to be able to handle another try at having a baby unless they can tell her something other than MTHFR caused this m/c.

I have read a lot about Dr. Beer on many website and do you all think he might be able to help her? Would he run tests on the fetus? Since the d/c is scheduled for Friday, there's not a lot of time to get the logistics worked out if he would be willing to run tests. Any suggestions anyone might have on where to go from here, would be appreciated.

2. Advertisement

Lauren2005
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter's loss! May I ask, is that the only immune test she's taken? For example, repeated m/c's can cause a buildup of antibodies that can harm future pregnancies. I am a patient of Dr. Beer (completed all testing, just received results, awaiting my meeting with him in 2 weeks.) I know that his testing is comprehensive and his treatment plans are elaborate... Best wishes to your daughter. Lauren
    Last edited by Lauren2005; 08-04-2005 at 10:32 AM.

Pecan
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    marciab,
    Hi, my heart goes out to you and your family at this very trying time. To answer your questions, yes, Dr. Beer would definitely run tests on the tissue from the d&c. He often finds the best answers there and that may avoid any further testing for your daughter because the pregnant body will react differently than the nonpregnant body. She may have also developed other immune issues that need to be treated. Over time with each pregnancy our bodies sometimes become more resistant. You can e mail him at beerdoc@aol.com. Time is of the essence right now. If you don't hear from him go to his website at www.repro-med.net and get in touch with his office and speak with Chris Sanow (call her) about getting the pathology blocks from the d&c. You will need a release form for your daughter's doctor to send the blocks to Dr. Beer.

I also noticed that your daughter started the lovenox after getting pregnant. Dr. Beer's protocol requires starting lovenox (twice a day typically at 40mg) on day 6 of the cycle she is trying to conceive. He wants the blood flow to be optimal pre-conception.

I have been where your daughter is now --- four times before consulting with Dr. Beer. Our son was born on 9/01. Hang on ---there is hope.

You may send me an e mail at ghunisec@yahoo.com if you have any more questions.

Hope this helps.
    Pecan

Tanya T.
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Hi Marciab,
    (((((HUGS))))) to you & your daughter... It is such a devestating thing to go through... Many of us here have had countless m/c's like your daughter has... I honestly have had so many that I lost count of them... But what you need to know is that there is hope... After 14yrs TTC - I have a beautiful 5 month old daughter because of proper immune treatment... Please help your poor devestated daughter to not loose hope... I really think that she should have a complete immune testing done... Dr. Beer would be the best one for her to deal with - he deals with patients all over the world & so distance to him/his office should not be an issue... I agree that you should e-mail him &/or call his office... Have the D&C parraffin blocks sent to him - doing that should pinpoint the exact cause for the demise of the fetus & can be unbelievably helpful with proper diagnosis... That along with the complete immune testing will give her the answers to why it keeps happening... Tell her to take a break from TTC & get the testing done & then Dr. Beer will put her on a treatment plan that will most likely bring her success... Nothing in this world is guaranteed, but just on this BB alone there are lots & lots of miracle babies born because of proper immune treatment... I also agree that Lovenox should be started pre-conception & failing to do so can & usually does compromise the fetus if antiphospholipid antibodies are an issue... Wishing her the very best of luck...
    ((((hugs))))
    Tanya

Tabithalyn
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Marcia... girls here have given you most explicit and best advice possible.

thoughts are with you and your daughter at this time of her loss...we are here for encouraging any treatment plan she next goes thru and hope that you can have a full consult with a proper repro. immunologist doctor. (like Dr.Beers)

it sounds like the only missing component may be IVIg infusions....you may also want to discuss insurance angles/options in any phonecall to Dr.Beers' office as that may help pave the way also for any potential IVIg your daughter may need.

regards and best of luck...Ally
    TTC #1 for 5 + yrs (multiple losses)
    -IMMUNE ISSUES -used IVIg/Heparin&BA/Prednisone
    -SUCCESS: DS Travis-James born Jan 2/03
    -TTC #2 - 2 more angels
    -Feb/06 had LIT immune tx. - now... :

marciab
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all of your replies and kind words. I contacted Dr. Beer's office this morning and they gave my the info to get her started and to have the lab send them the tissue. My daughter went online this morning and filled out the application and will send them all of her records . We live in the Bay Area so we are fairly close to his office. This is a start and hopefully someday will result in a happy ending.

M