FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    macon
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

False Positives on Clearblue Easy Digital HPT

Here’s my story. I bought a three pack of the Clearblue Easy Digital pregnancy tests. I tested first thing Wednesday morning, 12dp3dt. I read all the directions and followed them carefully. I got a very clear “Pregnant” result. I was thrilled as my husband and I have been TTC for 7 years. I was so excited I called my sister and told her the good news. My Beta was scheduled for Friday. Then as I was surfing the internet looking for happy HPT positive websites and I stumbled across http://www.peeonastick.com/issues.html . It said there were some confirmed incidents of false positives on digital tests. I wasn’t really worried about a false positive because I assumed it was rare or the people didn’t do the test right. But I thought just to be sure I’d buy another brand and retest. I purchased a three pack of First Response Early Result. I retested Thursday morning with a second Clearblue Easy Digital and also a First Response Early Result. Again I read all the directions and followed them very carefully. I was shocked at the results. I fully expected both to be positive but that was not the case. Again the Clearblue Easy Digital test had a very clear “Pregnant” but the First Response Early Result was negative. It had only one line. Believe me I looked. I felt like crying. I had two more First Response Early Result tests so I used another one. I thought maybe the first one was bad. I got a negative with that test too. So now I am assuming I am not pregnant. I tested again this morning before I went in for my beta. This time I got a negative with both the Clearblue Easy Digital and the First Response Early Result. So now I am assuming I am not pregnant. Needless to say I won’t be buying the Clearblue Easy Digital again. I’ve been reading the boards for a couple years but I’m kind of shy and this is my first post, but I just felt like I had to warn everyone so you wouldn’t go through the heartache I’ve been through these past few days. I get the results of my beta this afternoon. If it’s positive I will post the results, but I’m fully assuming it will be yet another negative so I’ll probably go back to my lurking. Thanks for listening.
    Macon

2. Advertisement

sweet em
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hugs - macon!! Who knows right...that beta will tell everthing. IF it is a false positive than I would be very upset with the company. False negatives are one thing but false positives are almost criminal!! I'll be looking for news of your beta. It is possible that the other tests weren't as sensitive as the digital test. Best wishes!

houndlover
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Macon - I hope you get a wonderful suprise from your Beta today. Please post your results.

Here's some extra BABYDUST!!

firewife
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi ladies,

I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this. I know that you posted this a while ago. But I was wanting to know what you found out.

and also to let you know. I know how you feel. Dh and I have Been TTC for 4 years. I have a blocked tube. about 6 months ago. I was a week late so I bought those ClearBlue Easy Digital test ( I figured what the hell, I use the OPK test and love them) well I got a "POSITIVE". I took it in the early morning before work. I couldn't believe it. I had to splash water on my face. And look at it again. I started crying. and called Dh to tell him. We went out that night and bought a pair of baby shoes. put then in two different boxes. wrapped them with wrapping paper. (needless to say my father had a major accident right before this and was in ICU for 6mths. and now has brain damage) I was so excited My family really needed so great news. I went in the next day to get my Beta done. and it was negitive. Negitive. They said they couldn't tell me if it was a chemical pregnancy or a false positive.
    I didn't believe it I took a test everyday after that until AF showed up.

I know how you feel and I know how hard of a blow it is after TTC as long as we both have. I cried for a month after that. 4 years of TTC and that was my first ever positive test. Just thinking about it now is making me want to cry again.

I am sorry that you had to go through this pain! but I am hoping your story has a good ending not like mine.

Debbie

jbourke
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll make sure never to buy them... I have never had a +, and would rather it be real...
    Me 30 DH 37 TTC 4.5 yrs 5 IUI's & a LAP in 04 (endo) ALL BFN
    IVF # 1 Aug 05 BFN (5 frozen) FET#1 Sept 06 BFN.
    LOW LAD elevated NK cells. IVIg, Prednisone & had LIT on Nov 1st. Last FET approx Nov 23/06 Then we are done and moving to adoption!
    Mademoiselle of all clarinet players & scrap booking who’s a wonderful mommy to 2 furdoggies and 1 furkitty whom will defeat IF from Toronto people.

madame maman
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

i'll have to agree: ClearBlue digital gives false positives

i'm too upset to rant and provide all details of my story, but of 10 hpt tests in a 3-day period, I tested negative on every single test except the ClearBlue Digital. ClearBlue was the first test (14dpo) I used and bang! positive!

it was a big first, i told my dh. by told i mean i took photos and sent them multiple emails to my dh! needless to say it was a big letdown and confusion when i tested the next day to 'confirm' and after 4 tests and 4 bfns, I had to accept what was happening here. BFN!!!

I then read that possibly my cheapie tests CVS generic brand were only sensitive enough to read higher levels of hCG serum unlike the newer digitals, so I test again, with ClearBlue Digital with the smallest sample. bang! another positive! the two positive ClearBlue Digital tests were purchased from two different locations. so here i go again, chasing ghosts! i can't imagine how hard it must be to create a digital machine that <b>doesn't </b>work like it should. to add, there are absolutely no warnings about false positives on the packaging.

thinking about making a formal complaint. a bfp is the small snowball that starts a chain reaction of events in a woman's life. if a ClearBlue is bold enough to state 99% accuracy, they'd better be bold enough to admit their mistake: erroneous hpt engineering.

i am a little bit enraged,

i could cry.

i don't know what will happen next..thanks ClearBlue! ugh!

Blossomo
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Me, too

I got a false positive from a Clearblue Digital Easy on my first IVF cycle. I took it 12 days past transfer (so all of the HCG should have been cleared from my system) and it most certainly said "PREGNANT." I was pretty crushed 2 days later when my beta came back BFN.

Boo!

madame maman
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

blood test then complain

i have blood test scheduled tomorrow am. while i wait for the results i will prepare a statement or letter of complaint. depending on the results, the tele-operator at Clearblue is in for an earful. They will not be able to weasel out of anything and by the end of the conversation, i will insist they agree to publish whatever garbage they've told me to explain away their engineering issues and faulty tests.

somebody will be held accountable. women use and rely on hpt and are at the mercy of the industry. if the tests were free, we'd no room to complain. but to pay $7.60 for a false positive and then some for all the subsequent pricey tests to either supoort or deny this "positive" is one thing no woman should have to go through.

ok i'm starting to rant.

clearblue you and i are gonna have our day....

babywarrior
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had a false positive, too, from an hpt. It was a Rite Aid brand one. This time around, I am waiting until my blood test, because I think that bfp made it more difficult when it was really a bfn.
    Me (33) & DH (38) TTC #1 for 5 years
    DX: PCOS & MTHFR; DH: low count (double whammy!)

IVF#1: 2 transferred 8/23/09 - BFN
    FET#1: 3 transferred 9/29 - BFN
    FET #2: 3 transferred. 11/3 - BFN
    IVF/ET #4: 2 transferred 3/12 - BFN

Then....
    a NATURAL MIRACLE!!! BFP!!!
    Due Jan. 10, 2011

RiazVW32
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Good luck babywarrior! I used ClearBlue digital too. I got a bfp and it was right. Unfortunately, no heartbeat and had to do a d&c. I will not be using ClearBlue again because of these posts. Why the heck do they charge $50 for something that gives you false positives?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast